Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:07 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
There's a YMCA on Pujo Street across from the Post Office.
There used to be one years ago.

But I consulted the YMCA website for locations, and it said there were none within so many miles of my zip. Nearest one is in Lafayette. I then did a general search for YMCA Lake Charles....turned up some info...but when I called the number, it had been disconnected.

If it's there, it's VERY exclusive! (I think it closed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Looks like a run off between Nic Hunter and Wilford Carter. I'm hoping whoever wins. They take the city of Lake Charles to another level. When I say the city, I mean ALL of city, not just the south and the west.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:18 AM

370 posts, read 446,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Looks like a run off between Nic Hunter and Wilford Carter. I'm hoping whoever wins. They take the city of Lake Charles to another level. When I say the city, I mean ALL of city, not just the south and the west.
We do have some positive signs of change for North Lake Charles now.

CivicSource.com is now listing adjudicated, vacant North Lake Charles lots for sale online. I have spoken with the president of this company (out of New Orleans) and they have plans for listing even more.

If you are looking to flip some real estate now is the time.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:38 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Is north Lake Charles predominantly black?

Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Is north Lake Charles predominantly black?
Yes it is.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM

8 posts, read 7,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I grew up in L.C. and came back recently after decades to house hunt for retirement (actually I am looking in Tyler TX, and previously looked north of Houston). My family has pushed me to settle here, so I looked. It seems unlikely I'll be settling here. What has happened to L.C. shocked me.

X flood zone streets and houses now flood because natural drainage has been disrupted, it seems. Formerly nice areas (Lake & 210) have parts that look like skid row. Crime is rampant in most of L.C. Too many dead end streets, where subdivisions were started but not completed. South of town has streets full of overpriced cookie cutter houses that aren't built well and already have cracks. One had a big ditch running down one side of the backyard, filled with algae-covered stagnant water. It was supposed to drain into a huge waterway/ditch that ran horizontally across the back of all the houses on the street, but that gully's water didn't flow; it was stagnant and covered with green algae (a zika virus breeding ground). That's not natural, so I assume the builders have stopped up the natural flow of that water. And most of those have septic tanks...not city sewer. Many still have well water. And almost all are all-electric (it costs more to run gas to the houses). AND many of those streets are under water with just an ordinary rain.

Then there are little havens of super-priced housing, like the Gray community. No yards, high HOA fees, and high prices. Those don't escape flooding issues, either, though.

A lot of the houses, esp south of town, seem to be owned by company people who move in, live there a couple of years, then move on. While there, they don't plant a tree or do anything to improve the property or the community. They don't maintain the homes. I saw a house where the owner didn't even bother to clean the stains in the sink.

It's no wonder that many are escaping to Moss Bluff. But Moss Bluff is far from Lake Charles, for a retiree who may need to get the doctor in less than half an hour, or even if it's raining. Moss Bluff's homes are almost all electric only with no gas, too. And the home prices in Lake Charles city limits and Moss Bluff are high for what you get.

Many attractive homes are in what are now high crime, undesirable areas north of 210 and west of Hwy 14. Those homes, which used to be lovely (and many still are) have bars on the windows, and again, flooding issues where streets become unpassable with a normal rain.

It's a shame that with planning, the layout of communities and quality of homes could have been so much better. Is there no one overseeing the builders and planners who are developing these areas? L.C. could become a retiree haven...law abiding older people who add to a community and spend their retirement funds here, feed the medical machine and help the economy. But there are few communities here that are acceptable for that, much less inviting.

If you have 50 homes in a price range for sale, some of them flood or are in a flood zone, others are not built well, others are just ugly and old, others were not maintained and need a lot of work, some are in high crime areas, some are too far from medical and amenities, and the rest are outrageously priced.

This is L.C., not a big city with a lot of amenities. There's not even a YMCA here. LC could attract people if it had neighborhoods of attractive housing with tree lined streets, good drainage, and low crime, with amenities within 15 or 20 minutes. There's no reason LC shouldn't have these things.

It's a shame.
The Texas Hill Country - now that's living!

Old 04-08-2017, 01:30 PM

I see those urgent care centers popping up all over the metro. I'd like to see more than just doctors offices and convenience stores (which also seem to be popping up at a rapid rate). The turnout for 3/25 was low. I hope it's better 4/29.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
I see those urgent care centers popping up all over the metro. I'd like to see more than just doctors offices and convenience stores (which also seem to be popping up at a rapid rate). The turnout for 3/25 was low. I hope it's better 4/29.
They're great and handy. Some insurance, though (like mine) won't pay for that, unless it's a real emergency. Their fees are a little pricey for a "visit." They have contracts with the drs for cheapo.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 PM

Right? I still had a $50 copay for my last visit.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:28 PM

1,982 posts, read 969,691 times
Quote:
I'm hoping so, too. Hunter is in the driver's seat now but also under pressure to turn things around. There are lots of areas/aspects that need to be improved in LC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana