Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:02 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was just a little surprised to see someone mention Glendale particularly.
I know Glendale is well known for having a large Armenian community, but in the last 10 years, there has been an influx of Asians (primarily Koreans) and other groups. Let's put it this way, there are enough Koreans for us to have our own "huge" Korean supermarket. I've also noticed a lot of Korean/Asian businesses in the La Crescenta/La Canada area too. I see more blacks also since they shop in the same places we do (which would be all the grocery stores). There are still a lot of Latinos though maybe less than before -- or maybe it seems like less just because there is more of everything else.

Also, remember Eagle Rock Plaza? The mall near the 2 Freeway on Colorado with the Montgomery Wards and the May Company? Well, it's now a Filipino-oriented mall with a Macy's and a Target and a huge Filipino grocery store and Filipino bakeries, etc.

Anyway, for anyone looking for "safe and diversity" Glendale has it!

P.S. We struck up a conversation with a group of young black men in a grocery store. They were speaking in a foreign language we didn't recognize. It turned out that they were from Kenya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:09 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
I don't think you have been clear if you want to live near other blacks or you want to move to a place that won't reject you because you are black. Honestly, I cannot think of any community in southern California that cares one way of the other what race you are. Yes, there are isolated racists, but in general, I think the people here are quite accepting.

If I were in your situation, I would just concentrate on the other things you desire in a community and not worry about the racial makeup.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:17 PM

7 posts, read 20,465 times
In response to the last comment.
If you go back you can read my comments-on multi cultural, diverse community, 'Flexibility on move' and I have listed what I desire in a
community. My concern is I do not like an all white or all black community. Schools are also important. Some reply comments are moving away from my original questions.

Last edited by plumtree2003; 07-11-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 07:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumtree2003 View Post
In response to the last comment.
If you go back you can read my comments-on multi cultural, diverse community, 'Flexibility on move' and I have listed what I desire in a
community. My concern is I do not like an all white or all black community. Schools are also important. Some reply comments are moving away from my original questions.
I am not sure anyone means to move away but you want a racially mixed neighborhood with good schools, believe it or not, that may not be as easy to find as you think. For good or bad, many of the good school districts in the Los Angeles area are primarily white and or asian. If you want to stay close to L>A> you will have to think in terms of Pasadena, maybe Alhambra or Burbank. They will be the closest to what you are seeking. Hopefully others will be able to recommend another choice that will be both racially mixed and offering really good schools.

Nita

Old 07-11-2009, 11:51 PM

64 posts, read 133,977 times
People are commenting that she could not afford 2 grand a month for rent. I'm sorry, but if she lived in London on the same income, where rents are double the LA area, I'm sure she could make it work in LA. People in this forum are so pessimistic that it's sickening.

Old 07-12-2009, 06:57 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

P.S. We struck up a conversation with a group of young black men in a grocery store. They were speaking in a foreign language we didn't recognize. It turned out that they were from Kenya.

Must have been a short conversation.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM

18 posts, read 39,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually most of those areas have good and bad schools. You may be able to put your child in public school regardless of the place you choose.

Nita
Perhaps you don't have children attending schools in the above mention areas.
Most people in the Pasadena area including minorities put their children in Private schools.
That's why Pasadena has at least 100 private schools.
If she's looking for a nice neighborhood the rent will be on the higher end (1800+).

If you are looking for a sophisticated area try Brentwood and Santa Monica above Montana Blvd.
You’ll be close to the ocean and the weather will be great.
As a single person the above areas will work.
If you want more of a suburb family type community then the Pasadena area is great.
We live in the Pasadena Area and our youngest child is off to College this fall, so we’re packing out and moving Back East to NY.
Good Luck on your search.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:51 PM

Thanks,I can afford rent for 2k. I am trying to stay on a tight budget . I am very very comfortable and can afford rent btw $2-$3k as I have a very successful business.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangee T View Post
What about Woodland Hills,CA everyone has been telling me that is a good place to live and raise children?
It is. But OP stated this:

Quote:
Also being single I'd like to mingle, any nice spots(such as pubs, etc) to hang out other than the tourist attractions
Woodland Hills is very suburban. While it does have a large business district and shopping center, it has no real night life to speak of. Burbank, Long Beach, Glendale, and Pasadena all have downtown areas that have a very vibrant nightlife. The closest real nightlife to Woodland Hills is the Studio City area, and its not the same thing.

Another factor is if you are looking to buy a home. While apartment rentals in Woodland Hills are about the same as the other cities listed, the home prices are a couple hundred thousand cheaper. You can get a very nice home in a very nice area of Woodland Hills for $400-600K. The same home in the other cities in an equivalent neighborhood with similiar rated schools will run $650K+(and more often $700-800K).

Old 08-04-2009, 06:56 PM

JohnG72- Thanks for speaking about nightlife areas. I plan on renting a home or apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles