Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2009, 07:08 PM

24 posts, read 53,717 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've never been to Mt. Wilson in general but somebody told me there's a really neat observatory that is better than Griffith Park one and I would really love to try and make it up there one of these times for fun

I was curious when would be the best time to visit Mt. Wilson Observatory. I have a 2 seat roadster with no chains so I would need to go when there's no snow.

Also are the roads fairly safe to the location?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I haven't been there for a few years (and before the fire, so I don't know if that's changed anything), but I believe it's closed for visitors from December through March. It is worth the visit, but only if you don't mind scary winding roads! I've only been there in the summer, but it was great. There are picnic tables, too, so consider bringing a lunch. Otherwise there's a place called Newcomb's Ranch that offers casual food and drinks. It's a fun place, right on the highway.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:33 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
You might also want to check out Palomar Observatory on the way to San Diego

Caltech Astronomy : Visiting Palomar Observatory

and also Big Bear Solar Observatory

Big Bear Solar Observatory

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM

352 posts, read 482,879 times
The Observatory up there at Mt Wilson is pretty amazing, as is the view of everything too ! Dunno if the road up there is open though, they reopened it about Nov 30th (approx) but then closed it soon after since we were expecting heavy rains . Worth a shot , try going up there ! Worst thing they can tell you is to turn around

Old 12-25-2009, 02:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,891 times
It's been years since I've made the drive so my experience may not be current.

The drive on Angeles Crest Highway is windy and fun. Then you will have to turn onto Mt. Wilson Rd. which is very tight and can be a workout if you don't have power steering. Dangers include driving off the side, hitting an oncoming vehicle, rocks which can fall onto the road (I've seen little piles with the largest rock the size of softball or football) and animals.

I've only driven at night (so I've never seen the observatory open) with the logic that there is less traffic and I get advanced warning of oncoming vehicles by their headlights. I have seen deer standing in the middle of the road but I was able to stop without hitting them. I did hit a racoon which darted out and the impact shattered one of my driving lights.

There are many places along the way to turn off and check out the view of the L.A. basin although the most spectacular is when you reach the observatory/transmitters--it is just stunning.

As others have mentioned, there may be closures due to snow and rain induced slides.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:57 PM

22 posts, read 45,498 times
Pick the clearest night you can find, usually best after a winter rain storm has cleared out of the area and the sky is crystal clear. The view of the lights is amazing! It truly looks like a sea of lights. Best view is just below the CBS antenna, the tallest one on the hill. There is room to park and a place to walk out and get a great view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles