Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:28 AM

13 posts, read 154,806 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are considering a move to Lafayette. We're form Philadelphia, we live downtown and love it.

How is life in Lafayette? Is there a downtown area with restaurants and little shops--an area you can walk around?

Also, Realtor.com doesn't show any properties in a "downtown" area. Do people live in the center of town, or is it more planned developments around town?

I've noticed real estate is incredibly high. Is this a post-Katrina phenonemom, the result of much relocation from New Orleans?

Thanks!!!
Genevieve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 35,311 times
Lafayette's downtown is a great part of town, shops, restaurants, bars & a lovely place for an evening walk. It's hard to find a place to live down there, but I would try, it would be worth it. There are several adjacent older neighborhoods that are within bicyling distance. New area currently being reinvigorated is between Simcoe and Congress near downtown. Good luck.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 PM

768 posts, read 4,385,915 times
There is a new condominium project going on in downtown Lafayette. I don't know much about it, but I'd recommend a quick search of condos in Lafayette on Google... surely you'll find it.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 154,806 times
Great, thanks.

We're going down for a job interview next week and we'll check it out

Old 11-03-2006, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 42,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are considering a move to Lafayette. We're form Philadelphia, we live downtown and love it.

How is life in Lafayette? Is there a downtown area with restaurants and little shops--an area you can walk around?

Also, Realtor.com doesn't show any properties in a "downtown" area. Do people live in the center of town, or is it more planned developments around town?

I've noticed real estate is incredibly high. Is this a post-Katrina phenonemom, the result of much relocation from New Orleans?

Thanks!!!
Genevieve
Don't do it!! If you're coming from a major metropolitan area like I did, you'll be in for a MAJOR disappointment, especially coming from the north. There's not much to do here by comparison, although I'm sure the locals would tell you otherwise. The problem is that most of them have never been anywhere enough to know the difference. It's hot. It's UGLY. It's boring. Seriously...if you're happy in downtown Philly then STAY! Lafayette, LA isn't where you want to be!

Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 PM

109 posts, read 365,242 times
Being a college town, the downtown area has quite a few bars, with many bands stopping by to play. I don't live there, but went downtown for a night of fun. The real estate is high because of hurricane Rita. It's not a good time to be a buyer.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 PM

11 posts, read 73,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacoonass View Post
Don't do it!! If you're coming from a major metropolitan area like I did, you'll be in for a MAJOR disappointment, especially coming from the north. There's not much to do here by comparison, although I'm sure the locals would tell you otherwise. The problem is that most of them have never been anywhere enough to know the difference. It's hot. It's UGLY. It's boring. Seriously...if you're happy in downtown Philly then STAY! Lafayette, LA isn't where you want to be!
Moderator cut: No personal attacks There are many things to do here. You just have to be a outdoors enthuasist. Many people here don't want to put up whith the chic fancy city living, and are much more down to earth (although I can point out numerous examples here in Baton Rouge). I lived in Tennessee for 10 years and there were just as many things to do there as there are to do here.

Finally, the north was a major dissapointment compared to the south. The people up there (Baltimore, Harrisburg) were snooty and mean. I would never live up north just for that reason.

Back to the original post. Lafayette is nice. There is a big music scene out there. Many country music bands come through the area and play at the Cajun Dome. There are may festivals, I believe they have the most festivals than any other city in the state (maybe the south). Food is great. Great football. Good schools. Finally, the hospitality here is great. Unlike some of the bigger cities in the state, Lafayette has kept their charm and sense of community. Give Lafayette a shot. It shouldn't be too big of a change for you. Who says change isn't good???? Best of luck to you.

Last edited by geaux; 11-16-2006 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 PM

3 posts, read 37,811 times
Regarding Lafayette and the rest of South Louisiana, my wife and I have several friends there (we live in North Louisiana). What you would think of it depends upon you. My wife and I often laugh about the fact that so many people we know come to our city as Air Force officers (and to other cities in Louisiana) and criticize the culture, the heat, the humidity, the different lifestyle... for two or three years and leave. And then, when they retire, THEY COME BACK. Think about it. Why do so many of them come back?
Let me give you a hint. First the differences may be a bit of a shock. But after a while it grows on you. There are no friendlier people anywhere.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 59,612 times
Here's my take on Lafayette. Born in Texas,I've lived over 40 years in Lafayette, so I feel as though I have the true Cajun Cowboy heritage. Lafayette is definitely a college town. UL,a junior college,a few trade schools, not to mention the distance between Lafayette UL and Baton Rouge LSU is around 55 miles so you can see it's definitely has it's share of the new generation. If one done a market analysis on Lafayette I think they would find that it is definitely inflated with it's share of resturants. Many towns in and around Lafayette have continue to support many of the cajun cultures of the south. From a negative aspect is Lafayette it is a wanna be town. It has always been a small town interlect with big town desires. I agree not big city, but big town dreams. It's getting there faster than the infastructure can keep up. Not a bad thing if it's done correctly. I'm definitely not an engineer nor a politican. What I call right in some's eyes may be wrong in others eyes. Post Katrina turned it into the 2nd largest town in the state. Lafayette was not prepared nor was it ready to accept what was thrown it's way. Streets became more crowded,housing and apt living became crazy, population peeked. What was a 90/100K town instantaneously grew at a minimum of 120k overnight. People were moving in buying up property and homes sight unseen,just to have a place to live and some a piece of the pie. Koodos to those that are successful and "honest" about doing it the fair way and not taking people. I agree you need to be more an outdoors type person to live in the heart of Cajun Country. Camping,Hunting,Fishing,Boating,Sking, is a big part of the enjoyment. Henderson Louisiana is probably the smallest metropolis to fishing. Hunting, there are wildlife management areas where you can hunt. Oh by the way if you not familiar with Henderson, it's a small cajun town with resturants and one of the only natural swamps alive. It is a basin overflow for the achafalaya river. It's some of God's best country. Camping is the same way. Nature does have it's calling in the south of Lousiana. As they say "Sportsman's Paradise". Politics of Louisiana (and this is merely an opinion) seems to have one of the crookest politics around. I'm sure all states have their share but Louisiana is pretty well known for its. I guess everything stems back from it's past of Hughe P Long all the way to Edwin Edwards. Everyone goes in with good intentions yet amazing how they all end up. But don't get mad at the people, get mad at the game that's played. For eduction Louisiana (haven't checked the stats in a while) has always been one of the lowest states for ranking in the U.S. At least you hope it has. Housing has definitely sky rocketed in price. But if your the invester who buys with intent on selling later, I'm sure there is time to still get in there to make your money. But like anything else, it does have it's time share. It will come to a point where it's an over blown market and when building stops and there's more housing on the markets than can sell... you get the picture. But I don't foresee that in my opinion happening for at least 5 years down the road. Now the original post about down town. I had a business down town years ago. Downtown has changed but still needs in my opinion work. They have small shops, and bars, mostly catering to yes the college kids. They've done wonders from my opinion on cleaning it up. Still have alot of buildings empty. A lot of professions take up and house their businesses in these abandon old houses and buildings. Another area that's densely populated is the attorneys in town. No matter where you turn there is someone opening an attorney's office. Downtown has a since of ole school appeal. What times use to be like. Johnston Street I feel is feeling what downtown felt years ago. Alot of areas on the northside of Johnston is in need of refurbishment. But this is old money not ready to separate themselves from the past. The boom to Lafayette seems to be or at least continues to be the Ambassador corridor and past the Acadiana mall. Growth is moving southwards. When they ever decide to build the bypass over Evangeline Thruway where that part of town can get it's share of refurbishing it seems it will continue to be a slow growth process as it has always been. And let's not forget all the festivals south Louisiana offers. Mardi Gras, Frog Festival, Rice Festival, Sugar Cane Festival, Shrimp Festival, Crawfish Festival, to name a few all great in their own way. The addition to the sports that's housed by Louisiana, Saints, LSU Tigers, the numerous ECHL Ice Hockey teams throughout, all add to the enjoyment for whatever interest may be. As a wrap up, Lafayette will always be home. I don't live there anymore, but frequent the city once or twice a month. As anywhere else, I guess you could say "it's what you make of it that counts". (The above is merely no more than one person's opinion) Let the good times role!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:29 PM

43 posts, read 238,858 times
Default Moved there and left

I moved there from San Diego in 2003 and left a few months before Katrina hit. I found it hard to find a job because I wasn't a native. Employers think the newbies won't like the culture and will move out on them. In my case they were right.

After 18 months, I finally had someone correct me on how to pronounce the city's name. I was saying "loff-ee-ett" when it's really "laff-ee-et." When I asked why no one corrected me sooner, the reply was, "that's how we know who the outsiders are."

We lived close to downtown and it was not bad, especially after they sealed up the windows on the jail. I used to get heckled by the inmates when I would walk to Downtown Alive! You will hear the constant train whistles and church bells. They are especially lively on religious holidays. St. John's Cathedral is beautiful with pristine landscaping. Unfortunately their private elementary school, Cathedral Carmel, located right next door is in dire need of repairs with boarded up windows.

It's extremely Catholic! It you're into family planning, you'll have to search high and low for a practitioner to prescribe birth control.

The dirty little secret? The town is know for having one of the highest ratings of STDs. Also, government corruption is the usual lead story, if it's not the police chief, it's some other public politico in hot water for wrong doing.

On the upside, the locals know how to enjoy life to its' fullest. We went to a lot of neighborhood impromptu parties where a band would break out. Seriously! Carry your instrument with you so you can jam with your friends. That was by far the best part.

I didn't care for all the alcohol there. Bars offer to-go cups and there are drive-through daiquiri bars. Open containers in cars were finally made illegal during our tenure, but many still drive around town with a beer between their legs.

Cops tend to be a overly aggressive. If you can't present insurance during a routine traffic stop, expect about 5 cars to be called in for back up.... guns drawn.

Only the poor kids go to public schools. Everyone else puts their kids in private schools. Education is really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana