Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,934 times

Advertisements

I posted before and got some incredibly useful help narrowing down places to live for me and my fiance..I will be working in culver city (in 2 weeks) and she will be studying in pomona.

I asked for areas in the middle of LA that were equal distance (more driving for me is OK) and that were safe..We narrowed it down to Alhambra and South Pasadena.

My budget has changed and is now $1400 or so for a 1 or 2 bed..large 1 bed with a place for her to study would be fine, 2 bed would be awesome.

I love the South Pasadena area but the apartments are generally older and not gated..the other area I was thinking of was downtown where there are newer, gated apartments, but much more expensive..on the good side the commute will probably be less, in terms of distance anway.

Any insight on where I should chose? Are there other areas to look for? What type of commute do you think each place will have?

Thanks so much, I am extremely confused and need to make a decision ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
i'm not sure $1,400 will get you much in either location. as for being gated, south pas has to be one of the safest cities in the LA area, you should be fine. also, i would be very surprised if any of the buildings in downtown didn't have locked entry ways from the street/parking garage.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM

24 posts, read 23,368 times
I would check out the Angelino Heights Area of Echo Park. You can get a decent duplex 1 bedroom for less than that. Maybe for a little more than 1400, you can find a good two bedroom. It's very safe, and is further west than Alhambra. Nice, green, and quiet.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I'm not sure what your concerns are about gates, but if the worry is simply that your car won't be safe in a South Pasadena apartment because the parking space isn't gated I don't think you have anything to worry about. People in my South Pas neighborhood always parked on the street, including neighbors with very expensive cars. If you're worried about personal safety, that's not a significant issue in South Pasadena, and I doubt the safety rates of people living in an apartment with a gate are going to be any different from those without. In other words, both are safe.

As far as older apartments, much comes down to personal taste, but I personally prefer the older apartments because they often have more character (interesting built-ins, etc.) and the soundproofing is often better. I suppose it depends on the quality of the new buildings, but the lower- to mid-priced modern places downtown are probably not going to be the ones with the top-notch materials.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 8,934 times
Default Cool Stuff..Best place for the commute?

I mentioned gated complexes because the fiance would be more comfortable with that, but South Pas definitely seems to be on the safe side so I won't worry too much about that - I appreciate the guidance.

I'll check out the Echo Park area- that way I could catch the 110 after Dodger's Stadium and avoid a lot of traffic.

I think downtown is gonna be way too expensive but it would be better for the commute - South Pas to Culver City each day is gonna be pretty bad I think..more than an hour each way?

Is Huntington ->Broadway from South Pas to the 110 a good option to avoid freeways?

Thanks for your guys' help!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:05 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Not sure about commute, although I think you're right that South Pas to Culver City would be at least an hour each way. I can say that Huntington to Broadway is a faster way to get downtown from South Pas than the freeway, at least at rush hour; that stretch goes pretty fast.

If it makes your fiance feel more comfortable, one of the reasons places in South Pasadena don't have gates is because it's not necessary.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niazzzer View Post
I posted before and got some incredibly useful help narrowing down places to live for me and my fiance..I will be working in culver city (in 2 weeks) and she will be studying in pomona.

I asked for areas in the middle of LA that were equal distance (more driving for me is OK) and that were safe..We narrowed it down to Alhambra and South Pasadena.

My budget has changed and is now $1400 or so for a 1 or 2 bed..large 1 bed with a place for her to study would be fine, 2 bed would be awesome.

I love the South Pasadena area but the apartments are generally older and not gated..the other area I was thinking of was downtown where there are newer, gated apartments, but much more expensive..on the good side the commute will probably be less, in terms of distance anway.

Any insight on where I should chose? Are there other areas to look for? What type of commute do you think each place will have?

Thanks so much, I am extremely confused and need to make a decision ASAP.
gated is nice but living in So Pasadena I dont know why gated would or shoudl be an issue. Regardless you are both going to have one heck of a commute. Look into So Pasadena and enjoy your new home.

Nita

Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohword View Post
I would check out the Angelino Heights Area of Echo Park. You can get a decent duplex 1 bedroom for less than that. Maybe for a little more than 1400, you can find a good two bedroom. It's very safe, and is further west than Alhambra. Nice, green, and quiet.
oh my, do you have any idea how long the commute would be from Echo Park to Pomona?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:22 PM

24 posts, read 23,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh my, do you have any idea how long the commute would be from Echo Park to Pomona?
He's also trying to commute to Culver City and is looking for somewhere somewhat in between.
Is Echo Park that much further from Culver City than Alhambra and S. Pasadena? Also, his budget is 1400.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohword View Post
He's also trying to commute to Culver City and is looking for somewhere somewhat in between.
Is Echo Park that much further from Culver City than Alhambra and S. Pasadena? Also, his budget is 1400.
I realize that and yes, 1400 isn't a lot of money. In fact it will be rough to get much of anything for $1400, but Echo Park to Pomona is a heck of a long commute. No matter where he decides the commute is going to be less than a fun experience. I do think So Pasadena might be a little better. Alhambra might as well, but I think Echo Park to Pomoma is just too far. It wouldn't be all that bad for the Culver City part. Again, my opinion. There probably isn't a perfect solution and his budget will not afford him much, especially when he is talking :gated"

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles