Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,580 times

Advertisements

Why would ya'll want to be a separate state?! Of course it's drastically different up there, and it's definately quiet, but what would Louisiana be without it's top part? I'll tell you what it would be. It would be a shoe! Then the north part would basically be a rectangle. A shoe and a rectangle really messes up the map. I plead that we stay a boot! So much more interesting!

PS. Texas has the same issues: hill country vs. the coast etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Location: Virginia, just outside of DC, our crooks are just dressed better than yours.
84 posts, read 307,846 times
Default Shoe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Why would ya'll want to be a separate state?! Of course it's drastically different up there, and it's definately quiet, but what would Louisiana be without it's top part? I'll tell you what it would be. It would be a shoe! Then the north part would basically be a rectangle. A shoe and a rectangle really messes up the map. I plead that we stay a boot! So much more interesting!

PS. Texas has the same issues: hill country vs. the coast etc.
Louisiana already looks like a boot. I feel that if the top of the state is removed from the "map" it would appear to be more of a mule than a shoe; and definitely not a sandal

Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 PM

76 posts, read 507,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leia63 View Post
I've noticed that when travelling to South Louisiana, people will claim that Northern Louisiana is culturally more like Texas than the rest of Louisiana. Yet, when I travel to Texas, they do not associate Northern Louisiana as being apart of their culture either. Cities such as Shreveport and Monroe are seen as boring, country, bible-belt places with absolutely no culture.This seems to be the perception of us given from the rest of the state as well as Texas. I was just wondering if Northern Louisiana should become an entirely separate state altogether. It seems that we do not receive much respect from either of our neighbors. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.
North Louisiana is very culturally different from South Louisiana, with Natchitoches an exception. Within South Louisiana itself, the New Orleans area is culturally different from the Cajun Triangle. The Cajun Triangle, which extends into extreme Southeast Texas, makes Lake Charles more culturally similar to Beaumont-Port Arthur than to North Louisiana.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 PM

76 posts, read 507,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On The Go View Post
I just happened to drop in on the postings this a.m. and ran across this one. I thought I'd write my comment, which is, of course....just my thinking.

I was raised in North LA (Bossier City/Shreveport area) from 2 yrs. old and lived there until I was 44 yrs old. I then moved to New Orleans (WOW! what a culture shock! I so enjoyed the many diverse things available to do and the deep French history which surrounded the place, but just a 'little too much for me' there, as far as living there was concerned). I was there 8 mos., then moved to Atlanta, GA (Oh now you talk about 'culture', they have it!!), where I lived for 7 mos. After that, I returned back to live in the North LA area again for 5 yrs. Now that move back was a hard adjustment, because it was then that I realized that North LA IS country! But that's o.k., what's wrong with 'country'? Then in 1987, we moved to the Bootheel of Missouri (speaking of culture shock!) South Missouri is 'backwoods', but I suppose that is o.k. as well.....just not for me. Then after 1 yr. we moved to St. Louis, MO in 1988, where we lived until 1995....and LOVED every minute of it! There's any and everything in St. Louis that one could ever hope to do. It is steeped in history with the mighty Mississippi River running through it! Every day could be an adventure and many free to inexpensive things to do and see. The plays, the musicals, the Arch, Grants Farms, Anheiser Busch Brewery, the restaurants.....and the people!!! When we retired in 1995, bought a motor home, sold our house, gave our kids everything that we had, hit the road.....where we continue to live ('On The Road' in our motor home), we can have all of the best of worlds. We can be in Bossier City/Shreveport, if we want to be 'country', or be in New Orleans, LA if we want to be 'artsy' or have great food and listen to jazz, or be in St. Louis, MO if we want the wonder of excitement, listen to more jazz, have culture and ambiance all around us. OR...we can (and do) go to Old Mexico and stay for 3-4 mos. each trip. NOW THAT'S A CULTURE SHOCK! With the poverty right beside the wealth. With pole houses and dirt floors sitting beside a beautiful resort. With family being the most important thing in their lives. It doesn't matter there. They are HAPPY and CONTENT! And talking about friendly! They know what it means and we LOVE being there too. It's all in what one makes of their circumstances and situations.

We believe that we have to make our own culture and our own class. Sometimes it's not right around us at the time, BUT.....we must find it if it is that that we crave. Long story short: who cares about whether we have respect from Texas or whether get even have it from South Louisiana people. We find our 'respect' from within......it's not something given to us. We just LOVE IT ALL!
Very well said. Our uniqueness is what makes us so interesting.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toupsee View Post
Louisiana already looks like a boot. I feel that if the top of the state is removed from the "map" it would appear to be more of a mule than a shoe; and definitely not a sandal
As long as the shoe isn't on the other foot!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
I've noticed that when travelling to South Louisiana, people will claim that Northern Louisiana is culturally more like Texas than the rest of Louisiana. Yet, when I travel to Texas, they do not associate Northern Louisiana as being apart of their culture either. Cities such as Shreveport and Monroe are seen as boring, country, bible-belt places with absolutely no culture.This seems to be the perception of us given from the rest of the state as well as Texas. I was just wondering if Northern Louisiana should become an entirely separate state altogether. It seems that we do not recieve much respect from either of our neighbors. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.
Many states have different 'regions' within their state. That doesn't mean they should be broken up.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:50 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
Default north louisiana virtually off the radar

Most people know little or anything about this "remote rural area" who don't live in proximity to it. As a nationwide traveller when asked where I am from, I always reply Shreveport. Then I am asked if it is near New Orleans or do I go to Mardi Gras or am I Cajun or did Katrina wreck my home? I always reply courteously, but am amazed how many don't know much about my area. It is virtually off the radar and practically is a separate state. It is a poor region, but certainly liveable. No hoopla here like in the Southeast or Texas. It is rather a dry, bland region where people are very religious and the top two hobbies are hunting and fishing. Many of these towns and cities here as well are rather cliqueish although it is somewhat less of a problem in the bigger cities of the region. I won't speak for every locale, but I would give Shreveport a C- on "southern hospitality" and Bossier City as well. I enjoy living here and would recommend it to anyone, but I wanted to be truthful. Don't get your feelings hurt out there about the hospitality remark, there is a great deal of truth in that.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:48 PM

768 posts, read 4,387,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I won't speak for every locale, but I would give Shreveport a C- on "southern hospitality" and Bossier City as well. I enjoy living here and would recommend it to anyone, but I wanted to be truthful. Don't get your feelings hurt out there about the hospitality remark, there is a great deal of truth in that.
Then why is it every visitor I've brought here from other states has commented on how nice the people are? Now when my wife first moved here, she came from a smaller town and found the people here to be rude and pushy, but again she came from a smaller town in Arkansas. People from larger cities and from areas outside of the south think people here are the friendliest people around.

It's all relative...

Old 11-26-2007, 02:33 AM

166 posts, read 615,093 times
Quote:
I've noticed that when travelling to South Louisiana, people will claim that Northern Louisiana is culturally more like Texas than the rest of Louisiana. Yet, when I travel to Texas, they do not associate Northern Louisiana as being apart of their culture either. Cities such as Shreveport and Monroe are seen as boring, country, bible-belt places with absolutely no culture.This seems to be the perception of us given from the rest of the state as well as Texas. I was just wondering if Northern Louisiana should become an entirely separate state altogether. It seems that we do not recieve much respect from either of our neighbors. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.
There are many states that have completely different cultural feels from one end to the other. California north & south, Minnesota, South, Mid, & Up North, New York Upstate & NYC, Pennslyvania East & West, Michigan UP and South...these differences are what give each state their totality of charm. I lived in New Orleans, but spent time in the north as well. They are vastly different - but the whole state is rich in history and culture, and should never be divided.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Then why is it every visitor I've brought here from other states has commented on how nice the people are? Now when my wife first moved here, she came from a smaller town and found the people here to be rude and pushy, but again she came from a smaller town in Arkansas. People from larger cities and from areas outside of the south think people here are the friendliest people around.

It's all relative...
I have heard the opposite from people in this state/region. I don't exatly know what their personal experiences were, maybe the driving. Sometimes first impressions are lasting ones. Have you ever been to a store or restaurant and got less than courteous service? Downright rude worker attitude? Certainly you have. And when people go to another city and don't get treated civilly they don't want to go back. I don't have any problem here personally, but do notice civility could be better in some places. I wasn't trying to denigrate Shreveport-Bossier, but I have lived here most of my 52 years and have noticed the erosion of hospitality. Sure there are plenty of good people around here, but I don't think it is the friendliest place around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana