Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin5 View Post
Faifax, overall, is a safe area. Obviously, there will be some big-city crime, but basically nice. Canter's Deli is a great late night stop. Farmer's Market (not the Grove) is another charming spot, founded in 1934.
Right, the Grove is sort of stupid with the phony cable cars. The Americana in Glendale is the same thing since it was built by the same developer. Actually the cable car doesn't seem to bother me as much as the Americana because there is more space\ town square & apartments over the entire structure.

Farmer's Market is a taste of LA unlike any other area. The deli's on Fairfax & Ventura blvds are good but the sheer number of eateries at the Market can not be beat. It is better & bigger than the Grand Central market downtown. Eating outdoors year-round is a very LA thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbagman View Post
Its funny how areas change, way way back in 1974 , I was a then 14 year old boy living with his parents on Hayworth , between Melrose and Santa Monica Blvd, at that time, the area was "changing"
In 1974, Santa Monica and Hayworth would've been "changing" into Boys Town.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
In 1974, Santa Monica and Hayworth would've been "changing" into Boys Town.
That's accurate.
Today it is the worst of Russia.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
That's accurate.
Today it is the worst of Russia.
The worst of Russia would be a white Compton, and the area around SM & Fairfax is nothing like that at all.

SM & Hayworth is relatively safe. I have a friend who lives on Laurel near Romaine (ironically, in the same building that Phil Spector grew up in) and he's never had a problem over there. There aren't any problematic areas in Fairfax/WeHo west of Fairfax Ave. - I haven't even had any problems by Poinsettia Park (much closer to La Brea than Fairfax) although I know most of the violent crime in Fairfax occurs around there. (Mainly because being from L.A. I know very well one doesn't go into parks at night unless there's some event going on there). I have no problem with the Russians, they're generally "mind your own business" type people - the homeless can be a problem, but that's true pretty much everywhere in L.A. I have a friend who lives near SM and Crescent Heights (in the same apartment building Phil Spector grew up in, coincidentally) and he and his wife have never had a problem. Put it this way - I don't feel scared walking at night around there (with the precautions one would adhere to in any big city). When I do move back, I'd love to live over there. The areas patrolled by the sheriffs are safer than those patrolled by the LAPD, because the sheriffs aren't as strapped, and given that LAPD Hollywood Division contains far worse areas than Fairfax it does tend to be a lower priority for the LAPD.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:29 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
By worst of Russia I meant Russian mafia. West of fairfax is definitely the better part of weho, but the russian mafia operate there also. They are not into street crime. Their big things are putting waste oil in gasoline at their gas stations, prostitution, loan sharking, and the usual organized crime scams.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
By worst of Russia I meant Russian mafia. West of fairfax is definitely the better part of weho, but the russian mafia operate there also. They are not into street crime. Their big things are putting waste oil in gasoline at their gas stations, prostitution, loan sharking, and the usual organized crime scams.
It's no secret the Russian mob have a pretty big presence in Fairfax and WeHo and are very well established there. They're also in Beverly Hills next door in a big way, and have presences in many of the fancier areas of town.

However, unless you're already "involved" with the Russian mob you have practically no risk of running into any problems with them. As you said, they're not into street crime.

And their presence does help keep the neighborhood safe. Just ask anyone from NYC or the other eastern cities about "mob" areas having less street crime.

Last edited by majoun; 06-19-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles