Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Ah... you guys aren't giving me a lot of hope. Currently, I do work in entertainment marketing. However, I'm definitely NOT limiting my search to just entertainment marketing. I'm also looking for marketing agencies, advertising agencies, local companies that may need marketing help, etc.. I have a broad skill set that I think I can bring to the table and be able to do an awesome job...it's just a matter of finding the right fit.
The fields you mentioned aren't doing to well. I know a couple people who have been looking for work in those areas for the past 9 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
The fields you mentioned aren't doing to well. I know a couple people who have been looking for work in those areas for the past 9 months.
Yeah, but its not just California. They are likely to have the same trouble regardless of where they live.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 PM

787 posts, read 1,943,080 times
Quote:
Ah... you guys aren't giving me a lot of hope. Currently, I do work in entertainment marketing. However, I'm definitely NOT limiting my search to just entertainment marketing. I'm also looking for marketing agencies, advertising agencies, local companies that may need marketing help, etc.. I have a broad skill set that I think I can bring to the table and be able to do an awesome job...it's just a matter of finding the right fit.

I am probably stating the obvious but being in the city you want to work WILL MAKE YOUR SEARCH EASIER. That is true in a good or bad market. Of course, I am NOT saying it will be easy.

I am not in the entertainment field so I can't offer any specifics about that sector.

So it's a real catch 22....job market is tough so coming with no job is risky. Yet, moving here in person makes networking and in person interviews much easier. It's like you become a "real person" to prospective employers.

I was laid off in June 2008...BEFORE the financial crisis really tanked the economy. Unemployment was already on the rise in LA at that point and while there were some advertized positions I was NOT getting many interviews.

I got my current job (started in Sept. 08) by attending an industry event where I met my current boss. Would have NEVER got that interview (or job) had I not been there IN PERSON.

Just some food for thought to further complicate your decision. Best of luck.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah, but its not just California. They are likely to have the same trouble regardless of where they live.
Yea, but LA is exponentially more expensive than almost everywhere else in the USA. 10,000 in most cities, will be enough to tie you over for awhile while you try and find work. In LA, its not that much (I should know, thats how much I had when I came).

Old 06-02-2010, 11:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
So it's a real catch 22....job market is tough so coming with no job is risky. Yet, moving here in person makes networking and in person interviews much easier. It's like you become a "real person" to prospective employers.
Yup.

If you have some savings to live on and your friends have jobs...maybe they can help get you in somewhere...take a shot. My daughter is moving to LA next week after graduating from college. She has friends there and makes a good impression on people (employers) in person. She also doesn't want to come live back home with us and fall into familiar patterns that will lead her nowhere. It's better to take the risk, you can ALWAYS move again later if things don't work out.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 AM

40 posts, read 116,954 times
Quote:
Hello!
So, I'm relocating out to Southern California with a couple of friends this summer. We are all working professionals, and they both have jobs already lined up. I however, haven't seemed to land a gig yet... I've gotten lots of phone interviews, but no offers...

Everyone keeps telling me, "Don't go without a job lined up!" but I'm very confident with my skills and I know I'm capable of landing a job. (I'm not looking to make a big break into hollywood and I don't think I'll be some TV executive.)

So my question to you all, is the job market really all THAT bad? Are skilled professionals who have 3 - 5 years experience having trouble finding a job that pays the bills?

I have $10k cash saved, plus I'm not afraid to deliver pizzas or something at night while I interview for a job during the day. I feel if I went out there and had in person interviews, I would land a job within a couple of months.

Thoughts?
They are very bad right now...and you'll pay through the nose to live here...especially if you want to buy a home.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUNEMLA View Post
They are very bad right now...and you'll pay through the nose to live here...especially if you want to buy a home.
Not looking to buy, just rent.

I agree, it would be much easier to find a job when I was actually in the city. And, I am getting phone interviews when I’m not in the city, so I must be somewhat marketable, living so far away.

I seem to be getting some pretty mixed signals with this post…

Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 AM

40 posts, read 116,954 times
Quote:
Not looking to buy, just rent.

I agree, it would be much easier to find a job when I was actually in the city. And, I am getting phone interviews when I’m not in the city, so I must be somewhat marketable, living so far away.

I seem to be getting some pretty mixed signals with this post…
Well then just do it and find out what happens.

You posed a question and some people will answer with different results. But mixed signals or not, LA is expensive and the job market right now sucks in general for most people.

If you are getting phone interviews, then consider yourself lucky and hope you get to the next step.

What did you say you were coming here for again?

Best of luck.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM

927 posts, read 2,467,001 times
I’m coming from Minneapolis, Minnesota, land of the cold air…

Old 06-03-2010, 02:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
It's worth a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles