Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 02:47 PM

11 posts, read 21,515 times

Advertisements

I put local in quote because really I'll be moving to Los Gatos with my aunt and using her residence whilst looking for a job in LA.

After reading all the posts on the forums I know that I'll never get a job living in Boston trying to get one in LA. But I also don't want to lie using her address and not actually living there.

So I'm saving up at least 6K but hopefully 10K by Sept or which ever comes first, heading to Los Gatos, and then sending out resumes.

But my question is this: Are the companies still gonna be extremely picky even though I'm actually in the state but up north as opposed to local?

Because absolutely no one has contacted me since December with my MA address, even though I stated that I would be relocating on my own dime on my cover letter and resume.

But I didn't want to be silly enough to move without a job, but they're so scarce, theres no alternative for me but to save up and dive in!

The plan was to stay with my aunt for a month or so, send in resumes, and drive down on the weekends and find me a place to live in Northridge, or Burbank; a local address. Not to mention, that if I needed to go to an interview the next day, I have a car, that I could drive in 6 hrs.

Or should I just stay with my aunt for two weeks, find a place to live, and then start sending out resumes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
Los Gatos and LA are about as far from eachother as Boston and DC, if not further. having CA on your resume may be some help, but your still not a local candidate by any means. the bay area is nice, why not look for a job up there?

Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Because I'm looking for a job at the studios, trying to get into film.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM

132 posts, read 364,675 times
Why not rent a post office box in L.A.? You can get your mail forwarded to you. Employers won't write to you anyway, they'll call, so it won't be slowing you down any.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 AM

OK, and if/when they call and ask about my former places of employment, I'm just afraid they'll realize I'm still in Boston, and just using a PO Box to garner interest.

And if they don't realize that and I happen to get called in for an interview, I have the means to fly out from Boston, but I'd rather be a 6hr drive than a 6 hour flight.

Plus there's no one in my family in the LA area to open a box for me, unless there's another way of doing so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles