Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,431 times

Advertisements

what exactly is that black soot that I have to sweep every single day on my deck and that filters in through the doors and cracks? I mean, I've heard of LA smog and such, but seriously folks, I've never seen the likes of this. I figured my plants all died because of the move, and that they will revive once they adjust, but now I have my doubts. This is crazy. So much for the open doors and gentle breezes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
That appears to be the result of a point source of pollution located nearby as opposed to smog.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Do you live really close to a freeway? I used to and got what we called "sticky dust". Which was black. The totally cool thing about it was you could set out nick-nacks, wait for the sticky dust to accumulate and when an earthquake hit nothing would fall off the shelves. (Yeah, I always look for the bright side of things.)

Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Never have a problem like that unless there is a forest/brush fire. Could be you live near a freeway or factory or something that produces a lot of soot

Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
what exactly is that black soot that I have to sweep every single day on my deck and that filters in through the doors and cracks? I mean, I've heard of LA smog and such, but seriously folks, I've never seen the likes of this. I figured my plants all died because of the move, and that they will revive once they adjust, but now I have my doubts. This is crazy. So much for the open doors and gentle breezes...
Ha, You live in Los Angeles smog, grime gangs and crime is just the LA way.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM

689 posts, read 2,582,389 times
With the dry weather and winds recently there has been a lot of dust from the recent fires in the San Gabriel Mountains. If you live in the San Fernando or San Gabriel valleys this is the most like source, other than the typical dusty conditions in this desert.

See a brown haze above L.A.? It's dust, not fire | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,274,431 times
MIKEETC, thanks, that got me on the horn, there happens to be a crematory close by (gross), I'm awaiting a call back from them, could it be? Surely by today's standards, filtering has to go through some type of safe process. But then again....
DewDropInn, the freeway is not so close. You're funny. Things shaked, rattled and rolled in San Fran...I've yet to feel the earth move here...
It's just so much everyday, it really amazes and makes me more curious...

"could I be sweeping everybody under the rug?"

Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you live really close to a freeway? I used to and got what we called "sticky dust". Which was black. The totally cool thing about it was you could set out nick-nacks, wait for the sticky dust to accumulate and when an earthquake hit nothing would fall off the shelves. (Yeah, I always look for the bright side of things.)
I think that sticky dust is actually powdered vehicle tires. I once read that if you lived within one mile of a freeway for (something like, I forgot) seven years you will have inhaled a tire.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
MIKEETC, thanks, that got me on the horn, there happens to be a crematory close by (gross), I'm awaiting a call back from them, could it be? Surely by today's standards, filtering has to go through some type of safe process. But then again....
DewDropInn, the freeway is not so close. You're funny. Things shaked, rattled and rolled in San Fran...I've yet to feel the earth move here...
It's just so much everyday, it really amazes and makes me more curious...

"could I be sweeping everybody under the rug?"
Contact the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) - don't bother with the potential violator. The AQMD will send an inspector to investigate and cite the facility for any applicable violations, make them correct the problem, and in the meantime (if necessary), have the violator cease operations.

South Coast AQMD

Old 12-02-2009, 12:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I live 2 blocks off the 10 and the heavily traveled double-tracked freight rails next to it, and never have a problem with black soot. Like MIKEETC said, look for a local source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles