Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times

Advertisements

Not in L.A. but my older brother (who has never told a lie in his life, trust me) swears that back in 1977 when he was 7 he and a friend were playing in the sandbox on a bright summer day when all of a sudden overhead a huge glowing light came down over them for about 10-15 seconds. It was so bright that he and his friend were sort of hypnotized by it. Did not hurt their eyes though. He said it felt as though it were just watching them and he felt safe. Then in about 2 seconds time it shot into the sky and was gone. You gotta know my brother, he's a one of a kind. He don't lie or draw any attention to himself so I know he's not lying. His friend explained it the same way. That was here in Indiana though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:44 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
No just interested I've seen a few things that I just could not explain.
I'm an expert and optics designer and know all the optical tricks that can occur but I've seen a couple of things that defy explanation.
For instance a light that moved in a zig zag pattern across the entire sky in a couple of seconds came towards us and then shot upwards at incredible speed and disappeared.
I saw exactly what you described while on a night training exercise at Camp Pendleton - 90 miles south of LA - in November of '59.

Odd that the technology hasn't improved over the years, like a larger light or a colored lens. Perhaps we have a xenophobic prankster, unable to change with the times. Probably doesn't even have cable or Direct TV.

OTOH, with all of the cutbacks in funding for government programs, NASA may have had to roll out an old, experimental aircraft.

Did anyone notice a mothball smell?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:29 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Must admit when I was a teen we inflated a surplus weather balloon with Hydrogen with a dozen light-sticks inside...made a beautiful sight as it drifted west at about 5000 ft.
Probably got to Europe but we never found out.
I want to do that, but instead of light sticks, put in a light bulb you can make oscillate from the ground.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

457 posts, read 1,344,893 times
Not in LA, but down south in San Diego a few years ago (2002/2003?).

Driving on the freeway around 7:00 pm when an enormous white light flashes like a strobe three or four times across the sky in front of me before disappearing. Now I am one to look logically at these events and until this instance have always found an explanation for everything I've seen. I have no explanation for this. It was unlike anything I've seen before.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
The jets flying to LAX are UFO's untill you identify them. "Yep its a Boing."

Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM

269 posts, read 783,676 times
I saw a black triangle once that stayed in place for the longest time and it really had me baffled. I was on a walk, so I decided to walk closer to it. It was just a large, black kite. It didn't shine any lights on me, or probe me or anything.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 PM

167 posts, read 435,047 times
nope but saw some weird ass lights about 2 or 3 years ago anyone remeber, it was supposed to like a weather satellite or something

Old 08-24-2009, 05:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Interesting. About 15 years ago, while still in LA I woke up for no reason to see a bright, but small light out of the corner of my window.

Thought I was dreaming so I turned on the lights, stood on my bed and tried to gauge how close the light source was. Initially, I thought it was flashlight and possibly a burglar, but not the case. It was very distant, but the light was so sharp.

When I turned the light back off, the light zig-zagged and then paused for a split second. Then came the weirdest part.

The light disappeared into the sky as if it went straight in a direct line. The light didn't just turn off, zig zag out of sight, etc. The light actually got smaller and smaller. But at a rate I just cannot explain.

I did feel like the light was directed towards our house. Soon as I made movement and the light essentially took off. Weird.
You're not alone the same thing happened to me at home in Queens in June but it was at around 7 PM, I actually saw the ship it actually was a flying saucer and it was very huge, it was zig-zagging in and out of the clouds, it kept coming close and then going far, I never saw anything move so fast in my life.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
You're not alone the same thing happened to me at home in Queens in June but it was at around 7 PM, I actually saw the ship it actually was a flying saucer and it was very huge, it was zig-zagging in and out of the clouds, it kept coming close and then going far, I never saw anything move so fast in my life.
My mother once insisted she was seeing the same exact thing -- turns out it was the star Sirius along with fast moving clouds providing the illusion of movement.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
My mother once insisted she was seeing the same exact thing -- turns out it was the star Sirius along with fast moving clouds providing the illusion of movement.
It came so close it was about the size of a blimp, it was flying back and forth in back of the apartment building across the parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles