Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
would argue ppl hate L.A because its such a force in the U.S ...yet isolated from the rest of the country (east and south)

The same can be said for the whole of California..

They are jealous everything is not all old and decayed like "back east" ...and they hate the faact California has no real "winter" so they made up that whole "i loveee 4 seasons " thing to cover their behinds

I also think they hate L.A/California because of the passive agressiveness that goes on....we dont CARE they are "from new jersey" or "new york"...they care about us more than we do them
I think you are on to something about the hate for California & Los Angeles. Check out the "City vs City" & national forum but hold your stomach because the exaggerations\ fabrications about LA are truly sickening

Old 04-28-2009, 05:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I think you are on to something about the hate for California & Los Angeles. Check out the "City vs City" & national forum but hold your stomach because the exaggerations\ fabrications about LA are truly sickening
L.A. is the weirdest city on the planet and as a result it tends to evoke very strong reactions. Even the love that some have for L.A. (and I consider myself to be one of those who does love it, which is why I'm coming back) has a strong masochistic tinge. (True love does involve pointing out the faults of the beloved.) It's definitely NOT for everyone, and a very easy target.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 445,276 times
I also have a love/hate relationship with LA, but overall I love living here. A lot depends on your financial situation. I would not suggest living here if you can't afford to have the quality of life that you want.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times
The movies often show LA in a negative light. I could list some, but that list would be too extensive.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
The movies often show LA in a negative light.
Or an overly positive light. Media portrayals of LA usually fall into one of two extremes: 1.) A chaotic conglomeration of everything that is wrong with the world on the verge an apocalyptic collapse; or 2.) A ritzy paradise of palm trees where everyone is beautiful and dreams come true every day.

The media never really portrays LA as a real city; it's always some exaggerated fantasy and I think that resonates with a lot of people.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I've only been there once and I was 14 or so, but it seems that LA gets a real bum rap. I mean i've met people who have loved it, but they always move out saying they cant afford to live there. I have had people literally refer to it as a hell on Earth. What is it about LA that causes this reputation? Just so everyone knows im not trying to diss LA or say its bad.
I've made more than a few jabs at LA, but I can give a few explanations for my dislike of the city:

1) I hate a lot of the faux-liberalism and hypocracy in Los Angeles. Not that I have a problem with liberalism (virtually all of my opinions on social issues would be classified as liberal), but it is the kind of place where you see Greenpeace bumber stickers on Humvees, where you will hear a cokehead insult smokers, and so on.

2) It's an ugly city. What can you say about a city where googie-style buildings are its most endearing manmade features? Most East Coast and many Midwestern cities have a gritty edge, but it is grit with character. So many of the buildings in Los Angeles are so ugly that my eyes would literally hurt after looking at them for too long. For some reason I was reminded of Third World shanty towns (outside of Skid Row).

3) It's sprawling and poorly planned. The sprawl is itself is almost bearable, but it the horrible roads that really does it. It's like if someone threw down a bunch of pasta and matchsticks on a map of southern California and said, "This is what I want the roads to look like".

Not that LA has no redeeming features. It has its charms and even are weird vibe that sorta grows on you, but the physical ugliness, horrible traffic, and many of the people really puts me off on LA.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM

125 posts, read 385,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
would argue ppl hate L.A because its such a force in the U.S ...yet isolated from the rest of the country (east and south)

The same can be said for the whole of California..

They are jealous everything is not all old and decayed like "back east" ...and they hate the faact California has no real "winter" so they made up that whole "i loveee 4 seasons " thing to cover their behinds

I also think they hate L.A/California because of the passive agressiveness that goes on....we dont CARE they are "from new jersey" or "new york"...they care about us more than we do them

Or maybe people in LA are too big of wussies to handle a real winter?

Sorry, i'm not from the east coast. (midwest) but I LOVE having 4 seasons. Snow is great and if I get tired of it all I have to do is go on vacation for a week to a warmer place. It's nice to have options.

Although I love the sun I think I would get bored with the same weather 99% of the time.

Just being honest.

I'll give you an example. I was waiting to get seated at a Chili's back home one January. It was fairly cold and snowy. While waiting in the lobby a group of people from California came in shivering. One of the ladies looked at me and said "I don't know how you people can stand this!". We all just kind of chuckled.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM

34 posts, read 71,488 times
After 9 years living in West LA, i'm a hater.

Yes, there are some great things in LA. There are many, many more bad things. I've come to the conclusion that in order to be happy here, i'd have to live in denial. I think it is how people survive here.

It's sort of like going to a concert. Lots of people can go to a concert and then tell everyone how awesome it was. What you don't usually hear about is how you had to drive 1.5-2 hours to get there even though it was only 20 miles away. They don't tell you that they had to go through a sketchy part of town to get to it, nor how it cost you $25 to park your car. There's no mentioning the $8 beers or how you had to pee in a trough next to 4 other guys. They fail to mention the smelly people next to you that had to sing along with every song. When you leave the concert en masse there's the random dork going "Moo! Moo!". Then you get in your car and spend half an hour fighting your way to an exit just to begin the long ride home. At some point you realize that you paid a heck of a lot of money just to get in, and another 20% on top of that for being sold the priviledge to get in.

I'm sorry, but i don't care how great the music was. It's just not worth it. If you can push all the crap out of your mind and only focus on the performance, good for you. I can't do it.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
I don't hate it.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moekazi View Post
After 9 years living in West LA, i'm a hater.

Yes, there are some great things in LA. There are many, many more bad things. I've come to the conclusion that in order to be happy here, i'd have to live in denial. I think it is how people survive here.

It's sort of like going to a concert. Lots of people can go to a concert and then tell everyone how awesome it was. What you don't usually hear about is how you had to drive 1.5-2 hours to get there even though it was only 20 miles away. They don't tell you that they had to go through a sketchy part of town to get to it, nor how it cost you $25 to park your car. There's no mentioning the $8 beers or how you had to pee in a trough next to 4 other guys. They fail to mention the smelly people next to you that had to sing along with every song. When you leave the concert en masse there's the random dork going "Moo! Moo!". Then you get in your car and spend half an hour fighting your way to an exit just to begin the long ride home. At some point you realize that you paid a heck of a lot of money just to get in, and another 20% on top of that for being sold the priviledge to get in.

I'm sorry, but i don't care how great the music was. It's just not worth it. If you can push all the crap out of your mind and only focus on the performance, good for you. I can't do it.

That is so funny! Next time do why others do but parking some place near a light rail line & take the train to the concert. Even if it is Hollywood Bowl, the walk from the Red Line isn't that far or get on a bus. At least you eliminate the parking fees.

Unfortunately West LA is far from light rail

I live near Pasadena & can easily avoid traffic\ parking by taking the Gold Line. The drinks are going to be expensive in any city near music venues. And "smelly people . . . doing 'Moo Moo" can be had wherever we go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles