Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:30 PM

304 posts, read 931,528 times

Advertisements

You can absolutely rent a 2 br 2 ba apt for $1500 in Long Beach or Torrance.
Not a huge problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
You aren't going to rent a house for 1500. That's a 2bd apt in a good area(though probably not on LA's west side). I live in Los Alamitos, have a 1400 rent on a 2bd townhouse apt, and the schools are excellent here. It's on the other side of Long Beach, not the best commute but not the worst in LA either.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffavail View Post
in this age of acronyms, called PV.
Sorry stuffavail, I had to chuckle. It was called PV way back in the dark ages of the 70s, when I schooled there, as well.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
My relatives on my mom's side (as is my mom) are all from Arkansas. You are in for one heck of a culture shock in L.A.

On the plus side, SoCal summers are very dry, so you don't have that oppressive humidity there that you do in Arkansas.

I personally am not satisfied that you can afford to raise your kids in a good area in SoCal. Please think about this move long and hard.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlag View Post
My husband has a potential job in the Rolling Hills area of LA. I hear this area is really expensive. We have 2 young girls~1 just started 1st grade and the other will be in Kindergarten next year. So schools are a very important issue. I know nothing about California! I'm a small town Arkansas girl. What are the best cities in this area as far as low crime rate, family friendly, affordable housing?? Websites, personal experience, ANYTHING that will help give me more info!!! Much appreciated! Thanks!
What can I say except, OMG!! Sorry, but you will be in for a total cultural and financual shock. That being said, you haven't mentioned housing budget, but the best, considering schools etc will probably be Torrance. Rolling Hills is extremely pricey....I don't know what else to tell you.

As for 1500, I am not certain you will be able to find much, even a 2 bedroom in Torrance or any of the lower crime areas for that amount, but I might be wrong.

You will love the beach, hate the traffic and love the summer weather.
Nita

Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinCups View Post
Karlag, You did not say if you are looking to rent or to buy. As far as the school district in Palos Verdes/Rolling Hills they are among the best schools in Southern California. There is also a private School Chadwick School.

The city of Rolling Hills/Palos Verdes is absolutely beautiful, virtually no crime, other than occasional white collar crime that can happen anywhere. The only graffiti I have seen was on the McDonalds on Silver Spur & Crenshaw when it closed. No gang presence or crime to speak of.

Houses in Rolling Hills & Rolling Hills Estate start close to $1 million dollars, homes in Palos Verdes start around $650K, unless you look on the eastside that is closer to San Pedro. The area is at the edge of Los Angeles county bordered by the Pacific Ocean. Townhomes & Condos sell for less depending on the size you want.

Many of the residents of RH are doctors, lawyers, business owners, retired actors, and many retired senior citizens who worked for schools & aerospace and bought during the 60's & 70's when the homes were selling for less than $100K.

If you do look for a home, ask to stay away from the area that has peacocks roaming free, they are noisy & messy.

Once you visit, you will never want to leave. The only downside, as the other poster said is the distance to the Harbor freeway, and lack of stores & restaurants.

There is an open air mall with J. Jill, Ann Taylor and other high end stores, & a movie theater & skating rink, but you will need to drive (3-8 miles) to Torrance, Redondo Beach or Manhattan Beach for a better selection of stores & restaurants.

If you look for housing in the surrounding areas, try: Redondo Beach, Torrance, Lomita, or the South Shores section of San Pedro, the ex-mayor of Los Angeles lives there and many of the homes have ocean views.

Here are a few links:

Palos Verdes Unified School District

Palos Verdes Peninsula News

HOME - The Daily Breeze

Hope this helps and good luck.
I don't think there is much in Palos Verdes for $650,000.

Nita

Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM

273 posts, read 655,641 times
There are 5 communities in PV, 4 of these are incorporated AFAIK, and sub communities to those. For instance, the City of Rolling Hills Estates has 3 communities: South Coast Park, Rolling Hills Country Club and South Rolling Hills Estates. Rancho PV has 4 subs.

There are a wide range of prices. In this market, 650K is doable. If you want to pay 7K a year in taxes.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
In this market, 650K is doable. If you want to pay 7K a year in taxes.
That $7K sounds cheap for a $650K home when you consider those homes have no Mello Roos and probably no HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles