Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:41 AM

20 posts, read 177,010 times

Advertisements

You guys might have seen another thread started by me some time ago about me desiring to move to LA in 2008. I currently reside on the east coast in Washington, D.C. and I have been dreaming of someday working in the fashion industry. I've been aspiring to attend the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising for about 3 yrs now and I know that that's where I belong and where I will be attending school come fall 2008. It's a private college, with a beautiful campus and I would be paying housing costs quarterly to stay in an apartment complex called "The Medici", with apartments set aside for FIDM students, which is located about 5 blocks from the campus. Any idea on what these apartments are like? They look gorgeous in the pictures but like everything, looks can be deceiving. I have high goals and dreams and I know it takes perseverance to obtain what you have came to LA for and not get caught up in the glitz and glamour and I believe I have what it takes. If anyone could give me information on what it would probably be like for me to live here, any information would be gladly appreciated. Also, out of a span of 9 months, I will probably only go back to visit on the east coast twice for maybe a week and a half each visit. I wonder whether LA is thrilling enough to make it easier to cope with being homesick. Let me know any information and advice you're willing to share!

Thanks and best regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 09:40 PM

153 posts, read 637,610 times
The Medici is okay. I had a friend who lived there until about 2 months ago. She had complaints, but so does everyone! One thing, though- you will not, I repeat WILL NOT be able to walk around the area. Ever. It's just not a thing you will want to even consider.

Having said that, however, you will be Downtown, which is fantastic and has lots to offer, especially for those creatively inclined. MOCA, all the galleries (try LA Weekly for new openings and happenings at the art galleries), Chinatown, Central Library- which is gorgeous and has its own history, free shows through Grand Performances in the summertime, etc. Also, take one (or several if you're curious) of the walking tours offered by the group LA Conservancy. Seriously, folks who say, "LA has no culture" clearly don't know their history or all that's available (for a very low cost) at their fingertips. You'll be inspired by some of architecture and hidden gems. Take photos and bring a friend- hey bring several! Get out and about.

Just don't walk alone Downtown. Really, don't do it. Other than that, you should be fine and you should really enjoy yourself. There's more (I should know, I'm an LA native and I did my own photo essay of the city starting in Downtown and went all the way to the beach), but it'll come to me later. Hope this helps and have fun!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:48 PM

18 posts, read 82,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemaryland View Post
You guys might have seen another thread started by me some time ago about me desiring to move to LA in 2008. I currently reside on the east coast in Washington, D.C. and I have been dreaming of someday working in the fashion industry. I've been aspiring to attend the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising for about 3 yrs now and I know that that's where I belong and where I will be attending school come fall 2008. It's a private college, with a beautiful campus and I would be paying housing costs quarterly to stay in an apartment complex called "The Medici", with apartments set aside for FIDM students, which is located about 5 blocks from the campus. Any idea on what these apartments are like? They look gorgeous in the pictures but like everything, looks can be deceiving. I have high goals and dreams and I know it takes perseverance to obtain what you have came to LA for and not get caught up in the glitz and glamour and I believe I have what it takes. If anyone could give me information on what it would probably be like for me to live here, any information would be gladly appreciated. Also, out of a span of 9 months, I will probably only go back to visit on the east coast twice for maybe a week and a half each visit. I wonder whether LA is thrilling enough to make it easier to cope with being homesick. Let me know any information and advice you're willing to share!

Thanks and best regards
Hi

I got to FIDM in SF. I had a friend who attended the LA campus & came back the following quarter (as most bay area students do) & she lived in The Medici with some other friends. They liked the place & all but she strongly advised me to NOT live downtown. She told me to go to Park La Brea (which I most likely will) or that community in West Hollywood. Most LA natives will tell you to stay out of the downtown area as well.

Also, FIDM housing prices are a big ripoff. If you want to cut your rent in half and don't care to not have a roommate, try renting one of the apartment on your own without going through FIDM's housing program. I personally cannot stand rooming with others. Park La Brea's 2 bdrm apartments start in $17-1800s. If I went through FIDM I would be paying $2700 with a roommate!!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
I would strongly recommend living in Koreatown. It's close to campus and it's a safe area. (much, much safer than Downtown) If you do stay at Medici, please adhere to the advice to not walk around downtown by yourself (especially at night). Please stay vigilant. As much as I can't stand public transportation, from Koreatown you can take the number 66 down 8th street. It's one of the only bus routes that runs half way decently. It'll let you off at FIDM. Good Luck

Old 03-30-2008, 08:34 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
I was at the Medici last month in a room with some FIDM students. I thought it looked pretty nice. The girl I was staying with moved out from there though because she couldn't afford it.

I know she said she missed it and would love to move back if she could. She loved being close enough to walk to classes. However, she's not comparing it to the best place in the city right now. She lives at the Wilshire Royale, across the street from MacArthur Park. I know when she starts her internship in the fall she's moving to El Segundo.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:46 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,119,229 times
If I lived at the Wilshire Royale, I'd want to move, too. Horrible area. She may as well have stayed downtown. (ugh) If you don't stay downtown, go all the way to Koreatown (west of Vermont). His friend stopped halfway. I'm sure she regrets it.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:39 AM

13 posts, read 67,142 times
congratulations about your acceptance at FIDM. i actually work at the school as an academic advisor so if you have any questions, i'd be happy to ease your concerns about the school.

personally, i think downtown is a really, really neat area. & i would never say not to walk around there by yourself ever. i mean, during the day, i walk around by myself all the time. there's tons of people out -- security guards, police men, etc. i walk to lunch; i listen to music. i love being amongst all the buildings & would love to live there or in koreatown one day.

but another really good option, as some of the others have mentioned, is park la brea. many fidm students live there -- it's a little fidm community & it's close to the grove & in a much, much safer neighborhood. you could certainly walk at night there. it's just a matter of whether or not you have public transportation.

but in all honesty, outside of my job, i know some students who rent through the housing and they pay so much more than i pay to live in these boring cookie cutter apartments and share a room. i live in a beautiful, 1920s, two bedroom townhouse in east hollywood/los feliz area for the same rent that a girl i know pays to share a room in a small apartment in park la brea.

so it's just matter of preference, i suppose. i just think you should check out all your options.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,216,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
If I lived at the Wilshire Royale, I'd want to move, too. Horrible area. She may as well have stayed downtown. (ugh) If you don't stay downtown, go all the way to Koreatown (west of Vermont). His friend stopped halfway. I'm sure she regrets it.
Yea, she's definitely happy to be graduating and moving to El Segundo. She's actually from a pretty wealthy family so it's a big change. It was nice to see though on a visit. I took a long walk when I had some spare time before she got home from work.(she works at Anthropologie at The Grove) It was fun to look at and explore, but NOT where I'd want to live everyday of my life. I couldn't find a place to eat over there either. There was nothing in English. I ended up finding a taco stand and understood the work "burrito", so I got that. haha

Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 16,397 times
IloveMaryland....omg....we have identical stories...almost. I'm from PA and have been looking at Fashion Schools for the last 3 years myself...I am finally at a place where I am going to make the move cross country. I got accepted for the fall and am beginning the process of securing a place. Have you found where you want to live yet? I'd love to get to know you...we share a lot of the same similarities...at least with living on the East coast.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:39 AM

1 posts, read 13,951 times
I just signed up for a 2 bedroom apt. at "The Metropolitan" located right next to FIDM LA campus, but I need a roommate for Fall 2008. Cost approx. $1,200./month with parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles