Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times

Advertisements

We spent some Christmas vacation time in La (Natchitoches and then White Castle), and while there we were briefed on some history of the 'River Road' south of Baton Rouge. We decided to return at a later date and drive the River Road and spend some time in New Orleans. After I started reading more about this area, I ran into several pages about St Francisville, which is on one end of the River Road.

Now I love small towns, so it sounds right up my alley. Is it worth spending a weekend there? I've never been there, and never heard of it until now. I can't quite get a feel on what it is like from the websites. I was thinking of starting there and ending up in New Orleans or the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,690,465 times
It is quite worth spending the weekend there. St. Francisville has a rich culture that is unique from other towns along the river in Louisiana. St. Francisville is very English. Most of what you saw further downriver was more French culture-wise. Many of the homes there are open year-around for tours. Rosedown, Oakley, The Myrtles, Afton Villa Gardens, Butler-Greenwood, and others are not to be missed. Try not to take The Myrtles too seriously, though. It's overblown in most travel shows and guidebooks, and I think people are disappointed when they get there and realize it's just an old house with lots of deferred maintenance. There are more impressive estates open for tour in St. Francisville.

While you're in that area, you should drive across the Audubon Bridge to New Roads and False River. Pointe Coupee Parish and West Feliciana Parish are like night and day, culture wise. PC being very French, and WF being very Anglo. Visit downtown New Roads and Drive Highway 1 around False River to see many more plantation homes. None of the homes in Pointe Coupee are open for daily tours. This is because most of these homes, even after 200+ years are still the at the center of working plantations. The same old families live in those old homes and make their money off the surrounding land.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM

Fantastic. Thanks for the reply - that's what I was hoping to hear. On the 2nd part of our Christmas trip we stayed at Nottaway, and I really enjoyed visiting nearby Plaquemine. I find it thoroughly fascinating to see how much has been preserved from a bygone era. The history and the homes - all of it is really interesting to experience.

We will definitely visit the area around St Francisville, and I will keep a note of all your tips! Appreciate it!

Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM

327 posts, read 603,717 times
Also, visit the Port Hudson Civil War Battleground. Interesting history there.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
Also, visit the Port Hudson Civil War Battleground. Interesting history there.
Wow I wasn't even aware there would be something like that in the area. Definitely on the list. Thanks.

Looks really interesting:
Port Hudson State Historic Site - Louisiana Office of State Parks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana