Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,315 times

Advertisements

Our family currently lives in Vermont but we have been talking about moving to Louisiana. My husband has a brother in Texas and by moving to DeRidder we would be about five hours from him and about 25 hours away from my mother.

So what do I need to know about the area? My husband is currently in the flooring business and I stay at home. We have a 5 year old and a 4 year old. He is willing to change industries depending on what is available. I have been trying to find a place that has information on rentals and jobs in the area but haven't found a good site. Any information about the area would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:43 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
DeRidder is not somewhere I would move to without a job already lined up .

Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
DeRidder is not somewhere I would move to without a job already lined up .
We aren't moving until June or July. My husband will be going down in April or May to get a job and find a place to live. I won't move anywhere until a job is lined up.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:25 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,414,092 times
I like DeRidder, but I wouldn't think there's much call for flooring people there. In fact, I wouldn't think there are many jobs available there of any kind. What part of Texas does his brother live in that's 5 hours away? Why would he not be looking to move closer to his brother?

If you are from Vermont, be prepared for much different summer weather too.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:59 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,355,894 times
Yeah , I don't want to dog on DeRidder , but I just don't think it's somewhere you want to blindly relocate to . It's not a booming place for sure .

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM

194 posts, read 529,256 times
DeRidder is a nice old town, but it has a population of about 10,000. It does have a JCPenney's store. So you might want to consider one of the larger towns like Lake Charles where there are more opportunities available.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 15,734 times
We live about 25 minutes from DeRidder. It is a nice place, way better than Leesville but the job market isn't that good. You would do better to look else where in my opinion. We will be moving to Dallas, TX area in a few weeks and the job market there is so much better.
We have been for the most parts life long residents, born and raised here. I have moved back and forth to TX working in the past.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:50 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,173 times
Anyone of you DeRidder folks know what became of the FAA Flight Service facility there? Flight Service (weather briefings) was privatized a few years ago and centralized elsewhere, but I got to know quite a few of the guys and gals there over the years.

Quick background. DeRidder won in a statewide effort to land the FAA contract to host this facility for the state of Louisiana many years ago. So every pilot in Louisiana prior to a flight was required to call the 800 number to DeRidder Flight Service for a weather (etc.) briefing. Now that it's been privatized, Lockheed Martin provides this service out of Ft. Worth (I think).

Was sorry to see DeRidder lose that facility...

Old 02-06-2011, 01:09 PM

674 posts, read 1,539,106 times
Is DeRidder close to Leesburg? How far are they apart?

Old 05-17-2011, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,828 times
I grew up in the Leesville/DeRidder area and could not wait to get out. DeRidder is not just a sleepy little town, it is comatose. There are only so many times you can go to Wal-Mart for entertainment. If you drink, you'll have to drive to Leesville because DeRidder is a "dry" city...no alcohol sold or served. Most folks are evangelical protestant. If you are going to retire and are agoraphobic you might like it. Otherwise, do your best to avoid it. If you brother-in-law lives in Texas, but you want to live in Louisiana, you may want to move to Lake Charles or Shreveport (but neither have much work). I would suggest either a suburb of Dallas, Houston or possibly Beaumont if he lives in East or North Texas...Austin or San Antonio if he lives in Central or Southern Texas. DeRidder is Super Conservative.

Last edited by Myron Casey; 05-17-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana