Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

I just got a job working at a gas station in Compton. I don't want to say which one, but it's along Rosecrans not far from the 110. I didn't want to take this job but I've gotten desparate to the point that I am worried about losing my apartment. The first time I had ever been to Compton was for the job interview. I've heard lots of stuff about gangs, etc. but I don't know how much of that is media hype. I should mention that I am black, but I grew up in an upper middle class family and the majority of kids that I went to school with were white. I haven't had much contact with gangs or ghetto culture. The manager didn't really say much about the area and when I asked him how dangerous it was he just said something about keeping my head down and if there was any trouble to call the police.

I am pretty social and can get along with all types of people. But I sometimes have a problem with my temper. I never mess with anyone, but if somebody tries to mess with me I have a hard time backing down. I guess it's a pride thing. I'm pretty short and don't look imposing, so I think that makes me a target for hardcore a**holes looking to push somebody around. I've even gotten into a fight since I came to LA (been here about 3 yrs), strangely at a gas station lol. So I'm wondering what I'm getting into working in this area. Are the gangs going to harrass me or just basically ignore me because I'm not a gang member myself? Obviously I'm not looking to get shot or make enemies with a gang or anything, I'm just worried about what I'll do if someone really gets in my face. It really takes a LOT for me to get physical, but it just always seems like if the other guy is intent on proving something that the situation just keeps escalating because I can't turn the other cheek.

I would appreciate any survival tips from folks familiar with the area. I'm going to be stuck at this job for at least a while until I can find something else. It really isn't an option to turn it down at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:25 PM

109 posts, read 302,989 times
i haven't been on rosecrans in compton but i've been on roasecrans in gardena. i haven't had trouble near there but i just drive by. does the gas station you work at have bullet proof windows? it would be best to back down and not pick fights. you never know if they're armed.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdavis View Post
i just got a job working at a gas station in compton. I don't want to say which one, but it's along rosecrans not far from the 110. I didn't want to take this job but i've gotten desparate to the point that i am worried about losing my apartment. The first time i had ever been to compton was for the job interview. I've heard lots of stuff about gangs, etc. But i don't know how much of that is media hype. I should mention that i am black, but i grew up in an upper middle class family and the majority of kids that i went to school with were white. I haven't had much contact with gangs or ghetto culture. The manager didn't really say much about the area and when i asked him how dangerous it was he just said something about keeping my head down and if there was any trouble to call the police.

I am pretty social and can get along with all types of people. But i sometimes have a problem with my temper. I never mess with anyone, but if somebody tries to mess with me i have a hard time backing down. I guess it's a pride thing. I'm pretty short and don't look imposing, so i think that makes me a target for hardcore a**holes looking to push somebody around. I've even gotten into a fight since i came to la (been here about 3 yrs), strangely at a gas station lol. So i'm wondering what i'm getting into working in this area. Are the gangs going to harrass me or just basically ignore me because i'm not a gang member myself? Obviously i'm not looking to get shot or make enemies with a gang or anything, i'm just worried about what i'll do if someone really gets in my face. It really takes a lot for me to get physical, but it just always seems like if the other guy is intent on proving something that the situation just keeps escalating because i can't turn the other cheek.

I would appreciate any survival tips from folks familiar with the area. I'm going to be stuck at this job for at least a while until i can find something else. It really isn't an option to turn it down at this point.
lol.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
having a temper in this part of town will get you in trouble. humble yourself and let it roll off your back. the danger in your job comes more from the occupation itself than the area. gas stations get jacked all the time. all over the city. particularly at night. just be friendly and it should be ok. the gang stuff... its hyped up. they look to bother other gang members. except if you look like one, be ready to get treated like one.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,243 times
Thanks for the responses so far.

Believe you me, the last thing I want is a fight anywhere I go. I'm really not a hothead and don't think I'm a tough guy or anything. Maybe it seemed like that from my first post. There have been a lot of times in my past when I have been able to just let things go. When some dude confronts, my first reaction is usually just not to react at first. Inside I'm pissed, but I try not to reveal anything. I don't run away, I just don't respond. Often nothing else happens and that's that. Like if someone yells something at me from a passing car or something, I just act like I didn't hear it. The times when things have gone south is when the other guy is one of these ultimate badasses or is crazy or an ex-con or who knows what. These are the guys that you can immediately tell something's seriously wrong with them the second you set eyes on them. I don't get why I'm such a magnet for these types. One of my friends was saying to me the other day that it's crazy that I always have these problems because I'm the most laid back guy he knows.

I will mostly be in a mini mart and I think there is bullet proof glass around the area where the cashiers are, so I probably won't get killed while I'm giving somebody change at least lol. Of course there will be times when I'll be out in the parking lot or around other parts of the store, etc. Good point about the occupation being dangerous. Luckily I don't have the night shift. I don't think I look like a gang member, though I am sporting the corn rows. I start on Monday, we'll see how it goes.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,682 times
I am white and worked in Compton for years. It is one of the best communities I've ever worked in. Same rules of the street apply in Compton like any other city. Act like a punk you'll get punked. Be cool, confident and treat people with respect and they'll do the same. I had M Street protecting me and my business for no reason other than concern. There are times when things go down but if you make nice and people like you in the community you will get some warning and protection. I would work there again in a heart beat. I got tons of.... nm

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM

I worked on Rosecrans and Long Beach Blvd by the way.... M ST. PIRU Shout out from B-Dub. CPTC Shout out as well! Yeah, I had both sides in the shop at the same time getting repairs and conversing with no color lines, no Red/Blue nastiness, no East Side, West Side, Strong Side barriers... they didn't want to hang out after but they respected me enough to keep it civil. Don't let the media determine your perception of Compton!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 PM

Default Stand your ground, don't get pushed around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdavis View Post
I just got a job working at a gas station in Compton. I don't want to say which one, but it's along Rosecrans not far from the 110. I didn't want to take this job but I've gotten desparate to the point that I am worried about losing my apartment. The first time I had ever been to Compton was for the job interview. I've heard lots of stuff about gangs, etc. but I don't know how much of that is media hype. I should mention that I am black, but I grew up in an upper middle class family and the majority of kids that I went to school with were white. I haven't had much contact with gangs or ghetto culture. The manager didn't really say much about the area and when I asked him how dangerous it was he just said something about keeping my head down and if there was any trouble to call the police.

I am pretty social and can get along with all types of people. But I sometimes have a problem with my temper. I never mess with anyone, but if somebody tries to mess with me I have a hard time backing down. I guess it's a pride thing. I'm pretty short and don't look imposing, so I think that makes me a target for hardcore a**holes looking to push somebody around. I've even gotten into a fight since I came to LA (been here about 3 yrs), strangely at a gas station lol. So I'm wondering what I'm getting into working in this area. Are the gangs going to harrass me or just basically ignore me because I'm not a gang member myself? Obviously I'm not looking to get shot or make enemies with a gang or anything, I'm just worried about what I'll do if someone really gets in my face. It really takes a LOT for me to get physical, but it just always seems like if the other guy is intent on proving something that the situation just keeps escalating because I can't turn the other cheek.

I would appreciate any survival tips from folks familiar with the area. I'm going to be stuck at this job for at least a while until I can find something else. It really isn't an option to turn it down at this point.
If somebody comes at you the wrong way let them know it. They will threaten you and say they're gonna get their boys and it's gonna be on and you better watch your back and yadda yadda yadda.... those are the ones you have the least to worry about. They are all hot air, don't back down. Stand up to them and tell them if they come back they better come back heavy! They'll eventually probably even calm down and do a whatever or even apologize. It's the quiet ones that smile that you don't want to **** off. There are dudes in tha CPT that have this vibe like "I'm cool if you're cool but don't test me." and when you get that vibe DON'T! Trust your instincts. Damn, you are black and worried... the media got you. I am white, had the same concerns when I started there but there was no question about whether I was white or black, or whatever and in the end it didn't even matter. I had just as much of nothing to worry about as you do. I would have the same concern working a gas station in Compton as in Beverly Hills. I still go back through the city with all the windows down bumpin' some Aesop Rock, Grieves, MURS, etc and I have a nice ride, I make a good living and I am still white. All windows down, 30 miles an hour from the 105 down Long Beach Blvd to tha LBC bumpin' all the way, tossin' a neck snap at the girlies, looking for the boys from back in the day. Still a blast. However one thing that I didn't like was I did make friends and the life span of a Compton male in a gang isn't the same as your white buddies in Suburbia. I lost a few friends and it hurt....

Old 05-18-2012, 11:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Advice: 1) assume that everyone is packing and 2) your life is worth more than whatever's in the cash register.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles