Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 PM

10 posts, read 21,498 times

Advertisements

we are between the ages of 26-29. We rented a car, and our hotel is near Price Is Right. Please feel free to add things I am missing or even take things off my list that you think aren't worthwhile. Looking for both worthwhile tourist areas and also the hot spots to be at right now are. Thank in advance! Visiting the beginning of April.

LA Itinerary

Places To Eat

Sushi Roku
Koi
Asia De Cuba
Jones on 3rd (breakfast / lunch)
In & Out
Shutters (In Malibu)
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
The Griddle (breakfast)
Ketchup
The Grill on Rodeo Drive
Crustaceans
Highlands in Hollywood Blvd
Dolce (Ashton Kutcher Restaurant)
Spago (Wolfgang Puck)
Geisha House

Things To Do / Places To See
Beverly Hills Hotel
Decades / Decades 2 (vintage shop) walk around the area
Chinese Theater
Paramount Studios
Dough Boys (walk around area)
Sunset Ave / Rodeo Drive / Robertson
Ktison
Star Maps Tour
Malibu for the day
San Diego for the day (Laguna beach on the way) (Gas Lamp District)
Farmers Market
Venice Beach
Melrose Place
Santa Monica For the Day?
Best beaches to see in Los Angeles?
Burbank / Glendora / Arcadia / Glendale
Griffith Observatory
Getty Museum
Drive up or down Pacific Coast Highway
Santa Monica

Places To Go Out
Chattae Marmont (Bar In Hotel)
Mandarin Sky Bar
Bar near Standard Hotel with electric bull?
Guy's Bar (Owned by people in "That 70's show?)
Teddy's
Roosevelt Hotel (Tropicana)
The Standard Roof
Moonshadows in Malibu
Mood / Spider Club / Nacional / SkyClub /
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 04:54 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadelb View Post
we are between the ages of 26-29. We rented a car, and our hotel is near Price Is Right. Please feel free to add things I am missing or even take things off my list that you think aren't worthwhile. Looking for both worthwhile tourist areas and also the hot spots to be at right now are. Thank in advance! Visiting the beginning of April.

LA Itinerary

Places To Eat

Sushi Roku
Koi
Asia De Cuba
Jones on 3rd (breakfast / lunch)
In & Out
Shutters (In Malibu)
Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
The Griddle (breakfast)
Ketchup
The Grill on Rodeo Drive
Crustaceans
Highlands in Hollywood Blvd
Dolce (Ashton Kutcher Restaurant)
Spago (Wolfgang Puck)
Geisha House

Things To Do / Places To See
Beverly Hills Hotel
Decades / Decades 2 (vintage shop) walk around the area
Chinese Theater
Paramount Studios
Dough Boys (walk around area)
Sunset Ave / Rodeo Drive / Robertson
Ktison
Star Maps Tour
Malibu for the day
San Diego for the day (Laguna beach on the way) (Gas Lamp District)
Farmers Market
Venice Beach
Melrose Place
Santa Monica For the Day?
Best beaches to see in Los Angeles?
Burbank / Glendora / Arcadia / Glendale
Griffith Observatory
Getty Museum
Drive up or down Pacific Coast Highway
Santa Monica

Places To Go Out
Chattae Marmont (Bar In Hotel)
Mandarin Sky Bar
Bar near Standard Hotel with electric bull?
Guy's Bar (Owned by people in "That 70's show?)
Teddy's
Roosevelt Hotel (Tropicana)
The Standard Roof
Moonshadows in Malibu
Mood / Spider Club / Nacional / SkyClub /
The main thing I would suggest is leaving more time for Laguna/San Diego

Laguna Beach is a great destination to walk around and see the sights - could easily spend an entire afternoon there. Here is what I suggest: Leave LA early morning & head towards Huntington Beach (beautiful beaches and lovely little town) Spend some time there, then take PCH (Hwy 1) down south, through Newport and then end up at Laguna. Eat, shop, enjoy the scenery... I have not personally experienced it, but heard there are great bars/clubs there. Either stay there and head to San Diego in the am, or head down to San Diego for the eve and start fresh and early with your sightseeing.

San Diego is a great place to visit and I'd plan an entire day/eve there. The Gaslamp area is really cool at night - during the day there are tons of nice beaches, the zoo, sea world, fun places to shop & eat.

All the restaurants on your list sound great, although I have only been to a handful of them.

In-N-Out is something you must experience
Hollywood & Highland is fun & you'll see the cleaner part of Hollywood
Coffee Bean is like Starbucks (but better)
Gladstones & Dukes (not on your list) - both in Malibu, on the beach, are fun places to eat
Spago (not impressed)

Manns Chinese Theater is right there by Hollywood & Highland - so you can see both at once

Getty Museum is neat
Griffith Observatory is fun (was just redone)
Venice Beach is definitely an experience
Star Maps Tour - I guess ALL tourists need to do one of those.

Have a great time!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
If anyone's into classic cars, you might want to check out the Petersen (Petersen Automotive Museum).

If you like dim sum, LA's got some of the best around. CBS Seafood in LA's Chinatown is pretty good (not too expensive either) and there's a cheap ($3) parking lot across the street. Don't even bother trying to park in their lot.

You can't come to LA without eating at Phillipes's French Dip, right on the edge of Chinatown. It gets REALLY busy though so be prepared to circle for a place to sit. Go at night if you can when its not as busy.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:15 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
You could do Santa Monica and Venice for a day or half a day since they are a short walk away, but its definately a MUST.
I recommend that you visit Hollywood on foot and not by car because Hollywood has the heaviest traffic in L.A. IMO. For that I would recommend that you drive to Universal City off the 101 north of Hollywood. Exit on Lankersheim and park at the Metro parking lot and ride the subway to Hollywood. You can visit Hollywood, Korea Town, Thai Town, Downtown, China Town, Little Tokyo, Pasadena and even Long Beach for just 5$. (Metro day passes are 5 dollars)

Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
thats a lot to do in a week. your should cut it down. some of those places seem like "it" spots. what is the real motivation to go there? it reminds me of when lucy came to hollywood. she just HAD to be where the celebrities are at.

maybe i take it for granted because i live in LA, but i have no interest in most of those places you mention. i would rather get some good eats at an underground location. one that isnt well known. one that locals do.

but people do love the hollywood lights...

Old 03-25-2009, 05:25 PM

Wow, thank guys. I'm glad I posted this itinerary early. I will definitely do that Laguna Beach / San Diego tour and also take the metro into Hollywood. I'm trying to figure out what things on my list should be done together (as far as convenience and distance) Also, does anybody have any recommended L.A tours I should do? Thinking of checking out the Warner Brothers or Paramount Studio tours as well.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
thats a lot to do in a week. your should cut it down. some of those places seem like "it" spots. what is the real motivation to go there? it reminds me of when lucy came to hollywood. she just HAD to be where the celebrities are at.

maybe i take it for granted because i live in LA, but i have no interest in most of those places you mention. i would rather get some good eats at an underground location. one that isnt well known. one that locals do.

but people do love the hollywood lights...
I would love some local recommendations as well. I dont mind cutting down on the "it" places at all. This is just what I have read about or what friends have told me to do. Please feel free to post any suggestions as I am open to changes. I really want to see all different aspects of L.A. Who knows, if I like it I might end up moving there in a few years.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
You can't come to LA without eating at Phillipes's French Dip, right on the edge of Chinatown. It gets REALLY busy though so be prepared to circle for a place to sit. Go at night if you can when its not as busy.
I love Phillipe's. We just ate there last week.
Philippe's

Nearby is Olvera Street which is always fun;
Olvera Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the San Antonio Winery for some wine tasting.
Welcome To San Antonio Winery & Maddalena Restaurant (http://www.sanantoniowinery.com/homefr.html - broken link)

Old 03-25-2009, 05:32 PM

93 posts, read 188,535 times
Never been to LA, but a few suggestions :

Beaches
Manhattan Beach (Redondo and Hermosa are similar)
Newport Beach
Dockweller

Tourist stuff
Hollywood Sign (or go up in the hills just to see the stars homes, etc)
Santa Monica Pier
3rd St Promenade

I would also suggest going to the top clubs and stuff. They are too expensive to drink at, and a ***** to get into. But you can do some great people watching.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:37 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,815 times
I forgot to mention that you must visit Pinks Hotdogs on La Brea and Melrose. It got voted as the number one spot for hot dogs in the country on a tv show last year...can't remember which one but its definately always amongst the highest ranked. I recommend to visit on a weekend after a night out since they stay open til 3 or so and the line is a fourth of what it is during the day but if you cant eat after dark then dont visit during lunch/dinner hrs (valuable see L.A. time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles