Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 PM

28 posts, read 269,938 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Hello every one. i am 24 years old..i am really confused and i need your help.

I am about to transfer to Cabrillo College in Aptos. My family will come from other country to US this fall. So i need to decide very carefully because they will come to me.

I need to consider about:
1-the rate of Housing,
2-Finding job for my dad and mom,
3-and registering high school for my two small sisters. (we really want them to be in a local and small place)

as i am a F1 visa i need to register in a college and be a full time student in there.

i was thinking about the below options:

1-Cebrillo College in Aptos, Living in Aptos
2- Cebrillo College in Aptos, Living in Santa Cruz
3-Cebrillo College in Aptos, Living in San Jose (is there a bus and public transportation between San Jose and Santa Cruz?)
4-West LA College in LA, living in LA

considering my needs which of these options you think might be better? please help me and explain.

thank you all and have a wonderful time.
sona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 PM

179 posts, read 921,767 times
i would say, San Jose first and L.A. second. There is just very little room in Santa Cruz. The rent and costs in Santa Cruz are higher then San Jose or L.A. which are almost equal.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,926 times
I am going to go with Aptos/Santa Cruz first, L.A. second. The commute from San Jose to Cabrillo College isn't short, and traffic can be really bad. However, there are a lot more jobs in San Jose. Aptos isn't affordable, but you could find smaller and better schools for your sisters there, and it is a fun, beautiful, friendly town. By the way, Aptos is right next to the city of Santa Cruz, so working in one of these towns and living in the other will not be a problem (unless you are way out in the Santa Cruz mountains somewhere).

L.A. will have far more employment opportunites. But, you'll have to deal with the horrendous traffic, the pollution, and the huge population.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 AM

179 posts, read 921,767 times
Oh yeah, i prefer Santa Cruz by all means. I lived there for two years, while working in San Jose. But you have to have the money for it. The amenities are low but the rent is high because of the lack of space. So yeah, place your job first.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM

208 posts, read 979,947 times
wow three really different places. try to spend time in each and then decide

Old 06-15-2007, 11:58 AM

411 posts, read 1,601,714 times
Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz.

Bring your wallet and a few other people's too. :-)

Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 PM

29 posts, read 65,834 times
Hi, If you are definite about attending Cabrillo college, then I'd suggest living on the coast. There are several towns in the area that you could choose from: Aptos and Santa Cruz are not far from each other. Commuting from San Jose would get tiresome very fast.

If you choose to live in San Jose, I would suggest you attend West Valley College (Saratoga) or DeAnza College (Cupertino).These are very similar to Cabrillo in that they are all Junior Colleges where most people commute to rather than live on-site. Both Saratoga and Cupertino are smaller cities near San Jose, although it would be better described as suburban sprawl because you cannot really tell where one starts and the other ends. This area would probably be easier for your parents to find work as it is a much larger area.

West Valley College and DeAnza are both good, and San Jose State University is in downtown San Jose if you want to transfer to a four year college from either.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM

28 posts, read 269,938 times
thanks to every one, i had a too busy week and i am doing the paper works.

by what you folks had guided me i think i move to Santa Cruz, i had found some job opportunities in library than move to San Jose. I don't want o mess up with LA!

i would be happy if you help me to find some places to rend a fair house or apartment in Santa Cruz or Aptos area. considering i am transferring to Cabrillo College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles