Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 12:55 AM

7 posts, read 33,778 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my wife and I are considering relocating to Lake Charles from Tucson,AZ. We have spent a few weeks out there and fell in love with it. (and yes, we went in July and August and were able to handle the humidity ) After growing up in the desert we loved the grass, water, and the numerous parks. We also like the idea of living in a small city, Tucson has gotten quite large and the crime (particularly violent, drug and gang related) is getting steadily worse.

That brings me to my first questions regarding crime in Lake Charles. I see the overall rate is lower than Tucson, but the burglary rate and assaults are quite high. I know different areas classify crime differently, so I am wondering about the burglary rate. Is residential burglary as big of a problem as it appears to be? I am wondering about actual home break ins. Also, do you generally feel safe in the city? Would you feel comfortable walking around without fear of running into trouble? I understand crime happens everywhere and general precautions must be taken, just wondering about the safety of Lake Charles in general. I want to raise a family in a safe area. We would be residing in Moss Bluff near family, which seems to be a very nice area.

During our brief visits it appeared that the area is family oriented and that it would be a good place to raise children. Do you generally find this to be true? Are there any specific problems to be aware of? I see most state there is not much to do in the Lake area, but I find that to be true here as well. For a large city there is not much to do beyond the zoo, shopping or some outdoor activities if you want to brave the constant blast furnace 100+ weather in the summer, with humidity thrown in during the "monsoon" rainy season in July and August.

It also seems the Lake area has a relatively strong economy with comparatively low cost of living. Does anyone have any insight into job prospects in the Emergency Medical Services? It seems Acadian Ambulance has a good reputation, but I have been able to find very little regarding thier pay rates. Does anyone know what an EMT might make at Acadian (4 years experience)?

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:59 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
I can tell you that I personally cannot abide the climate in Lake Charles. It is just too hot and humid in the summer. That said, I have a family that lives in Lake Charles (including several neices and nephews) and I have visited them on numerous occasions. They love it. It has been a nice, small-ish town for my neices and nephews to grow up in and they seem to have thrived there in terms of academics and sports (it helps that it is not the world's most competitive pool of students/athletes there). In terms of crime, like anywhere, a lot will depend on where you live. My family has not encountered any significant problems to my knowledge. I would not go so far to say the city is affluent and that crime does not exist, but I don't know if it is any different from comparable cities throughout the country. Bottom line...if you can handle the climate -- the city's worst feature -- and you are looking for a small town, you might find things to like in southwestern Louisiana.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:04 AM

7 posts, read 33,778 times
Thank you for the reply, it is good to know that young people have had a positive experience growing up in Lake Charles.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:05 PM

13 posts, read 42,242 times
This reply may be a little late for you, but I hope it helps. I just relocated to Charlotte (with an extremely heavy heart) from LCH. I raised my daughters there, and they are now raising their children there. It's a great town to raise kids, just a different culture than you might be used to. My oldest daughter and her husband just finished building their 2nd house in "the 'Bluff". Yes, it does matter where you live. The schools in Moss Bluff are the most sought after....behind the private schools.

What I did find there is the cost of living is not equal to the pay, unless you are employed by one of the plants. I know of Acadian Ambulance, but I wouldn't have a clue as to what they pay. So, good luck with the job hunt.

On the positive side, it is family oriented. Mardi Gras is AWESOME there!!! You don't have all that crap that goes on in NOLA. There are several activities that are geared towards kids. Hope you can find your way into a Krewe...it is a great experience!

I loved raising my children there, as I hope you will! I miss it terribly and am counting the days until I am able to move back home.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,318 times
If you are getting tired of Tucson then Lake Charles isnt too bad of a place to move to. I know, I did the exact same thing myself a few years ago. Before you leave Tucson though you might wanna get one last meal from ***** Witches because there is nothing in L.C. like it.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,052 times
My husband has lived in Moss Bluff his entire life! I grew up primarily in LC and Moss Bluff is defanately the place to raise kids! The schools are awesome. I have a 14, 10, 7, & 4 year old and they love Moss bluff! They are all Honor students and into the sports around here and I am very proud!!! I have so many friends. I just love it here. But I have to admit that the summers are brutal! I lived in Washington state near Yakima Valley when I was a young child for 4 years and I would love to move there again. If I could only move the whole family and all my awesome friends ! The climate there is more for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana