Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 PM

4 posts, read 6,229 times

Advertisements

HI all, first time poster here, please take pity on the n00b!

A little background: I currently live in Tokyo (Japan) but am moving to the LA area at the beginning of July. I am a university professor, and will be looking for work once I get there. My wife and I have enough money to live for a year off savings, so I hope we can each find something by then.

Now, we have to choose where to stay while we job hunt. Since I don’t know where we’ll end up, I am thinking a monthly lease, and would really like to spend 1,600 or so monthly (including utilities). My wife is Japanese, so she’s used to walking instead of driving, and we want a safe area. We’re in our 30’s, like a quiet(ish) walkable place, don’t party or go out a ton.

So far, we’ve found Torrance and Santa Monica attractive, but have no idea about what areas of these places are good.

Any advice? Is there a great little area we have missed?

Thank you all for any help you can offer!

-Tatsukun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,489 times
What field are you in?

Old 05-10-2010, 03:33 AM

274 posts, read 1,218,708 times
Tatsukun

I hope that you will love it heren and if you are coming from Japan- you will be one of the few peope who will actually find it relatively cheap here.

Santa Monica is lovely but you will pay more to be near the beach and your space will probably be smaller- but perhaps it is worth it for that whole beach novelty factor. Redonto Beach is also nice and you will get more space there than SM I hear.

It is all about the commute so I would try and live within a 3 0min car commute from your work.

I personally love south pasadena ( which has a thriving Asian population - i often see lots of Japanese people at the Huntington which is the most beautiful Botanical Gardens in that area)Pasadena is on the east side but this may be too far for you to commute. Glendale is also nice and affordable. I have seen places to rent in both these areas from 1500 and i actually saw a 2 bed place for 1200 in glendale recently but it probably was pretty basic inside. Add 30% to these prices for anything on the beach. I would love to live in santa monica myself.

I really wish you the best with your move- i am sure you will love it here!It is expensive but you get a great quality of life for the expense and it will not even compare to Japan!You will get lots more advice here from more experienced los angeleans- I am a newbie but I love it here- a great city to spend a few years in.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 6,229 times
Impala: I teach English as a second language

London: Thanks for the advice. We might decide to play it safe and find a cheaper (non-beach) area. I'll look into Glendale.

Thanks

-Tatsukun

Old 05-10-2010, 01:36 PM

30 posts, read 65,627 times
I second Londonteacher. I've found Pasadena to be a safe place that's still relatively close to Los Angeles. Although some main areas of Glendale are nice to be around, you'll run into the unsafe regions rather quickly. Downtown/Old Town Pasadena is perfect for walking and dining.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsukun View Post
Impala: I teach English as a second language

London: Thanks for the advice. We might decide to play it safe and find a cheaper (non-beach) area. I'll look into Glendale.

Thanks

-Tatsukun
If that was a joke, I have been mistaken about the Japanese sense of humor.
I guess you majored in Karaoke.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM

364 posts, read 991,389 times
Impala, as a fan of yours, I have to admit that I don't get what you are saying above.

Tatsukun - Glendale is OK but listen to London Teacher and Jessica and check out Pasadena first.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Impala, as a fan of yours, I have to admit that I don't get what you are saying above.

Tatsukun - Glendale is OK but listen to London Teacher and Jessica and check out Pasadena first.
This just shook my perception of the concept of “University Professor” as I have always understood it.
As in :- Academic Jobs EU - Professor in Chemical Engineering - Technical University of Denmark

Not as in :- TEFL courses online, TEFL/TESL Certificate, Teach English as a Foreign Language, CELTA certificate

Sorry for the sarcasm I just could not help myself.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
This just shook my perception of the concept of “University Professor” as I have always understood it.
As in :- Academic Jobs EU - Professor in Chemical Engineering - Technical University of Denmark

Not as in :- TEFL courses online, TEFL/TESL Certificate, Teach English as a Foreign Language, CELTA certificate

Sorry for the sarcasm I just could not help myself.

Actually most universities including the top universities have English as a second language courses. I also study Chemical Engineering, but let the other people be, not everyone chooses to be an Engineer.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Lots of Japanese reside in the part of town I live in, and you could easily find an apartment for the rental rate you are looking for. Check out the Sawtelle area... North of the 10 freeway, West of the 405 freeway, south of Wilshire, east of Bundy. Just north of the intersection of Sawtelle & Olympic there is a large amount of Japanese restaurants, markets, and shops, sometimes referred to as Little Osaka. You'll also be near to UCLA here in case you are interested in applying for a position there. We also have the West LA Buddhist Temple in our neighborhood, as well as the Japanese Institute of Sawtelle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles