Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:55 PM

105 posts, read 154,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Medical marijuana is legal in Louisiana, it was put on the books back in '91. Just no way to regulate and distribute.
So in others words the law is useless. I was just telling our friend that big social issues will always be adapted first in Massachusetts or California and last in Louisiana.

Quote:
No one ****. People do like to dance though, we have great music.

Don't think he's gay. That one guy yelling at them was likely the one random person who would do that in any city.
Annie: "j.i.g.g.i.n.g" to put it bluntly is a dance people on the Northside like to do, not an Irish folk dance as you probably think.

People in BR have a hobby of degrading the Northside and simply not knowing anything about their neighbors despite the northside having the only cultural exports from Baton Rouge for 60 years strong.

Not sure where you are going with this gay point, do you have to be gay to care about how gay people are treated? Some people, me included don't have to be gay to voice opinion, consider it repulsive, or care about different cultures being harassed openly in public. This is a big difference between my view and what I saw in BR. I am just telling the guy, as you agree, people in Baton Rouge tolerate hateful attitudes. Instead of asking people what their experience they belittle hatred as one guy...which is more like one guy who knows he will not be censored by his community for his actions.

Baton Rouge is one of the friendliest places person-to-person, but when social issues pop up or when whimsical social boundaries are crossed things get nasty, people become divisive. I am not trying to argue, I am trying to give you my experience without mentioning specifics, because when people mention specifics tempers flare.

I remember someone in college with a sticker saying "How did our oil get under their sand?". There was a story in the Reveille written by an Indian student who overheard an LSU tailgater make a comment about terrorism and say he wanted to pss on the Indian student - the LSU fan ironically not knowing his blind hatred was geared toward the wrong country, but to them it really doesn't matter. No one said anything against the LSU fan because that boorish attitude is accepted. I have tons of examples...the California guys needs to ask himself what he will say if anything at all when someone is degraded openly in public, because it may shock him.

Quote:
People here love guns and will talk about them all day.
Really, everybody loves guns? I find it like a country with elections where the president always gets 100% of the vote; i.e. obviously there is no promotion of free civil discussion.

Quote:
He's from Redding, there is no transit there, and likely no Whole Foods either. You don't have to drive in a few neighborhoods.
RABA - Redding Area Bus Authority, I never even mentioned Whole Foods. I said food choices. Near the University they actually have a good selection but in the rest of the city... no. I just mentioned the differences. Many people in California champion fresh food, maybe our friend just likes pb sandwiches and pizza, I dont know, just mentioned the cultural differences like he asked for.

I just focus on being accurate about my depiction of Louisiana and that's all I can do.

Quote:
I'm not conservative, not into hunting, don't go to church, love to drink, and love LSU and I do fine.
As someone from Redding, I think they'll be fine, thank you.
I didnt say he wouldn't do fine nor did I say every person in Baton Rouge acts the exact same, more like you know what you are going to get. The list of church, LSU, I shouldn't even say drinking...its more getting drunk, is very true it is 95% of what you will see, so why not mention to a person from Redding.

Last edited by muer22; 03-12-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana