Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 12,050 times

Advertisements

I've been considering moving to L.A. but I've heard so many negative things about the people there. I like to experience things for myself however, what are your opinions on moving to L.A.? I'm orginially from Houston and I live in New York City which I'm so over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Why Los Angeles? I think I would rather shoot myself..

Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moslaam View Post
what are your opinions on moving to L.A.?

How can LA benefit by you moving there?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
What kind of city do you like? I love LA, and think many of the stereotypes are just that - stereotypes. At the same time, a lot of people seem drawn to LA by some of those stereotypes, and they seem to be the ones who are the most unhappy. The LA economy is also really bad, so don't assume that you can easily get a job if you move there without one in hand.

For background, I don't live in LA currently, but we originally moved there after living in Washington, DC. It was a move for work, and I assumed I wouldn't like the city. (NYC is my dream city) Turned out I loved LA, and would be happily living there still if it weren't for yet another job transfer.

Wait a minute; I see you say "the people there." The people in LA are the same as people everywhere. Please don't tell me you're buying into the "everyone in LA is plastic and materialistic" stereotype, right?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Not in any particular way. I'm just interested in moving somewhere that culturally rich and where I can purse a graduate degree when I'm ready.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Yes, then LA is certainly culturally rich and has excellent graduate options.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:11 PM

No. I'm not buying into anything. I just don't hear positive things about Los Angeles from natives and from people who have visited. I highly doubt that "everyone in LA is plastic and materialistic" but I'm sure it's not a rarity. I enjoy living and experiencing different places. Hence the reason why I'm interested in LA. I live in NYC and I'm from Houston. People are different but you can find the same people everywhere.That is what makes every city unique. I'm sure true Los Angeleans feel that there are certain things that are culturally LA or So Cal.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 PM

The materialistic and shallow people are a pretty small percentage of the overall population, yet the media (and stereotypes) tends to focus on those people (tabloid fodder, for one thing). It's possible to find those people in LA (as in most cities, for that matter), but it's equally easy to ignore those people. They weren't a part of my daily reality. I don't think there is one dominant LA culture, although there is a strong Mexican and Asian influence. If you want huge diversity in every sense of the word you can certainly find it in LA, and at a much cheaper price tag than in NYC. LA has something for everyone, and it's a great place to spend a few years (or more) if you can make it work.

It sounds like you have a more realistic view of LA, which is good. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how many people post on the LA forum thinking that everyone in LA lives a lifestyle straight out of the Hills.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the people who watch the Hills weren't fans of Sanford and Son.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:19 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moslaam View Post
I just don't hear positive things about Los Angeles from natives and from people who have visited.
Well just remember over 4 million people live there and I bet 3 million of them are there by choice, that's alot of people who are there because they like it. I say block out the haters, their opinion won't apply to you. Everyone hates certain areas for whatever reasons. I say visit and make your own personal judgment.

Another reason you have heard so much negative lately is because the economy has dimmed their way of life. Instead of Starbucks everyday they gotta settle for home brewed etc etc. Times are tough everywhere, not just LA. I love Los Angeles despite the hate say on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles