Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:41 AM

140 posts, read 531,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Jack,

[mod cut; personal attack] I don't think you realize how expensive it is to bring up children these. It is a HUGE expense. Babbysitters, food, nannies, daycare, clothes, extra bedroom in the house, education, books, bikes, sporting equipment, college, computers, and on and on and on. Do you remember having any of that stuff when you grew up? Do you know how much food growing boys can eat? Do you know how much a pair of Lucky Jeans cost? Enuff said. Talk to your parents.
I feel your pain, Artichoke. I have a son and I do know how expensive they can get. Boys clothes are expensive, especially growing boys. I seem to buy my son new shoes and clothes every three or four months, because he grows so fast. But on my income, I rarely shop in department stores. Being a parent is a joy, but does involve sacrifice. I shop in thrift stores for most of my clothes and shoes. I go without so that my son can have better clothes. However, I do get some of his clothes in thrift stores, too. Target is about as expensive as I can get. I don't know how people survive shopping in the mall. Those prices are through the roof, even the sale prices are expensive! I may shop there once or twice a year. I know having kids is expensive, but birthday and Christmas gifts from family and friends can be lifesavers. So, it can be done. I won't be taking a trip to Disneyland any time soon, but there are ways to fit children into your budget. They are worth the sacrifice. But I must agree with the consensus that California is just way more expensive than it needs to be. It's not like we're New York or Las Vegas where the city has to pay a huge electric bill. There has to be a solution to this problem. Who wants to work just to pay bills and barely break even each month? What kind of life is that for anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 AM

644 posts, read 3,321,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCutter View Post
I feel your pain, Artichoke. I have a son and I do know how expensive they can get. Boys clothes are expensive, especially growing boys. I seem to buy my son new shoes and clothes every three or four months, because he grows so fast. But on my income, I rarely shop in department stores. Being a parent is a joy, but does involve sacrifice. I shop in thrift stores for most of my clothes and shoes. I go without so that my son can have better clothes. However, I do get some of his clothes in thrift stores, too. Target is about as expensive as I can get. I don't know how people survive shopping in the mall. Those prices are through the roof, even the sale prices are expensive! I may shop there once or twice a year. I know having kids is expensive, but birthday and Christmas gifts from family and friends can be lifesavers. So, it can be done. I won't be taking a trip to Disneyland any time soon, but there are ways to fit children into your budget. They are worth the sacrifice. But I must agree with the consensus that California is just way more expensive than it needs to be. It's not like we're New York or Las Vegas where the city has to pay a huge electric bill. There has to be a solution to this problem. Who wants to work just to pay bills and barely break even each month? What kind of life is that for anyone?
FilmCutter,

Actually, I don't have kids. I was just empathizing with those who do. As a single woman, I can't afford to have kids. Used to be people had lots of kids to help out on the farm. Now kids are just a continual stream of outcome. And the sports these kids get into! I know parents who spend weekend driving all over the state to different soccer games, hockey games, or whatnot. And then you have to pay for the SUV, the hotel rooms, all the sports equipment. And the peer pressure. I have a friend in Beverly Hills who is planning on spending around $2,000 just for his kid's birthday party! Makes me want to have my ovaries removed.

Artie

Old 04-29-2007, 02:01 AM

By the way, has anyone ever read that book "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? Our current living situation in California sounds just like that book. You basically work long hours every day and still end up broke every month. The companies pay less and less for health insurance while you pay more for less services. I heard a man once describe a JOB as an acronym for Just Over Broke. Once upon a time in California, if you had a job you could make a good living. Now it's not enough to have just a job, or even a college degree to be able to make it here. How does a receptionist afford rent, gas, car insurance, food, utilities, clothes, children, etc? And never mind unexpected expenses like parking tickets, car repairs, or medical bills that your health benefits don't cover. Oh yeah, is there a such thing as entertainment luxuries such as going to the movies, weekend trips...? I love California, but I don't love the cost of living here. I'm anxious to see what this place will be like when all the poor and working class people have moved away. Paris Hilton will have to clean her own house and mow her own lawn. Actually, that would be pretty hilarious. LOL!!

Old 04-29-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
FilmCutter,

I have a friend in Beverly Hills who is planning on spending around $2,000 just for his kid's birthday party! Makes me want to have my ovaries removed.

Artie

Two grand for a birthday party? That's insane! Even for Beverly Hills. Are they giving out ipods as party favors or something? I paid $85 for my son's birthday party at McDonalds today. It was perfect. Two hours, they give you a cake and ice cream, party favors, and whatever meal the kids want. After that, they just run around and play. I actually feel sorry for people in the suburbs and for rich people. Peer pressure is a killer. Everyone spends so much money trying to impress each other here. It's ridiculous. I've been to Beverly Hills a few times, and the airs people put on there is just laughable. All these people driving around in expensive cars with expensive clothes, and they're all buried under a mountain of debt! As I said, I love California, but this place is full of posers. People are so afraid of anyone finding out that they don't have money. Maybe that's why the cost of living is so high. People are racing each other to the stores to outdo the other person, that retail owners raise the prices to meet the demand. Note to self: stop buying things just to compete with my neighbors.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:59 AM

723 posts, read 2,999,471 times
Quote:
Jack,

I don't think you realize how expensive it is to bring up children these. It is a HUGE expense. Babbysitters, food, nannies, daycare, clothes, extra bedroom in the house, education, books, bikes, sporting equipment, college, computers, and on and on and on. Do you remember having any of that stuff when you grew up? Do you know how much food growing boys can eat? Do you know how much a pair of Lucky Jeans cost? Enuff said. Talk to your parents.
Well, fortunately, I make enough money to not have to worry about that. Moderator cut: personal attack Have a nice day!

Old 04-29-2007, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Pa might not appeal to a young man who is ready to go out and drink at night and party and chase women, but someone who has been through all that, who just wants a quiet life, nice neighbors, and a home she can afford, I imagine it's quite a nice choice.

Artie
Well, You might some of that there, but again, depending on the location. The area I grew up in was very socially and economically depressed. Most people were what I would call "backwards." Again, you may enjoy it. I hope you do. I could see doing it again if I didn't have the woes that many of the people I saw around me had.

Then again, reading this board, it seems like many people here in soCal are miserable as well, and for the same reasons. Guess it's just a perspective thing.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCutter View Post
Two grand for a birthday party? That's insane! Even for Beverly Hills. Are they giving out ipods as party favors or something? I paid $85 for my son's birthday party at McDonalds today. It was perfect. Two hours, they give you a cake and ice cream, party favors, and whatever meal the kids want. After that, they just run around and play. I actually feel sorry for people in the suburbs and for rich people. Peer pressure is a killer. Everyone spends so much money trying to impress each other here. It's ridiculous. I've been to Beverly Hills a few times, and the airs people put on there is just laughable. All these people driving around in expensive cars with expensive clothes, and they're all buried under a mountain of debt! As I said, I love California, but this place is full of posers. People are so afraid of anyone finding out that they don't have money. Maybe that's why the cost of living is so high. People are racing each other to the stores to outdo the other person, that retail owners raise the prices to meet the demand. Note to self: stop buying things just to compete with my neighbors.
FilmCutter,

I think $2K is an insane amount of money for a 15-year-old's birthday party. Even if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be doshing it out on a child and giving him an impression that this is what to expect out of life. I think my friend wants to impress the other parents. And I think there's a certain amount of pressure in having to fit in. But that's sort of the culture here in Los Angeles. Money equals power, so everyone drives around in a fancy car, wears the designer labels, and so on. It's an easy trap to fall into. I myself have bought too many clothes while living in this town! I have a closet full of cashmere sweaters that I don't wear. Crazy.

Artie

Old 04-29-2007, 01:18 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,552,477 times
I've just edited a couple of posts for personal attacks. Please play nicely, everyone. We can agree to disagree without making personal comments. Thank you.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've just edited a couple of posts for personal attacks. Please play nicely, everyone. We can agree to disagree without making personal comments. Thank you.
Agreed, Sandy. Thanks for the reminder.

Artie

Old 04-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Weak. Heh, where was that post about totalitarian rules? hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles