Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:56 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,518 times

Advertisements

On TV a few months ago, they showed how people were legally parking their RV's in Venice Beach. They said during this rough economic time, the city made it legal to park your RV for up to 12 hours on the street. I thought maybe I should pack up an RV or van and join them! It probably would be nicer than I have now. I pay 400 a month for a 350 sq ft studio here. It's on the top floor and has a flat roof, it gets real hot. What other possible RV solutions are there? You could live cheap and put yourself through college. It could be dangerous depending where you park, so I was thinking of converting an old decommissioned Brinks armored van into a micro-apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Sounds like a hassle.
Auto insurance.
Poor gas mileage.
Parking challenges.
Expensive maintenance.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-29-2009 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: Please post only photos that you have taken yourself, thanks.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:45 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
Hahaha! Charles Barry White!

I would say if you don't need much to actually live in a van, go to rest stops or find places to shower. If you have a hot date one night your out of luck though. Punk and metal chicks might admire your van, but the other ones are going to never call you again

Old 06-27-2009, 06:54 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times
YOu should probably ask that in the RV section. Those people know all about it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/camping-rving/

Old 06-27-2009, 05:08 PM

723 posts, read 1,634,476 times
It should be easy for you to afford that Brinks truck and all of that customizing once you stop spending all that rent money. What did you say that was? $400?

Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
400 a month...? I pay 3 times that.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
On TV a few months ago, they showed how people were legally parking their RV's in Venice Beach. They said during this rough economic time, the city made it legal to park your RV for up to 12 hours on the street. I thought maybe I should pack up an RV or van and join them! It probably would be nicer than I have now. I pay 400 a month for a 350 sq ft studio here. It's on the top floor and has a flat roof, it gets real hot. What other possible RV solutions are there? You could live cheap and put yourself through college. It could be dangerous depending where you park, so I was thinking of converting an old decommissioned Brinks armored van into a micro-apartment.

That might get pretty hot and stuffy. Especially in the summer and its not very big.

This is an example of why the County & Cities needs to discuss & resolve this issue. If it becomes socially acceptable and the police don't enforce existing laws, more and more rvs will appear thinking they can just park in some residential or commerical neighborhood and live.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Matt, You pay $400 for a place now and you want to see if it would be cheaper to live in an RV? Do you own an RV now? Do you own a van now? To buy one would cost you more than $400 a month not counting the cost to maintain it and feed it. How would that be better for you?

Old 06-29-2009, 01:10 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Matt, You pay $400 for a place now and you want to see if it would be cheaper to live in an RV? Do you own an RV now? Do you own a van now? To buy one would cost you more than $400 a month not counting the cost to maintain it and feed it. How would that be better for you?
The OP lives in Florida where, perhaps, a $400/month studio isn't unheard-of. I'm not sure, though, that it's worth trading that just so you can live near the beach in California.

And, yeah, it's not going to be cost-free to get set up for a beachside life -- unless you already have a fully-paid-for van, etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:35 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
That might get pretty hot and stuffy. Especially in the summer and its not very big.

This is an example of why the County & Cities needs to discuss & resolve this issue. If it becomes socially acceptable and the police don't enforce existing laws, more and more rvs will appear thinking they can just park in some residential or commerical neighborhood and live.
I don't think every city should just outlaw it. The sad fact is the cost of housing has grown beyond the abilities of many people to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: