Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 AM

45 posts, read 244,722 times

Advertisements

Hey all!

I just graduated from a 4 year university in May and after having no luck finding a job in Minnesota, I am looking to relocate. Though I have never been to LA, I have friends there who say they like it and I am almost certain I would enjoy it. I have been to SF and really liked it there but its really expensive...I also hear LA can be quite expensive. The main things that attract me to the area are the music scene, WEATHER, and the sports (even though I still hold the Vikings close to my heart, they may also be moving to LA in a few years )

Anyway, would I be wasting my time applying for entry level jobs in LA? I have been doing an unpaid internship over the summer in the field I wish to pursue (HR). Although its small work experience, I have been getting interviews lately. Would I be wasting my time applying for jobs there? Is the job market in the area pretty bad?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:00 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
LA is much cheaper than SF, although still more expensive than MN (I'm from Minneapolis). You won't be wasting your time to apply to jobs in LA, although it is true that your chances are pretty slim. The job market in LA is much worse than in Minnesota, or at least worse than in the Twin Cities (don't know about the rest of the state). Given this economy you might as well apply for jobs in any place you'd consider living, and see what happens. You might want to expand your search to some other states, too.

If you do make it to LA you'll find that there are plenty of Minnesotans floating around; not sure what school you graduated from, but there's a fairly active U of MN alumni association that sponsors a lot of events. You could try contacting them to see if they help at all on the networking front, or, if that's not your school, there's a good chance that your own college has its share of alumni in the LA area.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrillHouse763 View Post
would I be wasting my time applying for entry level jobs in LA?
What did you earn your degree in?
What career interests do you have?
What are your peers doing with their degrees?
Where are your peers working?

Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What did you earn your degree in?
What career interests do you have?
What are your peers doing with their degrees?
Where are your peers working?
I majored in Psychology with a minor in Human Resources Management.
I want to further develop my career in recruiting or HR related field.
One friend of mine has some sort of Art degree and is working freelance and also at Bolt City as a production assistant...Another friend majored in Math and is working at Tactical Language as a programmer.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
LA is much cheaper than SF, although still more expensive than MN (I'm from Minneapolis). You won't be wasting your time to apply to jobs in LA, although it is true that your chances are pretty slim. The job market in LA is much worse than in Minnesota, or at least worse than in the Twin Cities (don't know about the rest of the state). Given this economy you might as well apply for jobs in any place you'd consider living, and see what happens. You might want to expand your search to some other states, too.

If you do make it to LA you'll find that there are plenty of Minnesotans floating around; not sure what school you graduated from, but there's a fairly active U of MN alumni association that sponsors a lot of events. You could try contacting them to see if they help at all on the networking front, or, if that's not your school, there's a good chance that your own college has its share of alumni in the LA area.
I went to Minnesota State - Mankato but its a fairly large school so I'll see what I can find on the web. I am also considering Miami but I heard the job market there is very bad. The east coast is also appealing but I just want some place where it will be warm most of the time. The Minnesota winters have started to really bother me and it doesn't help that I'm not a winter sports type of person.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:39 PM

364 posts, read 990,969 times
L.A. is hurting right now with jobs as the economy has really battered SoCal. However, you may try the temp route if you can't find permanent work. It's a great way to find a company you like and, many times,companies hire temp to perm.

Check the SHRM web site as well. You may find some leads that way.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:21 AM

927 posts, read 2,465,885 times
Just wondering what happened with this person. I'm from Minneapolis and will be relocating out to LA next month.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Just wondering what happened with this person. I'm from Minneapolis and will be relocating out to LA next month.
Sometimes these posters just come on, ask a few questions and if they don't find out what they want or hear what they want they disappear. I gues that is what happened here.

I just checked, last time he posted was about 8 months ago and it appeared he stayed in MN.

Good luck with you rre-location, I hope you have a job or a nice savings to fall back on. Keep us posted.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: