Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 02:26 PM

240 posts, read 1,265,228 times

Advertisements

just wondering. when i went to California (Orange County and LA) i didn't see a lot of filipinos and indians. i went to koreatown and there weren't that many koreans in the streets, all i saw were mexicans. so where do they live? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:35 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,456 times
First of all, as you probably know, LA County is MUCH more diverse than Orange County.

There are more Koreans in Los Angeles than in any city outside of Seoul. Many Koreans and Korean-Americans live in K-town but even more are spread out over the metro area. Orange County is NOT as diverse as LA County.

Yes, many latinos live in K-Town, and it's been that way for 20 years. The "business" owners in K-Town have historically been Korean. However, in the past 10 years, more Korean & Korean-Americans have moved to K-Town, as city's urban core has started to revitalize.

If you had spent time in a bar or club or restaurant in K-Town you would have probably seen plenty of Koreans.

There is an area in the City of LA (close to K-Town) called Historic Fillipino Town; however, most Fillipinos are spread out all over the metro area. The small city in So. LA County called "Artesia" has a fair number of Indians (including lots of Indian businesses). Again, I think most Indians are spread out over the metro area.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:36 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
there is a filipino town in LA between los feliz and hollywood, but i'm not sure how many filipinos actually live there. i've seen filipinos all over socal, i think they are scattered everywhere. this the same for indians, but there is also a large indian community in the artesia area. also, there are plenty of koreans in k-town, you must have been in the wrong area. there are also large korean communities in fullerton and the hacienda heights area.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
(I realize it isn't Los Angeles but) lots of Filipinos in the Oxnard and Port Hueneme area...they have big Navy ties.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:55 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWJERSEY1 View Post
just wondering. when i went to California (Orange County and LA) i didn't see a lot of filipinos and indians. i went to koreatown and there weren't that many koreans in the streets, all i saw were mexicans. so where do they live? thanks
They're probably working in hospitals or nursing homes, that's why you can't see them on the streets.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
There are a lot in East SGV as well, toward W Covina, La Puente and those areas.

Nita

Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
(I realize it isn't Los Angeles but) lots of Filipinos in the Oxnard and Port Hueneme area...they have big Navy ties.
Pleasant Valley Estates in Oxnard is where many Filipinos call home and yes many of them work with me at the hospital.

Funny thing you will see many filipinos and Mexicans working at the hospital. The Filipinos are the nurses and the Mexicans work in Housekeeping, laundry, and the cafeteria. Imagine that. (Then again many Mexicans are also nurses. My wife is an example of that.)

Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post

Funny thing you will see many filipinos and Mexicans working at the hospital. The Filipinos are the nurses
I noticed something very similar at Point Mugu. I worked in F-14 Flight Test. We worked closely with a division called Range Operations. Just about every Range Ops guy was Filipino.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 PM

77 posts, read 303,597 times
Also don't forget other Filipino areas such as Eagle Rock and Carson.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM

188 posts, read 920,284 times
Cerritos (on LA/OC border) has a decent population of all 3 groups actually.
EDIT: As of 2000 on city data, the town was 17.4% Korean, 11.7% Filipino and 5.6% Asian Indian, surely all those numbers are higher today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles