Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 12,437 times

Advertisements

Seeking advice please!

We are moving from Fort Greene, Brooklyn to L.A. with 2 small children. Our current neighborhood is vibrant, hip, neighborly (very!), diverse and liberal. Our children will be attending an independent elementary school in Van Nuys, so that is off the table. The grandparents live near LAX.

Which neighborhood would you recommend that has a sense of community, culture, ability to walk places, aesthetics/nature or simply interesting people. I know we can't find perfection. One of us is in TV/film, one is a musician /music teacher. Looking to rent a house for a couple of years in the $3000 - 3500-ish range.

Or somewhere else within easy commute of Van Nuys?

Many thanks for any helpful insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:47 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
I think both Studio City & Sherman Oaks as well as Encino would be a comfortable fit for you. Keep in mind that the San Fernando valley is suburban so people drive just about everywhere & public transit is nothing like you may be familiar with in New York. The valley is hip but laid back so swimming pools might be more common that coffee shops [compared to NYC]. It is middle to upper middle-class with relatively good shopping & plenty of cultural opportunities [esp with Hollywood just over the hills]. The valley is liberal & may be even more diverse than NYC. You should be able to find a nice place for what you are willing to pay for rent [with pool]. There are good deli's on Ventura Blvd as good as any Jewish deli in NYC plus you can eat outdoors all year long.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbaby View Post
Our children will be attending an independent elementary school in Van Nuys,
One of us is in TV/film, one is a musician /music teacher.

Or somewhere else within easy commute of Van Nuys?

Is Van Nuys the only place you are commuting to? Just to the school? Where are the jobs?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
Sherman Oaks or Studio City for New Yorkers moving with kids? Our children will be attending an independent elementary school in Van Nuys, so that is off the table.

Which neighborhood would you recommend that has a sense of community, culture, ability to walk places, aesthetics/nature or simply interesting people.
How did you get your kids accepted in a school without having an address? What "independent school"?

S.O. and S.C. are pretty much the same except for the property values and rent being slightly higher in S.C. Sherman Oaks has a larger immigrant population (Persian Jews, Russian and now Armenian) but both draws the crowds/people from all over the valley so expect to see all kinds of people hanging out there. Studio City people tend to be extremely friendly saying "hi" as you pass them in markets and on the street, while S.O. with its higher immigrant population, and younger wannabe cool/wannabe actor/actresses you tend to find more attitude.

You cant go wrong with either.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 AM

8 posts, read 31,518 times
In the same sort of situation as OP.
Da Beez - Independent schools are privates, they don't need an address initially to to offer a place. We're only moving in June and are looking at the same areas - to buy though...Interesting tips so far on the areas. Seems SC properties might be a little 'older' in feel..?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 12,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is Van Nuys the only place you are commuting to? Just to the school? Where are the jobs?

Thanks everyone! Very helpful already.

My husband works from a home office when not in production, and I don't know where the next show will be located. I will probably be setting up a music program for young 'uns near where we live. The grandparents will be using the 405 to get to us, but I realize that most film related stuff is toward Hollywood.

One few more questions: Is it much hotter in SC than SO? And what is Encino like? I take it a pool would be very desirable? And what about amenities for children? (If we didn't have kids, we'd probably end up in Topanga with a horse, or Silver Lake where we have a few friends, sighhh...)

I really appreciate the info!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,607,517 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! Very helpful already.

My husband works from a home office when not in production, and I don't know where the next show will be located. I will probably be setting up a music program for young 'uns near where we live. The grandparents will be using the 405 to get to us, but I realize that most film related stuff is toward Hollywood.

One few more questions: Is it much hotter in SC than SO? And what is Encino like? I take it a pool would be very desirable? And what about amenities for children? (If we didn't have kids, we'd probably end up in Topanga with a horse, or Silver Lake where we have a few friends, sighhh...)

That part of the San Fernando valley [southeastern] is probably the coolest compared to the west valley\ Woodland Hills. But summer temps are mainly in the low 90's so AC is necessary & a swimming pool is ideal. The Griffith Pk zoo & children's area are close by [including horse riding] & also Universal City\studio.

Encino is very nice & has one of the last stands of valley oak trees [more homes\ less businesses than Sherman Oaks.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times
Quote:
And what about amenities for children? (If we didn't have kids, we'd probably end up in Topanga with a horse, or Silver Lake where we have a few friends, sighhh...)

Encino Little League is GREAT. I coached there for a few years when the 13 year old played there. One of the best little league facilities in the US. We made some lifelong friends there as well. But, you have to live in the area to attend.

There are also lots of summer day camps for kids and the always popular Laser Tag place at LaReina shopping complex in Sherman Oaks.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:58 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,823 times
Hello. I grew up in LA but lived for a few years in NYC. I know the valley very well.

It is MY STRONG OPINION that SHERMAN OAKS is your best bet (based on the criterion you listed). STUDIO CITY is not a bad 2nd choice; however, studio city is more for singles and tougher to get to your kids school in Van Nuys (though not by too much).

Forget ENCINCO. Incredibly uninteresting, bland, no character, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 AM

448 posts, read 1,605,659 times
Having lived in both Studio City and Sherman Oaks, Studio City is definitely the more "get to know your neighbor" kind of town. This may be in part due to it being roughly half the size of Sherman Oaks. When I lived in SC, all my neighbors wanted to get to know me and said hi to me all the time. In Sherman Oaks, you get a little bit of a different personality. There are your general folk who say hi, but not nearly as much as in SC.

However, in relation to Van Nuys, Sherman Oaks literally touches Van Nuys, so in terms of distance, you'd be right there. Sherman Oaks also tends to have a larger selection of boutiques, stores, malls and entertainment since it encompasses a larger radius. In terms of weather, SC and SO touch each other, so the weather difference is not significant, if any. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles