Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 AM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times

Advertisements

For a state that touts tourism as a main economic engine, it seems cutting staff and hours at state museums is like serving quarter-pounders with an ounce of meat. As a result of the growing state budget deficit of $1.+ Billion, La. Secretary of State Tome Schedler announced layoffs of some full-time museum employees and reduce hours of operation to cope with Gov. Jindal's budget cuts. So the larger museums in the state will be open to just 3 days per week and smaller museums will be open just one day a week. And have less staff to meet the maintenance and hospitality needs of those institutions.

So a "quality-of-life / tourism" feature in Louisiana will take a hit and this is only the beginning.

Layoffs planned by Louisiana secretary of state to cope with cut | NOLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 03:03 PM

370 posts, read 446,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
For a state that touts tourism as a main economic engine, it seems cutting staff and hours at state museums is like serving quarter-pounders with an ounce of meat. As a result of the growing state budget deficit of $1.+ Billion, La. Secretary of State Tome Schedler announced layoffs of some full-time museum employees and reduce hours of operation to cope with Gov. Jindal's budget cuts. So the larger museums in the state will be open to just 3 days per week and smaller museums will be open just one day a week. And have less staff to meet the maintenance and hospitality needs of those institutions.

So a "quality-of-life / tourism" feature in Louisiana will take a hit and this is only the beginning.

Layoffs planned by Louisiana secretary of state to cope with cut | NOLA.com
Great news!

They need to layoff and reduce the pay of more state workers in Baton Rouge!

Private industry has been tough and we have seen many people run to state government for work.

This is a great sign for business that our state of Louisiana government is trimming back and reducing the financial burden on the people.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:01 AM

639 posts, read 821,123 times
All I have to say is those of you who voted for Jindal ought to not open your mouth to complain, IMO the only ones who have grounds to complain are those who did not vote for him. THE END

Old 02-20-2015, 11:35 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
I voted for him in 2007, but that's the last time I voted for anybody in the GOP. This man is a wrecking ball to this state. I'm so sorry I voted for him, he's awful.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:00 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
I voted for him in 2007, but that's the last time I voted for anybody in the GOP. This man is a wrecking ball to this state. I'm so sorry I voted for him, he's awful.
I thought Indian people are supposed to be sensible. Everyone Indian guy I ever worked with was a blast and super cool and down to earth and super smart. I am surprised and shocked by this.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:34 PM

His rhetoric before getting in office sounded great. And then the budget deficits came. And then his national aspirations came ... and that's when s*** hit the fan.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
His rhetoric before getting in office sounded great. And then the budget deficits came. And then his national aspirations came ... and that's when s*** hit the fan.
Didn't you guys have a governor that ran from office from prison once? Our state govt is really bad as well, historically terrible we are almost dead last in everything as well so I can't talk thats why I am moving from Kentucky to Tennessee soon.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Didn't you guys have a governor that ran from office from prison once? Our state govt is really bad as well, historically terrible we are almost dead last in everything as well so I can't talk thats why I am moving from Kentucky to Tennessee soon.
That's why the US needs to stay away from us and our elected officials. I don't think he ran from office from prison; he got out and announced intentions, but if I recall he never ran.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
That's why the US needs to stay away from us and our elected officials. I don't think he ran from office from prison; he got out and announced intentions, but if I recall he never ran.
I don't know what the taxes go for here, our roads, schools and infer structure is pretty horrible. Our police and FD are good people thou. I hate state governments thou.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM

974 posts, read 2,185,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathrights View Post
Great news!

They need to layoff and reduce the pay of more state workers in Baton Rouge!

Private industry has been tough and we have seen many people run to state government for work.

This is a great sign for business that our state of Louisiana government is trimming back and reducing the financial burden on the people.
Well consider the cuts aren't just in Baton Rouge...it's statewide. And the impact will be felt all over by:
Cuts to healthcare services.
Cuts to programs for elderly, children, at-risk youth.
Cuts to state law enforcement & emergency services.
Cuts to state highway maintenance programs
Cuts to state higher education... (uh...does anyone really think big biz will come to a state with a poorly educated workforce? )

Cuts to... do I really need to go on?

What many people don't realize is that a lot of these agencies had already had gone through a series of budget cuts during that past 2 or 3 years. In short... many vital services and institutions have been cutback already and are squeezed as it is. Some areas will be hit so hard that the impact will be felt for the next 8 years. It's already been happening in education and healthcare.

So before anybody does a "happy dance" about these cuts... they aren't being done because of any smart fiscal responsibility on the part of well-planned policies...these cuts are a last-ditch / last-resort measure thanks to poor leadership from the Governor's office and the all-too-willing lockstep of the politicians in the statehouse.

Facing $1.6 Billion in deficits .... we're in big trouble folks. It's a safe bet that everyone's family or someone close to the family will feel the fallout from these cuts. Have a kid or niece or nephew going to college? Guess what? They're going to pay 50% more in tuition...IF the degree program is still offered, 'cuz thanks to the cuts...some degree programs will go away. Some colleges may in fact close...yep...CLOSE!

Have an elderly relative who needs healthcare or some state-sponsored elderly assistance.... POOF! GONE!! Thanks to cuts. OR the healthcare services in their community gets cut and they have to go someplace else for help. Still ready to "happy dance"? Think business will want to come to a state that has cutback essential services? Uh-uh...nope.

Heck not long ago Japanese folks as part of the advance team for Toyota looked around Louisiana and they passed on locating here. Why? One reason they shared was too much litter and trash on the highways and communities they were looking at. Their summation was: if local people and their community leaders don't think enough to keep their communities clean, what else is wrong? First impressions can make or break an opportunity. Had better funding for litter removal on highways and communities been available...there may be a Toyota assembly plant in Louisiana instead of Blue Springs, MS. (started in 2007... Monroe, LA area was a "contender".)

Yeah... it's easy to oversimplify things by simply "cutting/slashing spending". But it's not the answer to a long-term solution. Only a temporary fix. You can save money on food by not buying groceries but you'll still go to bed and wake up hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana