Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 08:46 AM

450 posts, read 2,056,802 times

Advertisements

Spent Christmas and New Years at the lake on the Louisiana side, Sabine Parish. Rented the usual cabin right on the lake with fantastic view. Went across Pendleton Bridge everyday to Texas to have breakfast at Calfee's Marina. You get eggs, grits, toast and coffee for $4! All the coffee you want. Add another dollar for some sausage or bacon. Can you beat those prices? Lots of moderate income retired folks there just talking and very laid back. Here is the typical day at T-Bend for most people in that bracket. Get up and have breakfast at 9:00. Hit the lake for some fishin or just cruising around a bit. By early afternoon you might want to go to Toledo Town, Hemphill, or Many for some shopping errands or medical.

You always meet people you know at the stores or the bank or whatever. Back home and putter around the dock or fish house or yard or leisurely walk amongst the pines. Late afternoon some friends over for beverages. Sit on the porch and watch the sunset and get ready for the next day. Of course, there are social clubs, church, et. al. A very simple life and not for those in the fast lane. I don't hunt, but there is plenty of that, too. Went up to Converse SRA recreation area and had the place to myself. A fantastic day with blue sky, temperature around 65-70, and a nice gentle breeze off the lake. Big pines and lapping water. A good place for a picnic.

Of course, I am still working in Florida so am not enjoying the lifestyle. But I have gotten to know lots of people--Farm Bureau Agent in Many talked to me about an excellent medical insurance plan for those too young for Medicare and not on employee health plan. I ended up at his home and he showed me the sights at his end of the big lake.

Can you afford it? You bet! This is the least expensive and most beautiful location undiscovered for me. Two bedroom house off the lake but nearby with an acre of land--you can get it for under 100K. You can get something on the lake for a bit over that--it will be modest but nice and clean. Lots of double-wide trailers made into places with porches and outbuildings--very reasonable. Taxes are very low.

This is for the average Joe and Jane. Not a resort area per se--but there are pockets of affluence and 2 nice golf courses.

Much of the lake has submerged timber with boat lanes cut through it--so it is not a high-powered wave runner, ski-boat area. It is a lake for bass boats, canoes, kayaks--lots of wildlife to observe. I have never seen a gator. The main lake has too much active water or wind for them. But they are there in the back bayous. There are areas where you can do water sports--especially on the south end of the lake. This is the largest reservoir in the entire South so you have lots of room. Build a boathouse at the water's edge and put in a dock or pier. No setback regulations on that.

Yes, it gets hot in Summer. But the lake is so big and breezes are always blowing up on it to cool things down a bit. Come and see for yourself! Oh, and it is far enough inland not to get the brunt of the hurricanes. You will get some wind but it shouldn't knock your house over like in Florida. And the big storms don't make it in here that often. People from Houston and South Louisiana have hurricane retreats or fish camps here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,762 times
Agreed on the beauty. Your opinions are from the LA side only, correct.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:56 AM

763 posts, read 2,661,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Spent Christmas and New Years at the lake on the Louisiana side, Sabine Parish. Rented the usual cabin right on the lake with fantastic view. Went across Pendleton Bridge everyday to Texas to have breakfast at Calfee's Marina. You get eggs, grits, toast and coffee for $4! All the coffee you want. Add another dollar for some sausage or bacon. Can you beat those prices? Lots of moderate income retired folks there just talking and very laid back. Here is the typical day at T-Bend for most people in that bracket. Get up and have breakfast at 9:00. Hit the lake for some fishin or just cruising around a bit. By early afternoon you might want to go to Toledo Town, Hemphill, or Many for some shopping errands or medical.

You always meet people you know at the stores or the bank or whatever. Back home and putter around the dock or fish house or yard or leisurely walk amongst the pines. Late afternoon some friends over for beverages. Sit on the porch and watch the sunset and get ready for the next day. Of course, there are social clubs, church, et. al. A very simple life and not for those in the fast lane. I don't hunt, but there is plenty of that, too. Went up to Converse SRA recreation area and had the place to myself. A fantastic day with blue sky, temperature around 65-70, and a nice gentle breeze off the lake. Big pines and lapping water. A good place for a picnic.

Of course, I am still working in Florida so am not enjoying the lifestyle. But I have gotten to know lots of people--Farm Bureau Agent in Many talked to me about an excellent medical insurance plan for those too young for Medicare and not on employee health plan. I ended up at his home and he showed me the sights at his end of the big lake.

Can you afford it? You bet! This is the least expensive and most beautiful location undiscovered for me. Two bedroom house off the lake but nearby with an acre of land--you can get it for under 100K. You can get something on the lake for a bit over that--it will be modest but nice and clean. Lots of double-wide trailers made into places with porches and outbuildings--very reasonable. Taxes are very low.

This is for the average Joe and Jane. Not a resort area per se--but there are pockets of affluence and 2 nice golf courses.

Much of the lake has submerged timber with boat lanes cut through it--so it is not a high-powered wave runner, ski-boat area. It is a lake for bass boats, canoes, kayaks--lots of wildlife to observe. I have never seen a gator. The main lake has too much active water or wind for them. But they are there in the back bayous. There are areas where you can do water sports--especially on the south end of the lake. This is the largest reservoir in the entire South so you have lots of room. Build a boathouse at the water's edge and put in a dock or pier. No setback regulations on that.

Yes, it gets hot in Summer. But the lake is so big and breezes are always blowing up on it to cool things down a bit. Come and see for yourself! Oh, and it is far enough inland not to get the brunt of the hurricanes. You will get some wind but it shouldn't knock your house over like in Florida. And the big storms don't make it in here that often. People from Houston and South Louisiana have hurricane retreats or fish camps here.
We use to go to Shelbyville, Texas, which is close to the lake to visit some of my wife's family. I agree, very nice and laid back place with very good fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana