Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Drive to Santa Ana and just have a look around. Then drive to Laguna beach and have a look around. The difference is night and day just looking at the neighborhoods, I think it's self explanatory. One is overwhelmingly Latino, one is overwhelmingly Caucasian. One is one of the dirtiest least attractive looking cities in OC, one is beautiful. One has the highest violent crime rate in the OC, one has the lowest. I don't think it's racist at all if someone prefers to live in a clean, beautiful, safe neighborhood around people they might have more in common with and can communicate better with. Sorry if you do.
If the ethnicities were switched, but the socioeconomic situation was the same, I don't think the cities would be that much different.

Say that Santa Ana was majority non-Latino white but economically was just as poor and working class. Say that Laguna was majority Latino but just as well off. The cities would be pretty similar to how they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 PM

517 posts, read 1,703,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Can't we all just get along?
Apparently not, thanks to people like you.

Here's a suggestion, just leave people be. Forget history and judge people on the here and now. Don't excuse prejudice because 100 years ago something bad happened. That's how WWI and WWII started. Germans felt they had been wronged, and felt justified in "fighting back". This feeling of injustice is a classic cause of conflict, and it's manipulated by leaders. Let it go.

If Koreans want to live in Korea Town, hispanics want to live in Compton and whites want to live in OC how about we just LEAVE THEM ALONE to get on with their lives. Then just maybe "we can all get along".

/rant

Old 06-27-2014, 08:09 PM

150 posts, read 281,577 times
I wouldn't mind living at the Essex Skyline at MacArthur Place in Santa Ana. And there are quite a few million dollar houses for sale. I guess my point is that it is also to generalize about "city name". People prejudge because they have seen less beautiful areas. And on the issue of crime Santa Ana is much safer than many places I have been. It doesn't even come up on a list of the 100 most dangerous cities in America.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:42 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,536,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If the ethnicities were switched, but the socioeconomic situation was the same, I don't think the cities would be that much different.

Say that Santa Ana was majority non-Latino white but economically was just as poor and working class. Say that Laguna was majority Latino but just as well off. The cities would be pretty similar to how they are now.
..and here we go, right on cue. Yes, Hispanics commit twice the amount of violent crime as Caucasians and Asians combined because so many of them are poor right? They have no choice but to turn to drugs, gangs and a life of crime because they have no money and can't afford higher education right? Please. Such an old and tired excuse. Plenty of white people live below the poverty line too.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:06 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,661,125 times
...and here we go, right on cue. The racists show their true colors.

Anyways, I just moved to less than a month ago. I would rather live in some areas of LA (Pasadena area mainly) but would also rather live in Orange than LOTS of places in LA (the Valley, Bell Gardens, Montebello, etc).

Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
...and here we go, right on cue. The racists show their true colors.
Sorry but nothing I've said is racist, everything I've said is true and can be backed up by statistics. I'm still waiting for a better answer then a weak, old "it's because they are poor" excuse. Oh and I'm not white either by the way, I'm Spanish, Mexican and Italian.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Sorry but nothing I've said is racist, everything I've said is true and can be backed up by statistics. I'm still waiting for a better answer then a weak, old "it's because they are poor" excuse. Oh and I'm not white either by the way, I'm Spanish and Italian.
Come again? How is that not white? What are you claiming to be then?

Just so you can stop with your racist rants.

Quote:
The theory underlying the structural explanations for variation in homicide rates suggests that if white Americans were subjected to the same social pressures and structural disadvantages faced by minority populations, they would exhibit correspondingly high rates of homicide (Krivo and Peterson 2000; Sampson and Wilson 1995). Whites exhibit lower homicide rates than other racial groups because levels of structural disadvantage for whites generally do not approach the high levels found among minority populations.
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~roos/Cou...llipssp802.pdf

Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Come again? How is that not white?

You don't know the difference between Hispanic and Caucasian or non Hispanic white? Have you ever seen a Census sheet? I can assure you they are two very different things.

Last edited by dexter14; 06-28-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM

Yeah all those Hispanics in Barcelona and Florence

Seriously, stop embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
The term commonly applies to countries once colonized by Spain, particularly the countries of Latin America that were colonized by Spain.
Quote:
The U.S. Government has defined Hispanic or Latino persons as being "persons who trace their origin or descent to Mexico, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Central and South America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispanic

Old 06-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Oh, studies from the 90s. Because we all know studies from 20 years ago apply to today's society right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles