Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 3,903 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing that I'm in for some culture shock and I'm wondering what to expect and what to avoid, etc. I realize all actions have reactions and to always treat people how I want to be treated- but I just want to have as open of a mind and arrive as flexible as I can and I'm looking for any objective advice/opinions on how to best conduct myself is all. And where to avoid going since all cities have areas and neighborhoods best avoided.
Thanks.

Last edited by Allen72; 03-06-2014 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:00 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,366,433 times
Act just as you would in North Carolina, no difference here. There will be a shock due to our culture but nothing drastic. Avoid most everything north of Florida Blvd, some areas are completely fine though.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,132,803 times
You'll find the humid summers a real treat, and will need to install a dryer in your gun safe to reduce chances of corrosion.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 PM

I was getting the impression to avoid being north of Florida Blvd and definitely not looking forward to the humidity, but I know to expect it- thanks for the input guys..

Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM

I just realized you said northern California and not Carolina. It will be a pretty big culture shock for you then. Just arrive with an open mind and an open belly and you should be fine. Are you from the Bay area or farther north?

Old 03-06-2014, 09:59 PM

I'm further north, closer to Redding- I always try to keep an open mind and I don't like being judgmental- so generally I get along with folks just fine- it'll be an adventure and definitely a new experience.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM

Well it'll be bigger for one, probably more conservative. Welcome to Louisiana.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:13 AM

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 PM

105 posts, read 154,176 times
Allen72,
Do you understand society? You can understand a culture by paying attention to what they consider "dangerous".

Everything is "dangerous" to people in the South, its the way they justify not doing good things

Weed, we have some of the harshest anti-weed laws.

A lot of excuse making. A lot of "yeah..but we can't do that here because...[insert non reason here]"

People like to dance in Baton Rouge, They j.i.g. They have a lot of that on the North side

LGBT, if you are one, be in at least a group of three. My experiences are from 10 years ago, things might have changed. I remember gay friends who later fled to Seattle getting harassed in the streets. I remember cycling
friends getting harassed for riding a bicycle (the bicycle thing has definitely changed from 10 years ago)., and other things I wont mention because people will call me names for it.

Never talk about guns or anyone getting shot in any context. Unless you are the one doing the shooting.

Far less recycling. More traffic, less mass transit than larger Northern Cali cities. The food choices may be more limited than what you are used to. You will drive everywhere so dont worry about the heat. We tend to be more indoors than California. Outdoor events are for football games and family gatherings.

Lastly dear, you will have to call things as you see them. People are interested in what they do and have no regard for what they don't do. simple as that.

Expanding roads comes before the environment. The girls are more dolled up. People aremore expressive about how they feel. You may see more fights too.

If you are a conservative, like to hunt, like to go to church, like to get drunk, and LOVE LSU football above anything else you will be welcomed.

Last edited by muer22; 03-10-2014 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muer22 View Post
Allen72,
Do you understand society? You can understand a culture by paying attention to what they consider "dangerous".

Everything is "dangerous" to people in the South, its the way they justify not doing good things

Weed, we have some of the harshest anti-weed laws.
Medical marijuana is legal in Louisiana, it was put on the books back in '91. Just no way to regulate and distribute.

Quote:
A lot of excuse making. A lot of "yeah..but we can't do that here because...[insert non reason here]"

People like to dance in Baton Rouge, They j.i.g. They have a lot of that on the North side

LGBT, if you are one, be in at least a group of three. My experiences are from 10 years ago, things might have changed. I remember gay friends who later fled to Seattle getting harassed in the streets. I remember cycling
friends getting harassed for riding a bicycle (the bicycle thing has definitely changed from 10 years ago)., and other things I wont mention because people will call me names for it.
No one ****. People do like to dance though, we have great music.

Don't think he's gay. That one guy yelling at them was likely the one random person who would do that in any city.

Quote:
Never talk about guns or anyone getting shot in any context. Unless you are the one doing the shooting.

Far less recycling. More traffic, less mass transit than larger Northern Cali cities. The food choices may be more limited than what you are used to. You will drive everywhere so dont worry about the heat. We tend to be more indoors than California. Outdoor events are for football games and family gatherings.
People here love guns and will talk about them all day.
He's from Redding, there is no transit there, and likely no Whole Foods either. You don't have to drive in a few neighborhoods.

Outdoor events are for winter and summer. We are the game state, people come from Canada to hunt on Louisiana. How do we not like outdoors? Did you skip all the boats, campers, etc?

Quote:
Lastly dear, you will have to call things as you see them. People are interested in what they do and have no regard for what they don't do. simple as that.

Expanding roads comes before the environment. The girls are more dolled up. People aremore expressive about how they feel. You may see more fights too.

If you are a conservative, like to hunt, like to go to church, like to get drunk, and LOVE LSU football above anything else you will be welcomed.
You can't make that assumption about everyone, sounds like you know very little about Louisiana in general.

I'm not conservative, not into hunting, don't go to church, love to drink, and love LSU and I do fine.
As someone from Redding, I think they'll be fine, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana