Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 PM

6 posts, read 15,533 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! Some advice please! I have recently graduated Florida State University (in Tallahassee, FL) , 23 years old, and am looking for a change while I'm still young. I have considered moving to N. ATL because I heard a lot of single, young adults live in that area, although a little pricey for me, but I like the "city atmosphere". I am not making as much money to sustain the highest lifestyle as I'd like, but am considering California as an option. Any advice on what city/location would fit me best? I love the warm weather in FL so I don't want to stray from that. I am looking for a young, but not expensive change to experience while I'm at the age. I would visit before I moved, but want to get advice on the areas before I spend time/money roaming California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:49 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
If you think Atlanta is expensive, you really don't want to be here.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
Atlanta is much cheaper than LA, so based on what you've said LA is not for you at this time.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:03 PM

242 posts, read 433,119 times
You could try Dallas, Phoenix maybe? If you think Atlanta is expensive, you have (respectfully) no clue how much more expensive California is.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:08 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Yeah pretty much what everyone else said. It's pretty expensive here. I paid $700 for a very nice apartment when I lived in Florida. Here I pay over $1,200 for something half as nice, twice as old and half the size.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:01 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
As someone who has lived back and forth between FL and L.A., rent is much more expensive out here. Utilities seem to be a little less, though - especially electric. I would say to move out here with a roomate, or maybe try a bigger city in FL until you can save some money/get career experience. What about Miami or Orlando? I am all for trying new things while you are young, though. We lived in Miami for four years and took off for L.A. when I was 28 - I wanted to do it before life got in the way, lol! You still have time...

Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
same ole story!!!

Advise, do not even think about Ca right now...In fact why would you think of anyplace until you get a job??

Nita

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1234 View Post
Hey guys! Some advice please! I have recently graduated Florida State University (in Tallahassee, FL) , 23 years old, and am looking for a change while I'm still young. I have considered moving to N. ATL because I heard a lot of single, young adults live in that area, although a little pricey for me, but I like the "city atmosphere". I am not making as much money to sustain the highest lifestyle as I'd like, but am considering California as an option. Any advice on what city/location would fit me best? I love the warm weather in FL so I don't want to stray from that. I am looking for a young, but not expensive change to experience while I'm at the age. I would visit before I moved, but want to get advice on the areas before I spend time/money roaming California.
There`s no place like California!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 PM

12 posts, read 37,205 times
Is living in LA really worth it if it is so pricey? Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone. I'm just wondering. And if not LA, are any of the towns about 45minutes to an hour away cheaper than LA? Sorry this is a little OT.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 PM

17 posts, read 57,702 times
I love pasadena. im a big fan. and the weather here is tough to beat.

horribly expensive though.

u need a roommate. check craigslist, good rentals on there. or westside rentals, free guest search. u can see what is what like that.

LA is fun, so try it out (I am a native).

if u can afford it, the beach (or close, definitely need roommates then). look at santa monica, venice (a bit rough in rental areas), hermosa beach, culver city, etc.

or pasadena, more quiet, homely, and still can drive to everything in LA (count on some traffic to and from though).

the westside of LA has all the young energy, so consider that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles