Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3784 View Post
I dont know where you guys are getting your information, but I am a male. With that said, its just as scary. In the confrontations that I have seen, it isnt as easy as ignoring the problem and walking away. Because most of these nuts will follow you until you respond. I was not there when my mom was being hit on at Hollywood Blvd. And to be completely honest, that is no shock to me considering how sleezey that street is. But the problem is, I can avoid going down Hollywood Blvd. There really is nothing there that I need, except for if I need to go to The Kodak for something. But living off Sunet, and seeing what is down in the strip area, its something that I cant avoid. And the reality check was, I saw no issues with Sunset until I was woken up by a group of drunk (or crazy ) people yelling at each other at 4 in the morning. And the reason I might say crazy over drunk is because its continued for a good hour. And sure, I wouldnt be coming home that late. But the point still stands that Sunset may be just as bad at night. I think of all Santa Monica Blvd gets the worst rep, yet is the only street that Im often times on, and see no issues (Melrose and Beverly were nice, but I havent seen it enough to make an estimate). I was even shocked to see issues on La Brea yesterday, after befoe seeing nothing questionable.

It all has nothing to do with having a car or not. As another poster said, they are still going to cause trouble regardless. Not to mention that if I did have a car, should I feel safe parking on the streets? I know that an over exaggration, but I just cant see the parral here .. Call me stupid if you want, but how can you have all these hot spot clubs (some which are very exclusive), yet have them in unsafe areas. From my career perspective, I have no choice but to go to the clubs to network. But I cant see why anyone that isnt industry would go to these clubs, only to pay 20 bucks for cover, plus 15 dollar drinks (not keeping in mind potential bottle serice), only to have to fear their safety going in and out. To me its not that people that live there (some of these side streets are really nice), but instead city hall not doing their job. Hell .. I dont think you can even get drunk enough to forget about it all. Afterall, I did go to what was supposed to be a hip promoted event at The Roosevelt, which ended up being a lame event with terrible pricey drinks.

The people who go to those clubs are your customers, the ones who keep musician's in business. Why they go there shouldn't be a concern. Just be thankful they're there or you wouldn't have a career.

As to how you may avoid them? Forgedda about it. Learn to deal with them or chose another path to fame and fortune. You can't very well expect to be a successful musician and not have to deal with the clientel, can you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The people who go to those clubs are your customers, the ones who keep musician's in business. Why they go there shouldn't be a concern. Just be thankful they're there or you wouldn't have a career.

As to how you may avoid them? Forgedda about it. Learn to deal with them or chose another path to fame and fortune. You can't very well expect to be a successful musician and not have to deal with the clientel, can you?
I may be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time ), but I don't think the OP is a musician. I believe he's focusing on the production and/or promotion aspect of the business.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
I dont know where you guys are getting your information, but I am a male. With that said, its just as scary. In the confrontations that I have seen, it isnt as easy as ignoring the problem and walking away. Because most of these nuts will follow you until you respond. I was not there when my mom was being hit on at Hollywood Blvd. And to be completely honest, that is no shock to me considering how sleezey that street is. But the problem is, I can avoid going down Hollywood Blvd. There really is nothing there that I need, except for if I need to go to The Kodak for something. But living off Sunet, and seeing what is down in the strip area, its something that I cant avoid. And the reality check was, I saw no issues with Sunset until I was woken up by a group of drunk (or crazy ) people yelling at each other at 4 in the morning. And the reason I might say crazy over drunk is because its continued for a good hour. And sure, I wouldnt be coming home that late. But the point still stands that Sunset may be just as bad at night. I think of all Santa Monica Blvd gets the worst rep, yet is the only street that Im often times on, and see no issues (Melrose and Beverly were nice, but I havent seen it enough to make an estimate). I was even shocked to see issues on La Brea yesterday, after befoe seeing nothing questionable.

It all has nothing to do with having a car or not. As another poster said, they are still going to cause trouble regardless. Not to mention that if I did have a car, should I feel safe parking on the streets? I know that an over exaggration, but I just cant see the parral here .. Call me stupid if you want, but how can you have all these hot spot clubs (some which are very exclusive), yet have them in unsafe areas. From my career perspective, I have no choice but to go to the clubs to network. But I cant see why anyone that isnt industry would go to these clubs, only to pay 20 bucks for cover, plus 15 dollar drinks (not keeping in mind potential bottle serice), only to have to fear their safety going in and out. To me its not that people that live there (some of these side streets are really nice), but instead city hall not doing their job. Hell .. I dont think you can even get drunk enough to forget about it all. Afterall, I did go to what was supposed to be a hip promoted event at The Roosevelt, which ended up being a lame event with terrible pricey drinks.

Sorry for the misunderstand but your posts are so dripping with estrogen it's easy to draw that conclusion.

I don't care how old your mom is, unless she looks like Mrs Roper, people are going to want a piece.

Yes, clubs are in sleazy areas. It has to do with zoning, rent, the high cost of putting on events, etc. The neighbors in more upscale areas may take exception with a thriving nightlife right on top of them. Places like the Whisky and Roxy are pretty entrenched (ie - they have been there longer than anywhere else) but I have seen many other clubs come on go, often after losing a war with the neighbors.

I go to clubs a lot for live music (but rarely pay $20 and don't drink), and I try to keep my wits about me on the way out. Most people do as well and also come and go in groups. I don't go to hang out but if there is a band I want to see I will go almost anywhere.

And some of the problems you are describing, like drunks screaming at each other (and even themselves) and homeless hanging around is all part of the Hollywood aesthetic. This is nothing new. I could have told you about that 20 years ago. I suggest you learn to cope or find another job and another place to live.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I still think Hollywood Blvd s a lot less sleazy than some of the other streets in the area, but I suppose that's not really the main point. (and much of central Hollywood has gotten pretty high-end in recent years - there's been a lot of gentrification even in the past five years)

I just assumed you were a woman. I'm sure men have different problems than women, so maybe it's some sort of drunken/drugged/crazy show of manly aggression or something. No suggestions there, but if you want to sleep at night try ear plugs, at least while you're adjusting. My husband had to do that. (he also used to yell "shut the *$#@ up!" to loud drunks in the middle of the night - probably didn't help the situation, but sometimes you are driven to do things at 3 am that you wouldn't do normally) I loved my street, felt safe walking on it, but there were definitely a lot of loud people at night and lots of crazy stuff going on. I mostly ignored it, and called the cops a couple of times when things looked like they were getting out of control. Then again, we mostly were in the apartment late at night - no interest in spending a ton of money to go to the clubs, so I didn't have to dodge people with attitutudes at 2:30 am.

Some of the Hollywood neighborhood activists have in the past (and I assume still) complained about the level of alcohol and clubs in Hollywood, by the way. I think the city has embraced some of it because Hollywood was really a problem area for a time there and has dramatically cleaned up, but of course being a center of activity and a destination spot brings with it all sorts problems of its own.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Take it from me that LA is full of strange people whichever side of the red rope you are.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,139 times
Dude, get a car. I don't see how you can be any type of professional in this city without one. Nobody is going to bother you when you're speeding past them in your car.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:54 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
oh man. ITS HOLLYWOOD. thats what it is.

people have this idea that it is ALL glamour. first mistake. hollywood was a dump until they started building and invetsing recently(10 years). the hollywood of the 80's and 90's was horrible. if you dont like it now, you would have high tailed it with your hot mom in seconds back then.

all you really have to do is keep to yourself. respect people. if they ask you for change, dont ignore them. the best response would be "aw, not today. you caught me on a bad day brotha/sista. i take this bus alot(or 'i work this corner every day') maybe next time."

if it is looney tunes folks. then find a seat next to old people. or mothers with children. they are usually immune from the looneys (not always tho). if you see a group of people trying to get into it with eachother. cross the street. walk away. its not that hard.

take it from someone who rides the bus and the train in far worse and dangerous areas of LA, at all hours. you will be fine. the buses up in hollywood are more frequent and reliable than the ones down here in South C. not to mention safer.

i think its just a matter of getting used to it. learn how to navigate the city. being from another big city doesnt mean you know the ins and outs of URBAN living in LA. this is the life you chose. if a couple bums or drunkards fighting scare you, then you might want to reconsider the whole music/DJ/club/promoter/stripper/singer entertainment field. it will leave you bow-legged.

Quote:

Old 07-13-2009, 09:19 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,929 times
I would opt for the Boulevard simply because there is a lot of activity, even into the wee hours. I'm an ugly, old 50-year old man so no one messes with me, walking to the Metro, catching a movie, slipping into a bar. But that's ME. It's a pretty tame/safe scene in front of the Kodak, that's for sure. Usually lots of tourists, hungry for some tolerable weirdness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
oh man. ITS HOLLYWOOD. thats what it is.

people have this idea that it is ALL glamour. first mistake. hollywood was a dump until they started building and invetsing recently(10 years). the hollywood of the 80's and 90's was horrible. if you dont like it now, you would have high tailed it with your hot mom in seconds back then.

all you really have to do is keep to yourself. respect people. if they ask you for change, dont ignore them. the best response would be "aw, not today. you caught me on a bad day brotha/sista. i take this bus alot(or 'i work this corner every day') maybe next time."

if it is looney tunes folks. then find a seat next to old people. or mothers with children. they are usually immune from the looneys (not always tho). if you see a group of people trying to get into it with eachother. cross the street. walk away. its not that hard.

take it from someone who rides the bus and the train in far worse and dangerous areas of LA, at all hours. you will be fine. the buses up in hollywood are more frequent and reliable than the ones down here in South C. not to mention safer.

i think its just a matter of getting used to it. learn how to navigate the city. being from another big city doesnt mean you know the ins and outs of URBAN living in LA. this is the life you chose. if a couple bums or drunkards fighting scare you, then you might want to reconsider the whole music/DJ/club/promoter/stripper/singer entertainment field. it will leave you bow-legged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles