Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Thank you for the clarification. Any other suggestions?

My interests are pretty much everything other than nightlife. Good spots for photos, historical sites, museums, tours of the swamps (especially in those hydrofoil or hoverboats or whatever they use down there, I've seen them used in MN for wetlands research purposes), good, not spendy places to eat popular with the locals, churches / monasteries, walkable downtowns, etc.
I'm not really familiar with Cajun Country like I would like. You can go to Avery Island perhaps or down to Houma and Thibodaux. Houma has a pretty nice downtown when I went. They are called airboats here. Try this: Welcome To McGees Landing for a tour of the country's largest swamp.

Last edited by annie_himself; 04-08-2014 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 12:54 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,546 times
REQUOTED from http://www.cedricwatson.com/:

"SO, EVEYWHERE I GO IN THIS WORLD "CAJUN & CREOLE CULTURE" ARE MISUNDERSTOOD. SO, WHEN FOLKS ASK ME THE DIFFERENCES, I STICK TO THIS STORY . FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME MORE FACTS OR EVEN OPINIONS AND CRITIC. EAT, ENJOY, AND DIGEST MY FRIENDS.

mod cut~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOURCE LINK/URL:

Cedric Watson

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-22-2014 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: you may not post large bodies of text - just a snippet and a link

Old 08-16-2014, 09:43 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
REQUOTED from Cedric Watson:

"SO, EVEYWHERE I GO IN THIS WORLD "CAJUN & CREOLE CULTURE" ARE MISUNDERSTOOD. SO, WHEN FOLKS ASK ME THE DIFFERENCES, I STICK TO THIS STORY . FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME MORE FACTS OR EVEN OPINIONS AND CRITIC. EAT, ENJOY, AND DIGEST MY FRIENDS.

mod cut~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOURCE LINK/URL:

Cedric Watson
True dat!

There are not many cultural differences between Creoles and Cajuns. However, there are some cooking differences. Jambalaya from Cajun country never has tomato sauce in it, in Creole New Orleans it does. Cajun gumbo usually doesn't have okra in it, New Orleans gumbo does. Crawfish were originally boiled and served cold in New Orleans back in the day, when tourists decided they liked hot crawfish like in Lafayette the restaurants started serving it that way. There was a lot of exchange, but now there is not much difference between the two cultures.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 08-22-2014 at 05:12 AM..

Old 08-16-2014, 01:35 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
True dat!

There are not many cultural differences between Creoles and Cajuns. However, there are some cooking differences. Jambalaya from Cajun country never has tomato sauce in it, in Creole New Orleans it does. Cajun gumbo usually doesn't have okra in it, New Orleans gumbo does. Crawfish were originally boiled and served cold in New Orleans back in the day, when tourists decided they liked hot crawfish like in Lafayette the restaurants started serving it that way. There was a lot of exchange, but now there is not much difference between the two cultures.
Yep, but also, Creole is not just confined to New Orleans, all throughout Louisiana there are various Creole peoples, cultures & communities.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There was a lot of exchange, but now there is not much difference between the two cultures.
How do you figure?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Yep, but also, Creole is not just confined to New Orleans, all throughout Louisiana there are various Creole peoples, cultures & communities.
Where and who?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:14 AM

317 posts, read 328,975 times
You can go to Pierre Part if you want to hear Louisiana's version of French. Not to sure what to do down there though.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:08 PM

Going to Lafayette Sunday to visit my little sister who is a freshman at UL.
Any good recommendations on restaurants and things to do so we can catch up(talk)? I'm thinking it may still be raining.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:01 AM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Going to Lafayette Sunday to visit my little sister who is a freshman at UL.
Any good recommendations on restaurants and things to do so we can catch up(talk)? I'm thinking it may still be raining.
When I visit Lafayette looking for food I like:

Sunday schedule
- Blue Dog Cafe on Pinhook (10:30 am - 2 pm)
- Deano's Pizza on Bertrand (10:30 am - 9 pm)
- Walk-On's on Kaliste Saloom (11 am - midnight)
- Don's Seafood Hut on Johnston (11 am - 9:30 pm)
- French Press on Vermilion (downtown) (9 am - 2 pm)
- Zea's Rotisserie on Doucet (11 am - 9:30 pm)

There are many, many more options, but these are the one's that immediately come to mind. Hopefully the rain will have died down a bit by Sunday.

Enjoy and report!

Old 08-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Thanks, Blue Dog Cafe and French Press sound good, hopefully I can get up that early after this LSU game. LOL

I'll also be checking out River Ranch for the first time!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,086,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Thanks, Blue Dog Cafe and French Press sound good, hopefully I can get up that early after this LSU game. LOL

I'll also be checking out River Ranch for the first time!
I usually get crawfish enchiladas at Blue Dog, but haven't been there during Sunday brunch.

At French Press, I usually get either the meatloaf poboy or the blackened redfish poboy. Can't lose with either, but they seem to run out of redfish quite ofter. And again, haven't been there for brunch, but I've heard it is a good one. Their french fries are perfection.

Now if you feel like sleeping late, Ruffino's On The River in River Ranch opens at 4:30. I haven't been to either the Baton Rouge or Lafayette Ruffino's, so you may know more about them than I since you live in BR.

Hopefully, you're watching LSU on TV and not looking at a drive back from Houston tonight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana