Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 PM

42 posts, read 221,217 times

Advertisements

We recently started a master bath remodel. We did not move any plumbing and just basically re-did the shower, made the door smaller from 32" to 30" and installed a new vanity. Our contractor said we did not need a building permit, but we took one out anyway to be safe. Well it has turned out to be a nightmare, the City Inspector is finding fault with every small thing and it is taking weeks to complete a 1 week job.

We are thinking of just abandoning the permit and just completing the job without the permit and not call the Inspector back. I understand that our only problem would be that we would get a $400 fine if a neighbor complains to the city, which I am happy to pay. Does anyone know if this is correct? I certainly don't want to have to do anything in a few months time, so the City can check the work.

Also would it cause problems when we sell in a few years, if we took the permit out and never completed it (as long as all the work is up to code)?

I certainly appreciate any advice which anyone may be able to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,905,912 times
Anything that is not permitted or up to code must be disclosed when you sell the property. You would then be compelled to pay for the upgrade to code, as well as city fines. If you don't disclose them, you would be open to a lawsuit and liable for any losses incurred by the purchasing party. The city inspector is not holding things up. Your contractor is holding things up by not completing the work to code. Your choice, pay now or pay later.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,709,358 times
My impression is that L.A. is a nightmare when it comes to permits for altering your home. I wouldn't be surprised if over half of the houses in L.A. violate codes in some way.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM

689 posts, read 2,584,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
The city inspector is not holding things up. Your contractor is holding things up by not completing the work to code. Your choice, pay now or pay later.
I agree with this. Your problem now is that you have an open permit that shows some work completed but the project not finished. This will not just go away if you decide to not call the inspector back. If you or another owner wants to alter the house in the future the building department will want to see the bathroom project.

You did the right thing by insisting on getting a permit. Now make your contractor work for his money and get the project completed correctly.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:18 PM

8,587 posts, read 11,018,090 times
Something else to consider;
If God forbid, there is a fire in your house, your insurance company will investigate if any recent alterations to the house were made, and if they were done with permits.
If they find work was not up to code, you can kiss any re-embersment good-bye.
Just an idea here, if you have cable or satelite, you might want to watch HGTV and in particular, "Income property"
They do some pretty expansive remodels and ALWAYS show the importance of getting permts.
Bob.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,513,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie894 View Post
We recently started a master bath remodel. We did not move any plumbing and just basically re-did the shower, made the door smaller from 32" to 30" and installed a new vanity. Our contractor said we did not need a building permit, but we took one out anyway to be safe. Well it has turned out to be a nightmare, the City Inspector is finding fault with every small thing and it is taking weeks to complete a 1 week job.

We are thinking of just abandoning the permit and just completing the job without the permit and not call the Inspector back. I understand that our only problem would be that we would get a $400 fine if a neighbor complains to the city, which I am happy to pay. Does anyone know if this is correct? I certainly don't want to have to do anything in a few months time, so the City can check the work.

Also would it cause problems when we sell in a few years, if we took the permit out and never completed it (as long as all the work is up to code)?

I certainly appreciate any advice which anyone may be able to give.

You have to see it through. They will hound you slowly but surely for years.

Have the contractor work with the inspector and do what he wants so it gets done correctly. Usually the inspectors are pretty easy going if the contractor knows his trade and the code.

The next time you want to do some small home improvement you will remember...... : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles