Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:43 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times

Advertisements

Aja Brown: Compton is The New Brooklyn - CityThink - Los Angeles magazine

This is interesting. I remember reading about Compton's new mayor , she sounds like she has a real passion for changing the area. Could be interesting to see what she does.

Brown’s bold prediction: Compton is the new Brooklyn. “We’re 15 minutes from downtown, the port, and LAX. We’re surrounded by freeways and have light and heavy rail and great institutions. My neighborhood is very mixed and hip—we’re ready to have a renaissance.”

Not sure about the idea of being "15 minutes to downtown though"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 12:46 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,645 times
This actually makes sense - but it also makes sense for a lot of other historically depressed, troubled, or denigrated communities. It's true about the location and Compton (from my limited visits in the past five years) has changed from the NWA 1990s Compton. Not far away is CSUDH, the soccer stadium, and a lot of industry including the (soon closing though) Northrop Grumman. I think both the Green Line and the Blue Line run through or near there.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:48 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
She needs to add 10 minutes to that. For a 2am trip with no accidents or roadwork.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,196,022 times
I would say about 20 minutes without heavy traffic to all these areas, which is still pretty great. I hope she does good things for Compton.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

I don't know Compton well at all honestly, but it seems to be mostly residential or industrial with little retail .

It seems that it would need some redevelopment of industrial or residential areas in order to become more appealing?

I don't think of it as an area like Echo Park or Brooklyn that had a lot of existing retail relatively speaking and didn't need big redevelopment projects in order to gentrify.

Being their own city they could be a lot more 'lean and mean' and make deals with companies. I also imagine they could give more generous tax breaks.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:13 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't know Compton well at all honestly, but it seems to be mostly residential or industrial with little retail .

It seems that it would need some redevelopment of industrial or residential areas in order to become more appealing?

I don't think of it as an area like Echo Park or Brooklyn that had a lot of existing retail relatively speaking and didn't need big redevelopment projects in order to gentrify.

Being their own city they could be a lot more 'lean and mean' and make deals with companies. I also imagine they could give more generous tax breaks.
It's good that the mayor is thinking big, but there is no way that Compton is the next Brooklyn. They really are not similar other than those vague things she described. I think Compton can improve and be a decent place for the middle class - but I have a hard time believing it will ever be a "hot" or trendy real estate market.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
So does that mean a big, rusty arena is going to be built in Compton soon?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Echo Park wasn't really hot or trendy either, and that was only like 15-20 years ago (basically for as long I can remember/understand that neighborhood). Only my poorest and most under-privileged friends lived in Echo Park... the middle-class ones lived in Los Feliz and Silver Lake.

I am still fascinated how Echo Park went from a gangster barrio to hipsterville--because no one back then really saw that coming.

I am sure Compton will see some kind of renaissance soon. Probably won't be all hipsterly, but it will see some gentrification in some way.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Good point, but Echo Park had a location closer to hipness versus Compton..being near Silverlake which has been hip quite a while.

Echo park already had existing venues and famous restaurants like Taix and music venues before it became hip right?

Do these places exist in Compton?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Good point, but Echo Park had a location closer to hipness versus Compton..being near Silverlake which has been hip quite a while.

Echo park already had existing venues and famous restaurants like Taix and music venues before it became hip right?

Do these places exist in Compton?
Yeah, exactly. Echo Park has an incredible location, just a few minutes from DTLA and Hollywood in either direction. Plus a unique geography, older housing stock, etc. which made it more prime for trendy gentrification.

But I do think Genjy is right that Compton will become a better place to live, and so may gentrify one way or another. But as I said before I think it will be more for family-oriented middle class people and not younger "hip" people - but really in the long run this is a good thing because the former tend to have more stake in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles