Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 09:31 AM

420 posts, read 478,579 times

Advertisements

I was one tired driver this rainy morning after a long night. It kinda reminded me of when I was paperboy driving sleep while throwing papers. I managed to keep that job for a year, only problem was I would wake up in a ditch sometimes(Seriously).

Well I thought about those ditch drive-in this morning since I was so sleepy driving. During the times I traveled alot, I noticed there werent many ditches in my travels. Im not talking canal ditches, Im talking in front of the house ditches, like house to house to house, there are ditches. About half of Monroe's homes have ditches in front of their yards for drainage. I know we have a big flood problem up here like southern Louisiana, but Im wondering, are there ditches in front of peoples homes like that eslewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 01:07 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,411,780 times
I would like to have a moat around my house. I'd fill it with gators and snakes to ward off the criminals in the area who have no trouble breaking into my neighbors' homes.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:29 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Most people have a ditch but it is covered up and passed through a culvert. My parents house and my house on the southside do have ditches in front.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:54 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
I don't have a ditch I have storm drains, but I guess it's the same concept.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:45 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
I guess it may have been cheaper to dig a ditch than to form a curb. Seems like it would attract snakes and mosquitos though

Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM

81 posts, read 294,975 times
I grew up in the inner-city, so we had old crumbling streets and broken-up sidewalks, but it was better than nothing. Now I live in a rural part of Bossier Parish in a small subdivision, and I have a ditch in my front yard. It's so odd for part of the year to have crawfish mounds out in front of my house!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:51 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,082 times
Monroe has more ditches than place I can think of right now.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
We have them here in Houston, very common.

drainage ditch in front of house (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kingwood_hughes/2084593851/sizes/o/ - broken link)

regarding mosquitoes, the association dues go to have a truck spray every so often. You can sit in my yard on just about any evening in summer and go back in the house with maybe 1 bite on your ankles.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:05 AM

31 posts, read 104,320 times
I refused to buy a house on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain because of the ditches in the front yard. It looks like all of the sub divisions have a ditch in the front and side yards if you have a corner lot. To me it looks cheap and is an indication that the local government is too poor to place underground drainage in their neighborhoods. It is also an attraction to mesquitoes and snakes.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:16 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litedave View Post
I refused to buy a house on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain because of the ditches in the front yard. It looks like all of the sub divisions have a ditch in the front and side yards if you have a corner lot. To me it looks cheap and is an indication that the local government is too poor to place underground drainage in their neighborhoods. It is also an attraction to mesquitoes and snakes.
Is it lonely up there on your high horse?

Don't blame the local government, blame the developer. The lots were probably sold cheaper than those in neighborhoods that were already fitted with underground drainage (which exist. I know, because my sister lives in one). It sounds like that developer was leaving it up to the owner to install their own culverts with the money they saved on the lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana