Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:27 AM

5 posts, read 28,255 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We have a very nice job opportunity to move to Lake Charles LA and need to know a few things. I have two teenagers, one in 9th and one in 11th grade. What would be the best publich high school and best private high school to put them in? Where would be the best area to live in? We aren't looking for the most expensive housing, just something decent. Also, how much do the private schools cost? That will effect how much we spend on a house. Thanks so much to all.
YoCheerioh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 12:13 PM

21 posts, read 78,940 times
well do you have to actually live in lake charles? cause there is a nice little town just outside of lake charles called sulphur i think you could possibly be interested in .. it's about a 10 minute drive to lake charles

Old 11-21-2007, 07:04 AM

No we don't have to actually live in Lake Charles. I don't know anything about the area at all. I've never been to LA so any information would be wonderful! Thanks so much.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoCheerioh View Post
No we don't have to actually live in Lake Charles. I don't know anything about the area at all. I've never been to LA so any information would be wonderful! Thanks so much.
Some thoughts about Lake Charles: (1) the western area is more industrial, especially when you cross the lake, (2) the northern part of Lake Charles is slummy, but I know there are northern suburbs, like Moss Bluff, (3) there's very little to the east of town, (4) the southern part of town, esp south of I-210, is where all growth/nicer subdivisions are.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:33 PM

well sulphur has more of a "small town" feel to it .. the population is around 25,000 from what i understand ...it is , in my opinion ,much better than lake charles as far as raising kids is concerned ... and if they are into sports ... sulphur has always had VERY good sports teams... a lot of school spirit for sulphur high school... and as far as housing .. prices are VERY affordable ... plus there is a MUCH lower crime rate here than in lake charles ... well this is my opinion on the situation .. and if you want to know anything else about lake charles , sulphur or the surrounding areas feel free to ask!

Old 11-26-2007, 12:47 PM

This is great information about sulphur. Hubby will be going down to LA in Jan to start his new job. I'll tell him to visit there. any more info for me? Sulphur sounds alot like where we live now (in West Virginia).

Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM

well one more thing i can tell you about sulphur , lake charles , and everywhere else in the area is that there isn't much to do as far as just going out and doing something ... there's restaurants , movies , bowling and that's it! ( oh and a skatepark , if you're kids are into that ) ... just thought i would give you a heads up!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Well, now it doesn't sound like west virginia.
I thought there was nothing to do here!
We'll just have to make it work. Thanks for the heads up

Old 01-07-2008, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,936 times
Exclamation THINK TWICE! Please...

I know that I will get a lot of people from Sulphur mad, but I'm going to put it to you as bluntly as I can. If you are happy where you are now, DO NOT drag yourself and your children down here if your husband is the one securing a job here, especially if it is construction or industries. It won't be long term anyway. I have lived here most of my life, except for a few years in Monterey, Ca. I made the biggest mistake moving back here. I have 4 children and as soon as I've got my nursing degree from MSU, I'm out of here! This whole area is a joke! For one, do not let anyone tell you that there is anything to do here. There is not! Besides fishing, I cannot think of one single thing to do here as a family. And good luck with that. You will need a boat to do any decent saltwater fishing. Fishing off the banks is bad, unless you like getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. Sulphur is notorious for white trash pill heads. This is nothing new. I am 37 and this has always been a problem in this area. As far as Lake Charles goes, I have not and never would live there. Sure there may be some decent subdivisions popping up here and there. But, most are overpriced and being sold by greedy developers trying to make a buck since the hurricane. And they're still not that nice. They still have ditches in front of every house-- good for nothing but gathering trash and housing mosquito larva. And I don't know if the hurricane has had anything to do with everything going on locally, but this place has taken a nose dive since then. EVERYTHING! I would not recommend anyone...ANYONE... waste their time, money, or lives to move here.
I know that I will not sway your decision, you will do what needs to be done, but anyone who says this is a great place to live is straight up LYING!
Just ask someone to give you some specifics about living here. I mean SPECIFICS! I would love to see what they have to say that is so great!
In fact, I use to think that if I wasn't so concerned about my childrens' futures, that I might just settle and stay here. But as time is ticking and I grow older and wiser, I realize that there are much nicer places to live in the States. And oh yes! I already know where we're going! And it is no where near Louisiana!
Good luck to you, where ever you end up.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,512 times
Sorry you feel that way Antsy, but I think people say this is a great place to live because they are happy here. There are better places but there are also much worse. To the OP, get to know your neighbors, ask around and see what the locals like to do. I'm sure there is more than what has been mentioned here. And most houses do not have ditches in front, that's only on some of the outskirts. Things have and still are getting better in the area since the hurricane with new improvements and opportunities available. Well, just thought I'd add my two cents. Let us know how things are going.

Last edited by la_native; 02-16-2008 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana