Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

I'm 18, and attending CSU Northridge. I haven't been to Koreatown yet in Downtown Los Angeles. Is it a worthwhile stop? What is there to see?

Next Saturday, the club I am in is taking me to:
-El Pueblo de Los Angeles
-Cathedral of the Ladies
-Chinatown
-Little Tokyo
-MTA Building
-Fashion District
-Disney Concert Hall
-City Hall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:04 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I'm 18, and attending CSU Northridge. I haven't been to Koreatown yet in Downtown Los Angeles. Is it a worthwhile stop? What is there to see?

-Cathedral of the Ladies
-Chinatown
-Little Tokyo
-MTA Building
-Fashion District
-Disney Concert Hall
-City Hall
Well, my guess.... Koreans?

Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

-Cathedral of the Ladies
-Chinatown
-Little Tokyo
-MTA Building
-Fashion District
-Disney Concert Hall
-City Hall
Is this a sight-seeing trip or something you're doing for school?

Old 09-27-2009, 07:01 PM

135 posts, read 476,418 times
All I've ever noticed about Koreatown is that there are 100's of little shops up and down the section of Western in between Melrose and Venice heading south, and on Wilshire in between Vermont and Crenshaw heading west. Within that area are tons of Korean restaurants and shops, nightclubs and the such. There's a spot just off the SE cornor of Wilshire and Normandie, behind the plaza, that always jumping with great music. I've not been but there was always a big crowd when I was in the area.

A buddy hipped me to the YELP website and its great for finding out information on spots you would like to check out before driving there. Also, you can find out what going on about town and get real online reviews on places of interest.

Los Angeles Restaurants, Dentists, Bars, Beauty Salons, Doctors

Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
there really isn't anything historic or famous in koreatown besides the wiltern theater, which is cool, but you probably won't be able to just walk in. maybe you could make a trip down there another time.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Koreatown is boring, a bad mix of businesses who don't seem to want business.
I'd skip it and add Little Saigon Westminster CA, near Disneyland

Old 09-27-2009, 07:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Are you talking about adding this to one day's itinerary, or visiting at some other point? I would NOT try to add it in on Saturday (your schedule looks really stuffed as it is), but since you're not that far away I'd definitely come back and see Koreatown at some point. You should do Little Saigon some time, too, if you make an Orange County visit.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:53 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Koreatown is congested, and you really won't be able to pick out anything useful because all the signs are in Korean. The difference between a restaurant, spa, bakery, dr. office, dentist....who knows?

There is an interesting shopping mall there. But you'll be a fish out of water.

On the upside, you could take a picture there and tell everyone you were in Korea because you won't be able to tell the difference.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
it never amazes me how ignorant some posters are!

k-town has a lot to offer everyone, including non koreans. it is far from boring or excusionary.

wilshire blvd (a major k-town thoroughfare) has a lot to see. there is the wiltern. there is the jewish temple. the catholic church. old apt bldgs. nice office towers. some really fine architechture. there are also lots of restaurants and shops. even for those who dont understand korean. its a good place to hang out for a bit, but not for the whole day. unless you hit up one of the many day spas in the area (some of the best in the city)
i say check it out.
but YELP first. yelp is your friend.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
Anybody here tried Korean Fried Chicken yet? I heard its so good. At least, Koreatown has great food, though I haven't been able to experience it yet. People rave about Korean BBQ and Korean Fried Chicken though. So that's something you could definitely try. It'd probably be best to include it in a bigger day-trip around LA using the metro red line.
I got to admit, I always feel a little intimidated by Koreatown. But its definitely an interesting place. I guess because I'm a fan of a somewhat chaotic urban landscape.
Korean food rocks, but it is uber spicy. So if you don't like spicy food then it won't be for you.

Kalbi (korean grilled chicken) is great, as is Bulgogi (marinated beef). There is also a spicy, if overpriced tofu soup called Dubu (a Korean cognate of the Japanese word tofu) and another soup called Jampong (usually had squid in it when I ate it in Korea, but I like squid, so no problem). There is also a chicken dish that is like a Korean adaptation of sweet and sour chicken that is soooooo good. I was eating that at least once a week at this little mom and pop place next to the apartment I was living in in Taejon.

And you can't forget about the various kinds of kimchi. The radish version is my favorite, but it's all good. Just make sure you pop a couple of mints after you eat it because it has a lot of garlic in it.

The only things I really didn't care for in Korea were boiled silkworms and this rice and raisin concoction that was pretty tough sledding to eat both texturally and flavorwise. I would also never eat dog. That idea is just revolting to me.

In any event, make sure you really give Korean food a good chance. Definitely tasty stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles