Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Bride View Post
Just FYI though, having grown up in South Jersey, (which, granted, is not Kansas), I can say it's still significantly cheaper than Southern California. True, wages might not track, but I still believe the overall COL is considerably different.
LOL, it's funny you should say that b/c that's EXACTLY how my aunt and uncle finally managed it...their family is in North Jersey but they moved to South Jersey!

Yes, it is significantly cheaper. Not that they're sad about that, they LOVE South NJ. So anyway...howdy neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 PM

15 posts, read 56,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL, it's funny you should say that b/c that's EXACTLY how my aunt and uncle finally managed it...their family is in North Jersey but they moved to South Jersey!

Yes, it is significantly cheaper. Not that they're sad about that, they LOVE South NJ. So anyway...howdy neighbor.
Howdy. I have always been a huge fan of South Jersey (an unbiased one, of course). And I have absolutely know that I will be homesick on moving to LA, at least for a little while. But I don't plan to buy initially and will see whether the homesickness abates.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:33 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,953 times
Default Try the mid-city area

Lots of old, large apartments and it's readily accessible to everything (LAX, Hollywood, beach). The area I'm thinking about is around Wilshire (going east/west), between La Cienega and Western.

Have lived in LA for nearly all of my 40 years. Had our home burglarized one time but never been physically assaulted. Yes, there is crime but it's not everywhere; you just need to be smart about where you are going.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 AM

13 posts, read 45,304 times
Quote:
Once you leave an area for another, if you do decide you want to move back, returning can be extremely hard. People who return to the east from the west tend to take a serious financial hit in doing so and then have to completely revamp their lives from the ground up. So, although this could be a great decision for you in the long run, I just thought I'd put that out there from the POV of one who has made the coast-to-coast move.
Just out of curiousity, why would that be the case?
Jerz just wanted to say that I appreciate you sharing your experience. Fortunately, I don't have a home or children, so maybe that has something to do with it. We also don't have too many belongings. I imagine that must be rough to relocate a family and I might be experiencing the same things if I had one. Good luck to you and hope everything works out for you.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:19 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskylover View Post
Jerz just wanted to say that I appreciate you sharing your experience. Fortunately, I don't have a home or children, so maybe that has something to do with it. We also don't have too many belongings.
Hi, blueskylover...in that case, if there was ever a time to try this, it's now...good luck on your new adventure!

Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 AM

31 posts, read 329,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atina33 View Post
Lots of old, large apartments and it's readily accessible to everything (LAX, Hollywood, beach). The area I'm thinking about is around Wilshire (going east/west), between La Cienega and Western.

Have lived in LA for nearly all of my 40 years. Had our home burglarized one time but never been physically assaulted. Yes, there is crime but it's not everywhere; you just need to be smart about where you are going.
Hey, someone else knows of Mid-City (not necessarily Mid-Wilshire)! I try not to sound like a broken record, but I lived there for ten years, and liked the area a lot. Convenient to Downtown, Hollywood, the Westside, etc. It's heaven if you can learn to like Korean food.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 AM

196 posts, read 1,237,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinghis View Post
Hey, someone else knows of Mid-City (not necessarily Mid-Wilshire)! I try not to sound like a broken record, but I lived there for ten years, and liked the area a lot. Convenient to Downtown, Hollywood, the Westside, etc. It's heaven if you can learn to like Korean food.

Mid-City the district in the West-Central area??? I think is the area right north of south-central (Crenshaw) and west of Pico??? If its that is a strange area, some parts or streets are good, other all very nasty, a large african-american community there, is not bad, centrally located but a little scary being as close to south-central.

Or do you mean Mid-City West in the Wilshire area south of WeHo an Bevery Hills, if is that is pretty good.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
To the OP: I just want to second Burbank/Toluca Lake. The studios and the airport are right there. I like the part of Burbank by Disney and Warner Bros i.e. Riverside Drive/134fwy. It's lovely. Regarding Glendale and NoHo: I lived in Glendale for a couple years and I loved it. It's got a walkable downtown, restaurants, theatre, a mall...and things stay open late thanks to the large Armenian population...and also lots of good coffee places too for the same reason. NoHo arts district grabs me but only for a few blocks and then it gets nasty.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:19 PM

31 posts, read 329,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Mid-City the district in the West-Central area??? I think is the area right north of south-central (Crenshaw) and west of Pico??? If its that is a strange area, some parts or streets are good, other all very nasty, a large african-american community there, is not bad, centrally located but a little scary being as close to south-central.

Or do you mean Mid-City West in the Wilshire area south of WeHo an Bevery Hills, if is that is pretty good.
I think Mid-City West is technically Mid-Wilshire - the area between LaBrea and Fairfax on Wilshire, a few blocks north and south, etc. Right next to Beverly Hills, yes.

When I think of Mid-City, I think of the area east of Wilton, over to about Vermont, still centered around Wilshire. It's actually one of the neighborhood council districts, I believe. The area you're thinking of sounds south of that, centered around San Vicente. Yeah, parts of that can be dicey.

I wouldn't think of that as close to South Central, though. And Pico runs East-West, so you can't really be "west" of Pico.... But I know where you mean, I think.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinghis View Post
I think Mid-City West is technically Mid-Wilshire - the area between LaBrea and Fairfax on Wilshire, a few blocks north and south, etc. Right next to Beverly Hills, yes.
This stretch of Wilshire and immediate vicinity is actually called the "Miracle Mile."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles