Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP560 View Post
I did a search on this forum and seems South Pasadena was highly recommended. Are there any new homes there?

To sum it up we prefer:
- Single family home
- Near Asian stores/restaurants but not a must
- Really prefer a new house among other newer homes in a community
- 3 bedroom
- 2.5 bath
- 2 car garage at least
- All adults so schools not a factor
- Relatively close to downtown LA (30 minutes no traffic)
- Willing to spend up to a $1 mil

Am I asking too much? If worst comes to worst, any new homes near LA would do. Also please mention if you know any up and coming developments.

Thanks
You may be asking too much but what you are asking is not out of the ordinary. I'm not sure why Asians prefer newer homes but it does happen. My in-laws are Chinese and they freaked when we bought our first house, Spanish style home built in the 30s in Alhambra. After living there for some time they began to appreciate how well built the house was and appreciate the charm and character that came along with it.

As has been said, for what you want you will have to look further than 30 minutes without traffic from downtown LA. You can look in: 1) Arcadia with newer homes and PUD style condos built where older homes once stood; 2) similar properties in El Monte, Monterey Park, San Gabriel, etc.; 3) further out are the areas around Walnut and Diamond Bar with lots of Asian businesses along the 60 freeway east of the 605; 4) for tracts full of newer homes you could also look in the Chino and Chino Hills area, lots of Asian families have moved out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM

355 posts, read 1,479,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
There haven't been any big tracts of buildable land within 30 minutes of downtown LA for a long time. As previously noted, you'll have to drive to the fringe of the region for that, and that's going to be a heck of a lot more than 30 minutes away. All the new construction you'll find in the LA basin is either condo high rises, single lot teardowns, or small infill projects where you have half a dozen mcmansions on tiny lots surrounded by ghetto on at least 3 sides.
Well, there are certainly large buildable tracts of land all over the basin and well within 30 miles of downtown...the problem is, the cost to actually develop them will be incredibly prohibitive. Not only due to the cost of the land, but the amount of red tape, cost and restrictions to get the permits and approval necessary to develop it, then you have the neighborhood associations to contend with that will fight it every step of the way...it would take EXTREMELY deep pockets as well as very tight connections/bribes (hey let's call a spade a spade) to the mayor/mayor's office and city council just to get the project off the ground and get the wheels greased at the planning commission/building safety and inspection etc., and even then there is no guarantee of getting it actually constructed because various homeowners/neighborhood associations could tie you up in court for decades to block the project. Then, after all these costs to add in, good luck just breaking even if you do get the project completed.

Other than that I agree with you fully - in LA, most new development is of micro-new communities, maybe 10 or 20 new single family freestanding homes at best, and usually it's only 1 or 2 new homes, lot by lot development on tear downs or open lots. Or townhomes/condos.

Last edited by Delron; 10-23-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,443,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Well, there are certainly large buildable tracts of land all over the basin and well within 30 miles of downtown...the problem is, the cost to actually develop them will be incredibly prohibitive. Not only due to the cost of the land, but the amount of red tape, cost and restrictions to get the permits and approval necessary to develop it, then you have the neighborhood associations to contend with that will fight it every step of the way...it would take EXTREMELY deep pockets as well as very tight connections/bribes (hey let's call a spade a spade) to the mayor/mayor's office and city council just to get the project off the ground and get the wheels greased at the planning commission/building safety and inspection etc., and even then there is no guarantee of getting it actually constructed because various homeowners/neighborhood associations could tie you up in court for decades to block the project. Then, after all these costs to add in, good luck just breaking even if you do get the project completed.

In LA, most new development is of micro-new communities, maybe 10 or 20 new single family freestanding homes at best, and usually it's only 1 or 2 new homes, lot by lot development on tear downs or open lots. Or townhomes/condos.
Where, exactly would these tracts of buildable land be in the basin? Short of something big like Van Nuys Airport closing and being redeveloped, I don't see much open space that isn't on at least a 30 degree slope.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,583 times
There is a development in Hermon (right next to South Pas, in the 90042 zip code). It's not the greatest zip code but that particular development looks (IMO) to be real safe, and I think that area seems pretty decent overall. It's 2005 built tract housing, it sounds like it would fit your bill. I think there's like 50 or 60 new houses in that development. There are a couple for sale on the MLS. 679 shafter way and 657 shafter way, both in LA, CA 90042. You can check the MLS or google. That type of development might be what you're looking for. My guess is there's quite a few Asians that live in that development because it's close to MP, SG, DTLA and it fits a lot of the cultural affinity for new homes.

The best part about those homes is they are quite large (2500 sq ft and up) and are priced in like the 600-700s range. When we were looking at houses we came across that area and thought it was a really good location. Personally I am more into historic homes but if you want a new home within 5 miles of DTLA close to other new homes, I haven't really seen any other developments quite like it. My wife is fairly snobby about neighborhoods and safety and she found that area to be perfectly acceptable. If you look at the overall zip code stats you probably won't like what you see but if you drive around that neighborhood (90042 is primarily Highland Park/LA and this part of the zip code is Hermon/LA) I think it fits what you're looking for almost perfectly. You're within 5-10 minutes of both Monterey Park and San Gabriel, and even closer to Alhambra I think. Plus it's 10 minutes from DTLA.

Last edited by drshang; 10-23-2009 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-23-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
If you can compromise on commuting then I think Irvine and vicinity meets all your requirements - it is just so far, over 40 miles though. If you can work the train from there...not sure. Very Asian, excellent schools (which are important even if you don't have kids), SFR, price range. Check the train possibilities.
Of course, you have to be VERY careful "buying" in Irvine and various surrounding communities, as there is a good possibility you won't actually own your own land in Irvine, you just lease it for 99 years from the Irvine Company.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Where, exactly would these tracts of buildable land be in the basin? Short of something big like Van Nuys Airport closing and being redeveloped, I don't see much open space that isn't on at least a 30 degree slope.
lot of open spaces in the smaller hills and foothill areas in and around Mt. Washington, Lincoln Heights, there's that huge swath of land in the Hollywood Hills near the sign that's privately held, all over the Santa Monica mountains/Bel Air, parts of Culver City/Ladera Heights/Baldwin Hills, etc.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 8,454 times
I am a Realtor and Architect and live in Monrovia, Ca. 15 miles north of Monterey Park. If you wish to live in a community with a large Asian community I recommend Arcadia. Much nicer, close to Pasenda great home values. As for the "new" house, those are normally built in areas with large undeveloped land and the make-up of community and neighborhoods can change quickly. Also, the greatest concentrations of foreclosures and problems are in those "tract" areas. The established areas like Arcadia have very stable property values and neighborhoods.

There are homes you can buy now that have been recently remodeled and will feel like new, but landscaped. Or you can buy a cheaper house and have it remodeled the way you want it. I am not Asian, but Monrovia is next door to Arcadia and I am president of Arcadia Pony Baseball, where my kids play because it is so much nicer. Great community/schools.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:32 PM

14 posts, read 34,360 times
Thanks guys.

We've pretty much bought almost all of our houses new where I'm from. It's just what we prefer.

I'll definitely check into Arcadia.

As for the train and schooling. We all pretty much will travel by car 99% of the time and my parents are going to be retiring in LA. I will probably working over there.

Orange County isn't entirely off the list yet. I'd have to spend more time over there to see if I like it. I have a friend that just moved to Orange, CA in a brand new single family home. It was nice but just a little far again.

I will look into the Hermon area.

Thanks all.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:46 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
There is a development in Hermon (right next to South Pas, in the 90042 zip code). It's not the greatest zip code but that particular development looks (IMO) to be real safe, and I think that area seems pretty decent overall. It's 2005 built tract housing, it sounds like it would fit your bill. I think there's like 50 or 60 new houses in that development. There are a couple for sale on the MLS. 679 shafter way and 657 shafter way, both in LA, CA 90042. You can check the MLS or google. That type of development might be what you're looking for. My guess is there's quite a few Asians that live in that development because it's close to MP, SG, DTLA and it fits a lot of the cultural affinity for new homes.

The best part about those homes is they are quite large (2500 sq ft and up) and are priced in like the 600-700s range. When we were looking at houses we came across that area and thought it was a really good location. Personally I am more into historic homes but if you want a new home within 5 miles of DTLA close to other new homes, I haven't really seen any other developments quite like it. My wife is fairly snobby about neighborhoods and safety and she found that area to be perfectly acceptable. If you look at the overall zip code stats you probably won't like what you see but if you drive around that neighborhood (90042 is primarily Highland Park/LA and this part of the zip code is Hermon/LA) I think it fits what you're looking for almost perfectly. You're within 5-10 minutes of both Monterey Park and San Gabriel, and even closer to Alhambra I think. Plus it's 10 minutes from DTLA.
I live a couple of blocks from the development, if you look on google maps aerial view you can pick it out. It's near Avenue 60 and Monterey Road, street names are Milford and Lomitas. Nice homes and a good example of an infill project. The same developer owns property in the Elephant Hills area off of Collis, above Kendall Avenue. He's been trying for years to get this property developed into a similar tract of homes. I think they were very close to starting construction before the current housing market crash.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:31 PM

14 posts, read 34,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
I live a couple of blocks from the development, if you look on google maps aerial view you can pick it out. It's near Avenue 60 and Monterey Road, street names are Milford and Lomitas. Nice homes and a good example of an infill project. The same developer owns property in the Elephant Hills area off of Collis, above Kendall Avenue. He's been trying for years to get this property developed into a similar tract of homes. I think they were very close to starting construction before the current housing market crash.
I looked at the Hermon houses he mentioned and it's pretty much fits the bill. I'll continue to look some more though. Thanks guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles