Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times

Advertisements

I don't think that everyone hates LA. Some hate it and others love it. Those that hate LA do so for a variety of reasons. In my experience, those that hate LA don't like the traffic, smog, high cost of housing and the violence that exists in the poorer neighborhoods. Some also say that people in LA are stuck up and superficial.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
If you connect with a two meter honey, who you just cant keep hold of then you will end up hating her. This is your problem not hers!!
I learnt a long time ago that beautiful women take time and are worth it.
LA is the same!!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Lots of hate from up here in the Bay Area. Funny how the folks up here are so obsessed with all things L.A., yet especially those in SF don't seem to notice that their own fair town and the residents therein are becoming exactly that which they profess to deeply loathe. Maybe that's it: Overbearing anxiety over the exasperating prospect of transforming into the enemy. Satan becomes you. Kind of fun to hear, really. Oh, and F the Giants - I still bleed Dodger Blue.

I rather enjoy living up here, but many years in L.A. and Santa Barbara were quite enjoyable as well. Can't hate on the Southland too much...bring a beer for the traffic jam if it's that big a stressor. I used to listen to traffic reports and just get the hell off the freeway (esp. 405 or 101 downtown) if it was going to be that bad. Still miss the beach.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

97 posts, read 238,589 times
Hold up hold up hold up!!! Time out, flag on the play! Not everyone hates L.A. L.A is one of the classiest cities known world-wide. Not everyone hate the place because the reason why people say they hate is is because of them and their problems. SOme people can stand the L.A people and culture, but for you other people, you need some help because L.A's not the one with the problem, but it's you my friend.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
As others have pointed out, not everyone hates Los Angeles.

However, Los Angeles is a lightning rod for opinion, good and bad. Why? For a slew of reasons, but the fact is that Los Angeles is large and influential. Over 1% of the population of the country lives in the city alone. As such, news, including bad news, is more likely to emanate from Los Angeles than, say Bayfield, Wisconsin. Then there's the large cultural impact from Los Angeles being the main center of film and television production in the United States. And people who get upset over what the networks and studios are producing often extend that into a dislike of Los Angeles. And it's not just Los Angeles. Look at New York, another very influential American city. Lots of love/hate for it, too. A similar situation occurs with states. A lot more people love and hate California and Texas than, say, Wyoming and Vermont.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Big targets. Or, in the case of Texas, big fat targets.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
why hate LA? many reasons -

- ridiculous traffic with virtually no usable public transporation making it a monumental effort to travel even a short distance

- ridiculously high cost of living - homes are still off the charts compared to other major cities like Chicago

- very sick economy and general lack of jobs with high unemployment, companies moving jobs out of state due to very restrictive business climate

- very high state and county taxation, high property taxes.. completely broke state government trying their best to squeeze even more out of the citizens

- infrastructure generally in a state of disrepair (roads etc.)

- seriously broken education system (LAUSD), if you want to send your kids to a decent school you need to live in a seriously expensive neighborhood and make the big bucks otherwise forget it

- materialistic culture (much more so than any other place I've been to) that emphasizes material possessions and show-off/keep up with joneses rather than being humble and saving for a rainy day

I can think of more but these should do for now, some of these problems exist in other major metros as well but nowhere near as serious as it is in LA

Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

- materialistic culture (much more so than any other place I've been to) that emphasizes material possessions and show-off/keep up with joneses rather than being humble and saving for a rainy day
That's easily remedied by not living in the parts of town that embrace materialism. Try life in Park Mesa Heights or Morningside Park or Lucerne-Higuera or Vermont Harbor or Florence-Graham.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:39 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Quote:
why hate LA? many reasons -

- ridiculous traffic with virtually no usable public transporation making it a monumental effort to travel even a short distance

- ridiculously high cost of living - homes are still off the charts compared to other major cities like Chicago

- very sick economy and general lack of jobs with high unemployment, companies moving jobs out of state due to very restrictive business climate

- very high state and county taxation, high property taxes.. completely broke state government trying their best to squeeze even more out of the citizens

- infrastructure generally in a state of disrepair (roads etc.)

- seriously broken education system (LAUSD), if you want to send your kids to a decent school you need to live in a seriously expensive neighborhood and make the big bucks otherwise forget it

I can think of more but these should do for now, some of these problems exist in other major metros as well but nowhere near as serious as it is in LA
And home invasions are extremely high in the county and burglars are smart on how to break in.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:

One place: Blisteringly cold

Other place: Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles