Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

since nobody else appears to have mentioned this, you're not really going to find a chicago or nyc lifestyle in LA, they are just very different. the few places with similar densities are either almost entirely populated by working class immigrants or are too far from your office. for your own sanity, i highly recommend that you live west of your office. bus commuting may be an option, but probably unlikely. however, you can keep a short driving commute to work then come home to a walkable neighborhood. As mentioned, venice is an option, but you may also consider the ocean park area of santa monica or anywhere along wilshire or montana. santa monica is not very diverse as far as color of skin, but considering how expensive it is to live there, the economic diversity is quite great. anyways, i would say that anywhere within a few blocks of the coast will be a good option for you including parts of marina del rey. you may also like parts of culver city and maybe even brentwood. there are plenty of good options east of your office, but that commute would be so terrible that I won't even bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 10:49 PM

7 posts, read 9,717 times
Thanks, very helpful comments.

It seems like West LA neighborhood is out of my price range. I can't really go more than $1300 a month, and that's pushing it a bit.

Koreatown looks cool, as does East Hollywood. Am I looking at like 45 mins - hr commute by car?

Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 PM

check out the palms neighborhood, you'll be able to find an apartment for that price if you look hard enough.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Given my office location, do you think East Hollywood or Koreatown would be a bad idea?

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM

unless you don't mind a minimum 30 minute commute (probably closer to 45 minutes each way), i think it's a bad idea.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:10 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,561 times
Pictures and commentary of the places in mention:

prettyugly.: Hollywood
prettyugly.: koreatown
prettyugly.: Venice

I don't really shoot much of SM..most of the time I'm there, I'm headed to Venice.

prettyugly.: santa monica (http://devanwells.blogspot.com/2008/11/santa-monica.html - broken link)

Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Hollywood and East Hollywood are great, but I did that commute once for a brief temp job, and it took forever. I went by bus (and I took a book, so it wasn't too bad for the short-term) but I think driving would be bad, too. I think you'd be better off for sanity's sake finding an interesting neighborhood closer to work.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 PM

30-45 minute commute is fine for me. I did about 50 minutes both ways on the train for a long time in Chicago. I realize driving is a lot more annoying, but I would be able to deal with it fine. Besides my job, a huge priority in my life is living somewhere urban, lively, with cool old buildings, and lots of busy life going on around me. I really don't like spaciousness. I used to live right next to the El tracks in Chicago. Other people HATED it. I thought it was the most awesome thing in the world.

Oh, @kingofthehill -> I love your blog! thanks for the links

Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Many of the areas over in that side of town are still pretty dense, and you can find urban and lively (with old buildings) even on the west side. You may find the commute worth it in the end (although I'd say 30 minutes would be on a really good day) but I'd suggest holding off making up your mind before you visit, just in case you do find something to your liking closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles