Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
California is the fourth "stickiest" state in the country, meaning, it retains a greater percentage of native-born residents than the vast majority of other states. Contrary to what many people believe, California is actually not a state full of "transplants".

The states with the highest percentage of native-born residents:

Texas
North Carolina
Georgia
California
Wisconsin

States with the lowest percentage of native-born residents (that is, these are the states with the highest percentage of transplants):

Nevada
Arizona
Arkansas
Florida
Washington, DC

Is Your State Magnetic Or Sticky? : NPR
That doesn't change that 40% of the adult population are transplants, according to the same source. It's not "full" of transplants, but nearly every other person you see was born elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:24 AM

51 posts, read 130,287 times
I love hearing everyone's opinions. Everytime I visit this website, I learn a bit more about LA. Just with this thread I learnt a lot about how Angelenos think, and about social workings etc etc. It's a wonderful tool for gaining knowladge otherwise unobtainable andfor someone who has only seen the tip of the iceberg. It still sounds like an amazing place, and I can't wait to come. And yes, I have been reading all the advice given to other posters regarding moving to CA. The only thing that still worries me is the job market. We will have quite a bit of money saved up ($17000.00 plus minus) and both of us are comming to study. I do however keep an eye on craigslist regarding the vacant jobs, and even if half of those are scams, there's still a lot of work to do it seems. But hey, will have to wait until we get therre I suppose.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Well I don't know about them venturing around L.A., but I have noticed not many travel far from CA in general, unless it's leaving the country. When I was in L.A. some people seriously did not know what part of the country Indiana is in. Some thought we were next to New York! I guess if I were lucky enough to live in CA my whole life I would really have no reason to leave either.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:38 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Zakk : I think people who "rent" move more often than others, speaking from personal experience. I've moved more than 10 times in my 49 years of life. The longest time I ever stayed in one place was in the second house I owned. The other two...there was a divorce the first time - the inlaw situation was hostile & the last time I had a "liar loan" so I could't keep the house.

I've noticed that former classmates tend to still live relatively close to where we grew up, but not necessarily in the same original county.Even tho LA is a city, alot of us say we're "from LA" to describe different city because we are from the county of the same name - there's no way to know what we mean if we don't give more details. Maybe that's part of what you are wondering about.

As for going to Beverly Hills, are you kidding? I feel embarrassed for myself when I have the odd chance to be anywhere near BH. I just don't fit in. I'm not even the "Macy's" department store type. If I went INTO Rodeo Drive, it would probably be a mutual gawking fest. Like, "what's the maid doing here?" I've been on the residential streets & enjoyed the historical homes but the retail side.... I don't even think I like the Bev Cen. Can't feel comfortable there unless I feel like I can drop a hundred dollars. I hate malls anyway. It's all xerox fashion.

The reason people go anywhere in CA is usually either for work, family, necessary shopping/services or entertainment.

The traffic is usually a determining factor. Why go to Burbank unless you have a specific reason? Or Glendale. I've done some historic site seeing & shopping outside where I lived in LA & various other counties but I would only live where I can work.

I've lived in (hometown) Huntington Park, Downey, Anaheim, Yucca Valley, Palm Springs, Torrance, Redondo Beach, Murrieta & then I moved to Oregon. I've worked in more cities than I resided in. Almost everyone in CA commutes.

A long time ago, I also lived in Idaho for almost a year. I had a very good disposable income then. I could go where I felt inclined.

Probably it isn't as different as you may have imagined... And it probably has everything to do with disposable income. The more you can spend, the more independence you can exercise.

But if you own your home & have a decent arrangement, you would only move if you had to (probably). However, during the Real Estate Boom, I think people were moving more because they could flip their investments. Not so easy now.

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-23-2009 at 11:49 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 11:59 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Zakk, there are alot of people from South Africa & Zimbabwe in Southern California. I worked with 2 in what I'd call "LA" & at least 2 more in Murrieta/Escondido - one spoke Africaans and another was Asian Indian. I met other S.A's along the way, outside of work, also. They were all pharmacy managers.

The one who could speak Africaans was fond of telling a story of being asked "where" he was from. He was delighted to say "Poway". That's the small town in San Diego he moved to.

San Diego is another place where the county and a city have the same name, btw. So if someone said they'd lived in SD all his/her life, it wouldn't necessarily mean the same city for a whole life.

There is a big ex-pat group here in Southern CA. Maybe you can find a way to network with them. They all seem to be what we call "tight" with each other. They could give you the real "low down".

Old 08-25-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Zakk, there are alot of people from South Africa & Zimbabwe in Southern California. I worked with 2 in what I'd call "LA" & at least 2 more in Murrieta/Escondido - one spoke Africaans and another was Asian Indian. I met other S.A's along the way, outside of work, also. They were all pharmacy managers.

The one who could speak Africaans was fond of telling a story of being asked "where" he was from. He was delighted to say "Poway". That's the small town in San Diego he moved to.

San Diego is another place where the county and a city have the same name, btw. So if someone said they'd lived in SD all his/her life, it wouldn't necessarily mean the same city for a whole life.

There is a big ex-pat group here in Southern CA. Maybe you can find a way to network with them. They all seem to be what we call "tight" with each other. They could give you the real "low down".
Ha ha ha, thanks for this reply, it made me smile!! (in a good way) I know there are some ex-pats out there, and I am going to try and hook up with them when I am in LA. By the way, it's spelled Afrikaans, with a K and not a C. : )

I think that sort of understand after reading all the replies, even though my OP might have been a bit misunderstood. I now get that all the things you really need are usually in a very close proximity, so the need, or want (because of the bad traffic) isn't really there. You don't have to venture far to do what you want to do, or get what you need to get. My spacial awarenes of how big (or how small for that matter) is obviously still a bit skewed. Guess I'll have to wait till I get there. The other thing that I've noticed is the mixed opinions regarding the public transport system you have. Keep in mind where I come from, we are only now getting a metro train in Johannesburg for the 2010 world cup. The busses and taxis are just to dangerous to use. If i get on a public bus or taxi, chances are pretty good that I will be the only white kid there, not that I'm a racist, but onfortunately it can still be a bit of a touchy subject over here.

So where you guys have a few good trains, and some pretty damn nice busses from what I've heard from friends who've been to LA, it's going to be a huge improvement for me.

Still can't wait though...Feb 2010, only 6 months to go!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:46 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
people think our trans system sucks.

i think its great (not so great on the weekends and nights) but it is doable.

i commute to work everyday on public trans. i ride the bus and train. its pretty reliable. it just depends on what part of the city you are in.

the more densely populated areas have better service. hollywood has pretty good service. the east side is getting better service and the south side is pretty good.

i always see tourists on the train! i like talking to them. all have said that LA transit riders are very friendly. great LA experiences they have had.

i hope you have a great one as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkk View Post
Ha ha ha, thanks for this reply, it made me smile!! (in a good way) I know there are some ex-pats out there, and I am going to try and hook up with them when I am in LA. By the way, it's spelled Afrikaans, with a K and not a C. : )

I think that sort of understand after reading all the replies, even though my OP might have been a bit misunderstood. I now get that all the things you really need are usually in a very close proximity, so the need, or want (because of the bad traffic) isn't really there. You don't have to venture far to do what you want to do, or get what you need to get. My spacial awarenes of how big (or how small for that matter) is obviously still a bit skewed. Guess I'll have to wait till I get there. The other thing that I've noticed is the mixed opinions regarding the public transport system you have. Keep in mind where I come from, we are only now getting a metro train in Johannesburg for the 2010 world cup. The busses and taxis are just to dangerous to use. If i get on a public bus or taxi, chances are pretty good that I will be the only white kid there, not that I'm a racist, but onfortunately it can still be a bit of a touchy subject over here.

So where you guys have a few good trains, and some pretty damn nice busses from what I've heard from friends who've been to LA, it's going to be a huge improvement for me.

Still can't wait though...Feb 2010, only 6 months to go!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
people think our trans system sucks.

i think its great (not so great on the weekends and nights) but it is doable.

i commute to work everyday on public trans. i ride the bus and train. its pretty reliable. it just depends on what part of the city you are in.

the more densely populated areas have better service. hollywood has pretty good service. the east side is getting better service and the south side is pretty good.

i always see tourists on the train! i like talking to them. all have said that LA transit riders are very friendly. great LA experiences they have had.

i hope you have a great one as well.
Thanks man, it's posts like these that make me want to come to LA even more! With all the negativity surrounding LA at the moment it's good to hear something positive as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles