Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:02 AM

24 posts, read 37,907 times

Advertisements

I've never been to California. So, my friend and I decided to go this summer just before classes restart in August. I have a few questions.

1) We're taking the greyhound from Phoenix, AZ to LA, I just read that the greyhound station in Downtown LA is a bit Sketchy, as I'm sure it's true, I won't bother to ask, but is it so dangerous that one would deter two (to three) bright-eyed, bushy-tailed college students from going?

2) Our hotel is less than two miles away, and we won't have any real "luggage", is walking through that neighborhood an option? My friend walks like the wind's beneath her feet so we'd get their in no time.

3) Our first stop will most likely be the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood. How would we get there from downtown LA? I've been looking at the schedule and everything on the transit website, but I'm mildly confused.

4) That's all we have planned so far. I know there is SO much more to do in LA than go to a music store lol. Do buses go to the beaches in LA?
And would it be possible, or reasonable to visit some other part of California while we're there? Maybe spend a few hours in a different hot-spot? This may be difficult because it's only a three-day, two-night trip.

5) One of us is still under the legal drinking age, though neither of us are really drinkers. What is the minimum age to get into bars and "fun" clubs in California? Will age severely affect our abilities to have a good time (at least during the day)?

6) Any other info you may want to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:25 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,485,700 times
Why don't you drive out and not spend your entire trip waiting for a bus?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:45 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,459,201 times
Yeah, without a car you'd do best to limit your trip. There are buses to the beaches. You'll probably just want to go to Santa Monica this time around.

Virgin Megastore is right on the Red Line (Hollywood & Highland) from DT. But why go there when you can take the Hollywood & Vine stop, walk down to Sunset Blvd and go to Amoeba Hollywood? You'll be there all day, I pretty much guarantee it. They also have live shows, free and all ages welcome; check their website.

You probably read the recent thread regarding Greyhound where I recommended Hollywood Forever Cemetery. If you're coming out in the summertime they also have outdoor film screenings that are pretty cool, though a little "scene"-y and crowded nowadays. Bring your own refreshments and find a place to sit. They have a website too. Transit home should be fine, but think about budgeting for a cab just in case.

As for your safety, gosh, it's hard to vouch for anyone's safety in a seedy neighborhood. All I can say is be smart. You'll probably be fine.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,642,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Nickel View Post
5) One of us is still under the legal drinking age, though neither of us are really drinkers. What is the minimum age to get into bars and "fun" clubs in California? Will age severely affect our abilities to have a good time (at least during the day)?
Well the drinking age is 21 here. But any bar with a full menu is open to all ages as long as the menu items are served. So TGIF, Hooters, Bubba Gump's and the like is your playground.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Why don't you drive out and not spend your entire trip waiting for a bus?
Because neither one of us drives

Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Yeah, without a car you'd do best to limit your trip. There are buses to the beaches. You'll probably just want to go to Santa Monica this time around.

Virgin Megastore is right on the Red Line (Hollywood & Highland) from DT. But why go there when you can take the Hollywood & Vine stop, walk down to Sunset Blvd and go to Amoeba Hollywood? You'll be there all day, I pretty much guarantee it. They also have live shows, free and all ages welcome; check their website.

You probably read the recent thread regarding Greyhound where I recommended Hollywood Forever Cemetery. If you're coming out in the summertime they also have outdoor film screenings that are pretty cool, though a little "scene"-y and crowded nowadays. Bring your own refreshments and find a place to sit. They have a website too. Transit home should be fine, but think about budgeting for a cab just in case.

As for your safety, gosh, it's hard to vouch for anyone's safety in a seedy neighborhood. All I can say is be smart. You'll probably be fine.

My friend has always wanted to go to the Virgin Megastore in LA. Maybe we can just do both.

Yeah. We talked about the cab thing. We're trying to avoid it. But it's certainly in our budget.

Oh and, what of food!? I don't want to go to LA and eat McD's for three days. Are there any nice restaurants in the LA-Hollywood area that won't break the bank?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Well the drinking age is 21 here. But any bar with a full menu is open to all ages as long as the menu items are served. So TGIF, Hooters, Bubba Gump's and the like is your playground.
Ahh so the usual? Nice lol

Old 02-14-2009, 03:41 PM

705 posts, read 3,300,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Nickel View Post
I've never been to California. So, my friend and I decided to go this summer just before classes restart in August. I have a few questions.

1) We're taking the greyhound from Phoenix, AZ to LA, I just read that the greyhound station in Downtown LA is a bit Sketchy, as I'm sure it's true, I won't bother to ask, but is it so dangerous that one would deter two (to three) bright-eyed, bushy-tailed college students from going?

No, the station is quite safe. I picked up my girl around 11pm at night one time and she was by herself waiting for me but there was no real danger.

2) Our hotel is less than two miles away, and we won't have any real "luggage", is walking through that neighborhood an option? My friend walks like the wind's beneath her feet so we'd get their in no time.

Yes, of course. Take that notion about LA being "Gang and crime" infested out of your head. L.A. is actually one of the safest mega cities in the world, but of course it wasnt always like this and L.A. has really improved in the past decade.

3) Our first stop will most likely be the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood. How would we get there from downtown LA? I've been looking at the schedule and everything on the transit website, but I'm mildly confused.

Theres several red line metro stations in downtown that would take you directly to Hollywood and Highland where the store is located.

4) That's all we have planned so far. I know there is SO much more to do in LA than go to a music store lol. Do buses go to the beaches in LA?
And would it be possible, or reasonable to visit some other part of California while we're there? Maybe spend a few hours in a different hot-spot? This may be difficult because it's only a three-day, two-night trip.

I would take the puple line to where it ends on Wilshire and Western and then catch a "rapid" metro bus to the beach or bus. I would also take the blue line to Long Beach, the red line to North Hollywood, Universal Studios, Hollywood, and Korea town then the Gold line to Pasadena, but definately visit Santa Monica and Venice by bus.

L.A. is the entertainment capitol and it stands by its name. Theres several clubs in the city that are 18+ and some that are even 16+. Like I mentioned before, visit Univeral Studios theme park! its in the middle of the city and easily accesible by the red line. Melrose Ave. and the Sunset strip are really cool as well. OH! and Farmers Market on Fairfax.

6) Any other info you may want to add?
L.A. is AWESOME.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:13 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,459,201 times
Chowhounding is an entirely separate endeavor, and I'd be putting you on a bus to everywhere in the LA basin. So I'll just say there ain't nothin' wrong with the 99 cent menu at a fast food joint. You're from Phoenix so you know that Mexican food'll give you the best bang for the buck, and there's plenty here. Don't dismiss the ugly, charmless strip malls for any sort of ethnic food. That's where the life is, and the cuisine. You'll find them everywhere. But make the food incidental; I don't want to direct you to any specific place since it's only 3 days on a college budget.

Otherwise, my only specific recommendation might be Knitting Factory, close to Virgin, where you're going anyway. It's a music venue that serves food. General admission (all ages) is $10, more or less depending on who's playing. You can check their website. Their menu is less than $10 and is about TGIF quality. So that's dinner and a show for one night. Go to Pink's since it's on TV a lot and you can say you've been there. But fuel up cheap at the hotel with, like, a roasted chicken from the grocery store, and just have coffee and dessert at a sidewalk cafe for your luncheon/dining/people watching experience.

The cab cost can be cut by at least getting to Union Station. There's a cab stand there. The problem is the Red Line stops running at around midnight, which...what the hell?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,767,081 times
Hollywood has lots of cheap, interesting places to eat. I echo the advice to go to Amoeba. Also, when in Hollywood, go beyond just Hollywood and Highland; better yet, walk up Hollywood Blvd the whole way between Highland and Vine. Hollywood and Highland (where the Virgin store is) is kind of over-touristy, so do venture out beyond there. Downtown to Hollywood via red line metro is only about 15 minutes or so.

Closer to Hollywood and Normandie (you can take the bus up and down Hollywood Blvd easily enough, or Sunset) or Hollywood and Western there are tons and tons of good Armenian and Thai places to eat. Otherwise there are plenty of little hole-in-the-wall spots all up and down Hollywood Blvd along the Walk of Fame part. You'll have plenty of options beyond the standard fast food chains.

If your trip is over a Sunday I highly recommend the Hollywood Farmer's Market (Hollywood Blvd and Ivar) - besides the obvious produce there's lots of prepared food options, live music, crafts, and just tons of good people watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles