Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalretouch View Post
The Westside tends to be a little frosty. When I used to drive into LA from the Valley, I could tell when I was in LA without even knowing. The amount of people wearing dark sunglasses immediately goes up, no eye contact between cars. The Valey is pretty friendly. So I don't know about superficial, but here's the one thing that's true that makes people think that (right or wrong) Angelenos seem to have no opinions. About anything. Opinions are dangerous and may burn a bridge, and everyone is so political that a certain genre of person never voices their opinions. I'm an East Coast transplant and always somehow end up friends with the same. I think we find each. Somebody hears someone say something definitive and opinionated and it warms our souls. LOL.
Interesting. You're probably right. I'm also a transplant (from Chicago suburbs originally) and I consider this to be a top reason why I like living here. I prefer political correctness as I'm a highly sensitive individual about these things.

For example; back in Chicagoland, people are generally much more quick to call this "ghetto" or that place "ghetto" than what I've noticed here. Back home, while others would describe this area or neighborhood as a place to get shot, I would be more likely to describe the same area as "troubled" or "low income" and then NOT flat out say "I wouldn't live there if you paid me". I want to make sure people know that I'm not stereotyping minorities as dangerous, and that I'm also not being a socioeconomic snob because I'm aware of the reasons and connections as to why a place has higher crime, and then assume its a given that I wouldn't live there,

back home, people would be confused as to what I am trying to say and communicate, whereas in SoCal this seems to be more common. Places known for more polarized, judgemental political views are places I try to actively avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Interesting. You're probably right. I'm also a transplant (from Chicago suburbs originally) and I consider this to be a top reason why I like living here. I prefer political correctness as I'm a highly sensitive individual about these things.

For example; back in Chicagoland, people are generally much more quick to call this "ghetto" or that place "ghetto" than what I've noticed here. Back home, while others would describe this area or neighborhood as a place to get shot, I would be more likely to describe the same area as "troubled" or "low income" and then NOT flat out say "I wouldn't live there if you paid me". I want to make sure people know that I'm not stereotyping minorities as dangerous, and that I'm also not being a socioeconomic snob because I'm aware of the reasons and connections as to why a place has higher crime, and then assume its a given that I wouldn't live there,

back home, people would be confused as to what I am trying to say and communicate, whereas in SoCal this seems to be more common. Places known for more polarized, judgemental political views are places I try to actively avoid.
I also think, and just the way I was raised...that talking politics to somebody you don't know is just rude. I guess this is in the sphere of political correctness, but I just don't like talking about that stuff with people. I also don't like talking about religion or money with people either, I find a lot of people in LA are like this as well. I also find it annoying how opinionated people seem to think they know the answer to things that are not crystal clear. I don't care if you are a devote christian or an atheist, the correct answer has never been proven so stop acting like you know the truth. Likewise, I don't care If you think you know the answer to every social problem or economic problem. The truth is is that the answer is always maybe. People don't seem to understand that.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Yeah , I think of myself as being the same. I'm probably overly cautious of offending people .

I know someone that happens to be from the East Coast area and is super loud and opinionated. I've seen this person call areas ghetto that don't even look ghetto. These are not areas in L.A but out of state..

The sad part is that if someone finds out there are minorities living in an area in large numbers it will automatically get labelled ghetto.

I often feel like this person doesn't get what I'm trying to say...or just doesn't want to listen because they are too busy talking or talking over other people.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
I also think, and just the way I was raised...that talking politics to somebody you don't know is just rude. I guess this is in the sphere of political correctness, but I just don't like talking about that stuff with people. I also don't like talking about religion or money with people either, I find a lot of people in LA are like this as well. I also find it annoying how opinionated people seem to think they know the answer to things that are no crystal clear. I don't care if you are a devote christian or an atheist, the correct answer has never been proven so stop acting like you know the truth.
Yup I agree! Also, certain people will through out opinions like facts but have nothing to back it up. I like to see proof instead.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I know what you mean. I grew up on the Westside and my family and I would always notice that nobody made eye contact or says hello, this is even people that you'd see multiple times that live on the same street.
As a matter of curiosity, were there ever times when you've greeted somebody and got snubbed?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I disagree that Angelinos don't seem to have opinions, Tex. Some of the spiciest people I've ever met in my life have been Angelinos. Whatever your definition is of Angelinos, that is. Downtown, the 'burbs, the Valley, Hollywood, SGV, etc...?

Not being rude or loud or angry and/or not disagreeing aggressively with someone when you KNOW you're not going to change that person's mind and you just really want to have a good day doesn't mean a person doesn't have an opinion. And avoiding a trigger topic doesn't mean non-opinionated either. It means the person doesn't feel like getting into a brawl. That is a personal choice. Smart people realize that you can talk 'til you're blue in the face with "your opinion" and even scream that opinion into someone's face but none of that will change the other person's own opinions, and it only ruins two days (yours and theirs), so what exactly was accomplished there? And how is it superficial or mean that the person doesn't have anything going on in his/her head?

I lean left (not far left, but left-ish) and I can't tell you how many nasty, snarly, cruel, sarcastic, accusatory ("you're trying to kill America") posts I've seen on Facebook about Dems and "lefties." (Apparently they're one and the same now, no matter what.) My question (in my head) is always this: Whom is that serving? Do you really think you're going to change my mind by "telling it like it is" (actually, it isn't, but that seems to be beside the point)? "Oh wait, this person has let me know I'm a borderline-IQ, lazy, careless, pansy-azz, weak, America-hating moron. Now THAT makes me see the light! Gonna go re-register GOP." Erm...not so much.

Coming from the northeast, people always used to say "Everybody says we're rude, but we just tell it like it is!" as if there were some sort of badge of valor or something. I often found that to be a cover for wanting to be aggressive. I speak from 38 years experience. I'm not saying people from the northeast are terrible people. I love many many people in the northeast. <3 But really, why does having a personality or an opinion mean being a jerk? That's not real opinion or personality either, that's just being aggressive because you're having a bad day.

You know what my mother used to tell me when some soccer mom screeched up next to me in her car for not having let her pass, gave me the finger, jabbing it several times in the air for emphasis, and literally screamed (I do mean screamed...this is a true story and actually similar things happened at other times with slightly different details) in a non-stop rush at me out her widow, including liberal use of the F-bomb, WITH HER KIDS IN THE CAR, and I was nearly in tears? "Well, you've always been too sensitive. You need to toughen up,"

Yeah. Being rude is having opinions and being intelligent, being polite means you're just vanilla. That really IS the attitude, and I'm sure not just for the NYC tri-state area. I am sure it happens in some other areas too. I disagree. I'm sorry but I do. Being louder doesn't mean you're a better person with a more solid personality, and "non-superficial". And being polite doesn't mean there's nothing going on in your head. Who on earth made up that rule?

Again, not disrespecting NJ/NYC. But sometimes things like this can be a matter of perspective. I don't see someone as less superficial simply because he's loud and angry. I definitely HAVE noticed a lot more politeness out here. And I very quickly lost the whole ingrained "if people are polite and don't jab their opinions in your face, they're superficial" attitude when I realized they were being nice because...well, they were nice.

Quick funny: When we first moved here I took our son for a walk (he was in his stroller). I came back and said to my husband (who was born and raised in SoCal), "Oh my gosh. This was so weird...everybody we passed smiled and waved and said hi to us...I mean EVERY person. Even the kids! They were all smiling and waving and they don't even know us. It was creepy." And he said, "Only somebody from New Jersey could possibly think being friendly was creepy." Touche, LOL.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-16-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 PM

p.s. Jeez, sorry for the rant, people. Hope it was applicable to the thread, I may have veered off from the original "superficiality" intent of the thread and into rudeness.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
As a matter of curiosity, were there ever times when you've greeted somebody and got snubbed?
Yup , how about you ?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM

311 posts, read 492,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Being a native of L.A., I remember growing up when people speak to each other, even when a person walks down the sidewalk.

Today, a person can greet to a person out of respect, and they can give them wierd looks at times, Not all, but many.

It is important to note that this type of behavior is not exclusive to L.A., but as a society at large, humans are mostly disconnected from each other.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
Being a native of L.A., I remember growing up when people speak to each other, even when a person walks down the sidewalk.

Today, a person can greet to a person out of respect, and they can give them wierd looks at times, Not all, but many.

It is important to note that this type of behavior is not exclusive to L.A., but as a society at large, humans are mostly disconnected from each other.
Could it be where you are, specifically?

Out here in the 'burbs, every person I pass on the street smiles, nods and says hello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles