Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:09 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,312 times

Advertisements

I hear the news ever day at work, on all the TV’s for sale at my store, the current state of California. And the idea moving there right now probably comes across as pure insanity. But I was thinking about things, and if worse comes to worst and I don’t get into any classes this semester because of some immunization crap their pulling on me, maybe this is the time to just make the move out there. If I could just get a little job like I have here making 9 an hour, I could probably affort a roommate situation. Hell it would probably be nice to have a little company around the house. I mean it’s cheap here in Florida, but when you factor in the AC bills, it kind of negates the low rent. My AC bill in this little dump studio was 125 last month. My life consists of work and sitting in front of my wall AC unit. Now, while I’m establishing my income and living arrangement, I’m also establishing residency. Before long, a year has gone by and I can finish up my degree in LA. I’ll have already achieve one major victory, living in the best city in the country. And that will have a positive influence in other aspects of my life. But the biggest thing will be creating the life I want, and ditching all the anger and resentment of living here. Any hurdles I encounter out there I’ll take full responsibility for. I’ve got a reliable paid for car, no wife or kids, and hardly any belongings. I have a perfect driving record and no convictions. I can basically just pack up the car and head. I might know a couple of people out there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Go for it. You have it all figured out. The In&Out is hiring near me. They pay $10.00 an hour. Minumum wage is $8.00 but I don't know how you can live on that.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:21 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,783 times
You know what, man? You're going to get a lot of naysayers that tell you that you're crazy but I say go for it. I would definitely look for something that pays more than 9/hr though. I say apply at the cable company. I work for Time Warner Cable and our installers start at 14/hr I think. You work for three years and you can start moving up the ladder. Each year you get evaluated and, unless you're a total f-ck up you get some sort of raise. The company also helps out with college loans that they'll pay for if the courses you take are related to your job and that they'll expect payback if they're not. You get personal days, sick time, insurance, 401K and free cable and internet. Those last two will make you very desirable to roommates but with that salary you can probably get yourself a studio in a part of town that is not too shabby. You also get to take your company vehicle home (so you save on gas) and they pay for training.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
You know what, man? You're going to get a lot of naysayers that tell you that you're crazy but I say go for it. I would definitely look for something that pays more than 9/hr though. I say apply at the cable company. I work for Time Warner Cable and our installers start at 14/hr I think. You work for three years and you can start moving up the ladder. Each year you get evaluated and, unless you're a total f-ck up you get some sort of raise. The company also helps out with college loans that they'll pay for if the courses you take are related to your job and that they'll expect payback if they're not. You get personal days, sick time, insurance, 401K and free cable and internet. Those last two will make you very desirable to roommates but with that salary you can probably get yourself a studio in a part of town that is not too shabby. You also get to take your company vehicle home (so you save on gas) and they pay for training.
Even on $14 an hour he will not be able to get much in the way of housing, depending on where he lives. Can you assure this guy Time Warner is hiring right now and has plenty of openings? It sounds like a great place to work, but I think the idea of InnOut is a little more realistic.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
I hear the news ever day at work, on all the TV’s for sale at my store, the current state of California. And the idea moving there right now probably comes across as pure insanity. But I was thinking about things, and if worse comes to worst and I don’t get into any classes this semester because of some immunization crap their pulling on me, maybe this is the time to just make the move out there. If I could just get a little job like I have here making 9 an hour, I could probably affort a roommate situation. Hell it would probably be nice to have a little company around the house. I mean it’s cheap here in Florida, but when you factor in the AC bills, it kind of negates the low rent. My AC bill in this little dump studio was 125 last month. My life consists of work and sitting in front of my wall AC unit. Now, while I’m establishing my income and living arrangement, I’m also establishing residency. Before long, a year has gone by and I can finish up my degree in LA. I’ll have already achieve one major victory, living in the best city in the country. And that will have a positive influence in other aspects of my life. But the biggest thing will be creating the life I want, and ditching all the anger and resentment of living here. Any hurdles I encounter out there I’ll take full responsibility for. I’ve got a reliable paid for car, no wife or kids, and hardly any belongings. I have a perfect driving record and no convictions. I can basically just pack up the car and head. I might know a couple of people out there too.
Matt,

It was a little hard to follow what you were saying as it was all one long paragraph but I think I made it out. What is the immunization concerns or laws you don't seem to be able to deal with? If it were me I would do whatever and continue to live in Florida until you get your degree, especially when you do consider starting over and becoming a residence to save money on tuition, but if you decide to move to California, I would suggest a visit for a few weeks first.

Do I think it is a crazy idea, yep, probably, and yet with no bills, no responsiblities and youth you might want to give it a shot. Where in Ca would you want to live, have you thought about that?

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 04:59 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
There's a reason why California is our most populous state: People like it there.

In spite of all the issues and nay-saying, they keep coming and keep staying.

That should tell you all you need to know.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:37 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Well I've been to Florida so I can understand the OP's frustration. I've always said Florida is basically Indiana with an ocean. Terrible humidity, tons of rednecks, unpredictable weather and bugs the size of small rodents. I say GO! Get out of Fla! i'm kinda in the same boat as you, only I have tried L.A. a few times already and due to the cost of living there I have been forced to look into other states. Either way though leaving Fla is a good idea. Good luck to you!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
Why not? I saw rooms for rent in decent neighborhoods for $450/month.

HousingMaps

Old 08-15-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Well I've been to Florida so I can understand the OP's frustration. I've always said Florida is basically Indiana with an ocean. Terrible humidity, tons of rednecks, unpredictable weather and bugs the size of small rodents. I say GO! Get out of Fla! i'm kinda in the same boat as you, only I have tried L.A. a few times already and due to the cost of living there I have been forced to look into other states. Either way though leaving Fla is a good idea. Good luck to you!
jc, I don't see hardly any similarities between In and Fl except for the humidity and yes, the bugs, although I didn't realize you had that many bugs in IN. By the way, if you don't like bugs, I don't think NM is going to be right for you either. They have lots of roaches plus every other kind of bug you can think of. We would have our home treated every 2 to 3 months, just like most places we have lived.

I haven't lived in Florida for many years but 2 of our kids live there so we visit often. I don't know where in Florida you lived, but hardly would I put rednecks and Florida in the same catagory. Actually I see lots of similarities between Florida and So California. Ca doesn't have the hurricanes, thank goodness and has a higher cost of living, but they attract similar types of people, lots of tourist, lots of immigrants, and lots of tourists.

Nita

Old 08-15-2009, 07:46 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
It's not OUR decision whether you move to Los Angeles or not -- it's all up to you. So if you want to do it, do it. The only thing we can do is offer advice based on experience and knowledge of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles