Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times

Advertisements

While looking in another thread I saw pictures of the old Russell Ranch and what is now Westlake Village. These photo's are amazing and interesting. I was wondering if anyone can share side-by-side photos of past and present of different parts of L.A. and Southern California.
I know we have the LA pictures thread, but this one I would like side-by-sides if anyone has any. Very interested in the above mentioned areas and how it became a lake and any other areas that have changed quite a bit.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 04:44 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
do you mean physically changed?
demographically?
aesthetically?

hmmmm

Old 09-23-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
do you mean physically changed?
demographically?
aesthetically?

hmmmm
I'm sorry, I meant by all around looks. 50 years ago and Today, kinda like a comparison photo. Like what Charles posted, Thanks Charles!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:26 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
I remember when the area immediately around Exposition Park was nice. But that was in the early 1960's before the Watts riots.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Are you referring to Los Angeles city or the entire metro area? If you are talking metro it would be east San Gabriel Valley or OC. If you are talking about Los Angeles proper, probably So Los Angeles. It was always a nice middle class neighborhood until the mid 50s when things started changing.

Nita

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Are you referring to Los Angeles city or the entire metro area? If you are talking metro it would be east San Gabriel Valley or OC. If you are talking about Los Angeles proper, probably So Los Angeles. It was always a nice middle class neighborhood until the mid 50s when things started changing.

Nita
The entire LA and surrounding areas. I just wanna see old and new pics side by side. Of anything really just to see how it's changed, or has not changed. I am doing a little comparison study of how the west coast differs from where I live as far as changes go. My area is part of the rust belt so due to bad weather and humidity many of our older buildings are long gone leaving very different looking lanscapes. With CA not having such drastic changes in weather I notice that there seems to be a little more history still standing opposed to here. My Grandma is 85 and says there's only a hand full of buildings that still stand from when she was young. It's just weird to see such drastic changes.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
The entire LA and surrounding areas. I just wanna see old and new pics side by side. Of anything really just to see how it's changed, or has not changed. I am doing a little comparison study of how the west coast differs from where I live as far as changes go. My area is part of the rust belt so due to bad weather and humidity many of our older buildings are long gone leaving very different looking lanscapes. With CA not having such drastic changes in weather I notice that there seems to be a little more history still standing opposed to here. My Grandma is 85 and says there's only a hand full of buildings that still stand from when she was young. It's just weird to see such drastic changes.
yes, buildings can be damaged by weather as we all know, but much of what has happened in Los Angeles has to do with growth and replacing the old with new. I would bet Charles will be able to dig up some of those pixs you are talking about.

Nita

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
I found this neat set of "Then and Now" stories in the LA Times.

More L.A. Then and Now stories -- latimes.com

Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
I've no time to find photos for this.

From my 40 year plus perspective the biggest change is downtown.

When I was a kid there was almost nothing there in the way of highrises.

Also, until the 90s downtown was a fairly scary place - a very dangerous vibe. Now it is far less oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles