Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyrbestbetxx View Post
LOL. he's just being honest.
If she doesn't want to struggle in LA, I would agree with ohhi that she should stay home and save up some money until California's economy is better.
Having roommates does cut the cost a little, but overall, making $2000/month and having some savings is still going to be a struggle.

I grew up in San Marino (SGV), went to college at CU-Boulder, and now I'll be returning to LA to go to FIDM. Although i would LOVE to live in the LA area so I don't have to commute 40+mins everyday (both ways), I'm going to live at home because I don't want to be struggling with money. I have $20,000 saved but I just don't think that's going to be enough since I won't have a job while going to school.
and you are using your head even if you did go to Boulder (only kidding about that part, I went there for a year and my dad graduated from there, many moons ago)

To many only see the dreams and say no one should smother someones dreams, that just isn't true. The young people who come here and ask "can I make it"? need to be told how really tough it is.

Being much older I see so much more than some, certainly more than I did at 21..It is easy to look at pictures, listen to stories and imagine how wonderful a place can be, that is a dream but not reality.

I am sure you will be on your own soon, Good luck

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It's useful to be realistic - it IS expensive in LA - but at the same time so much of this is really subjective. Her math might be off, but plenty of people survive (and are happy) on much less than $15/hour. It's admittedly a lot easier when you're young, have no dependents, no debt, and are willing to compromise if needed. Most people can take more risks earlier in life (or simply pre-spouse, pre-kids, pre-well established career) and while I'd never suggest anyone leave a current job to move somewhere right now, she does have a job lined up. Sure, it might not be there down the road, but who's to say her job at home would be either?

I think the room rental advice is good. You can get a roommate later on, or depending on finances get a studio of your own. It's true that a security deposit and move-in costs can add up to some serious money.

And the car thing in LA really bugs me - in some jobs it is absolutely essential to have a car, but for other people they CAN do without it and live just fine. Reading these forums you hear all the time about how people absolutely positively have to drive, and that's just not true for everyone. For some people they can dramatically cut costs - no more parking costs, insurance, gas, etc. - if they live without a car. A monthly metro pass is still a good deal. If you're the kind of person who either has to drive for your job or who simply prefers to own a car, then yes, by all means do factor in those - potentially very large - costs when making your monthly budget. And if you choose not to drive, then your quality of life will be dependent on factoring that into your choice of neighborhood.

I think people need to be realistic about what they're getting themselves into, and not dig themselves into a hole of debt, but she wanted to know if it's doable, and it is - depending on what she's willing to personally sacrifice.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
It's useful to be realistic - it IS expensive in LA - but at the same time so much of this is really subjective. Her math might be off, but plenty of people survive (and are happy) on much less than $15/hour. It's admittedly a lot easier when you're young, have no dependents, no debt, and are willing to compromise if needed. Most people can take more risks earlier in life (or simply pre-spouse, pre-kids, pre-well established career) and while I'd never suggest anyone leave a current job to move somewhere right now, she does have a job lined up. Sure, it might not be there down the road, but who's to say her job at home would be either?

I think the room rental advice is good. You can get a roommate later on, or depending on finances get a studio of your own. It's true that a security deposit and move-in costs can add up to some serious money.

And the car thing in LA really bugs me - in some jobs it is absolutely essential to have a car, but for other people they CAN do without it and live just fine. Reading these forums you hear all the time about how people absolutely positively have to drive, and that's just not true for everyone. For some people they can dramatically cut costs - no more parking costs, insurance, gas, etc. - if they live without a car. A monthly metro pass is still a good deal. If you're the kind of person who either has to drive for your job or who simply prefers to own a car, then yes, by all means do factor in those - potentially very large - costs when making your monthly budget. And if you choose not to drive, then your quality of life will be dependent on factoring that into your choice of neighborhood.

I think people need to be realistic about what they're getting themselves into, and not dig themselves into a hole of debt, but she wanted to know if it's doable, and it is - depending on what she's willing to personally sacrifice.
sorry, I don't think many people, survive and are HAPPY on much less than $15 per hour...let's be real...Same with surviving without a car, yes, it can be done, much easier than it was 20 years ago, but, depending on where you live and work it isn't easy...Even if you do not own a car you need to figure in the cost of transportation. I don't think anyone is saying, you can not live on $15 an hour, what we are trying to be honest about, it is going to be a stretch...
Nita

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, I don't think many people, survive and are HAPPY on much less than $15 per hour...let's be real...Same with surviving without a car, yes, it can be done, much easier than it was 20 years ago, but, depending on where you live and work it isn't easy...Even if you do not own a car you need to figure in the cost of transportation. I don't think anyone is saying, you can not live on $15 an hour, what we are trying to be honest about, it is going to be a stretch...
Nita
Again, I think it depends on your stage in life - I knew many people in their 20s who lived on that kind of salary and were fine. Sure, they would have liked more money, but their overall quality of life wasn't limited because of it.

And my point about the car was exactly that - choose your neighborhood wisely if you are planning to go carless, and factor in transportation costs of all kinds. A $60 bus pass is just a lot cheaper than a car. LA's public transportation is still pretty cheap compared to a lot of other cities.

Overall I do agree, though, that $15 an hour goes a lot more other places, and that she shouldn't expect a life of luxury. (and luxury will start to define things like going to the movies).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles